New Gas Tank for 1926 Buick Coupe

AzBob

Just received my new stainless gas tank fabricated by Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts. A solid well crafted piece.:cool: Photos show prep and after painting. The original tank was rusted out beyond repair.

Bob

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

Edited by AzBob
Removed duplicate photos. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/4/2014 at 5:26 PM, AzBob said:

Just received my new stainless gas tank fabricated by Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts. A solid well crafted piece.:cool: Photos show prep and after painting. The original tank was rusted out beyond repair.

Bob

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

Bob,

My 24-45 gas tank is rusty inside, and is springing leaks.

I am considering what I should do about it.  The tank is out of the car.

Other threads suggest different coatings, and the best suggestion seems to be a Gas Tank RENU process that is lifetime warranted, for what seems to be in the $700 range.

How does your fabricated tank compare in terms of price?

Are there any other features missing in the fabrication, other than the indented side panels?

052316 24 buick gas tank removal (222).JPG

27donb,

The stainless tank was pricey at $900. However, it is very well constructed and of course will never rust. New stainless steel straps were included.

They were able to precisely locate the fuel pickup, gauge and filler tubes. They can even replicate the indented side panels for an additional cost. In retrospect, I should have had those fabricated as well.  Not only does it replicate the original, they act as handles when one is manuevering the tank into position. A drain plug is optional. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AzBob said:

27donb,

The stainless tank was pricey at $900. However, it is very well constructed and of course will never rust. New stainless steel straps were included.

They were able to precisely locate the fuel pickup, gauge and filler tubes. They can even replicate the indented side panels for an additional cost. In retrospect, I should have had those fabricated as well.  Not only does it replicate the original, they act as handles when one is manuevering the tank into position. A drain plug is optional. 

Bob,

Thank you for the information, I do like the tank.  It's a hard decision, to spend $700 and get an original tank coated that may not have the original painted finish anymore, or just spend the extra and get a tank like yours made that can be painted to look original.

Did you opt for the drain plug too?

Don

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 22Coupe

The cost for Gas Tank Renu on my tank (see my other thread) was $375. So, $700 is way high. If you opt for the stainless tank I would get the drain plug just that it looks more original and you may need to drain it some time?

Cheers,

Gary

10 hours ago, 22Coupe said:

The cost for Gas Tank Renu on my tank (see my other thread) was $375. So, $700 is way high. If you opt for the stainless tank I would get the drain plug just that it looks more original and you may need to drain it some time?

Cheers,

Gary

I agree, I would get the drain plug so that by some appearances, it might look more original.

I am undecided as to what I should do.  Maybe I will try to solder up the leaks and my intention was to double filter the fuel coming out of it anyway.

It's on the project sidelines now, I've moved on to re-wiring.

18 hours ago, 22Coupe said:

18 hours ago, 22Coupe said:

If you opt for the stainless tank I would get the drain plug just that it looks more original and you may need to drain it some time?

The original tank on my 1926-26 did not have a drain plug. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AzBob said:

The original tank on my 1926-26 did not have a drain plug. 

Interesting!  My 27's Master and Standard have a drain plug.  I wonder why they changed the design and then went back...

• Like 1

Just referenced the Master Parts List book and apparently the original tank was equipped with a drain plug!

The bottom of my original tank had undergone repairs in the past and the drain plug must have been eliminated along the way. Always something to learn about these old Buicks.

• Like 2

Bob:

Were you able to source a fuel pick up filter? I had a 1927 standard tank redone to use as a spare for my 1925-25. I tried various searches to find something close with the 5/16" ID and a 9/16" OD,  2 5/8" long. None of the descriptions ever have the OD. So I have several part # for Mopar, Ford and such with 5/16 ID. I will have to go to the parts store to plead with them to find a few to compare.

• Like 1

Larry, 

I plan to install a fuel filter in the fuel line near the rear of the car.  Then I was planning not to bother with using the filter on the pick up tube.  I thought in the long run, this would be easier to maintain.  Restoration supply sells one with a glass bowl and replaceable cartridge.    

Hugh

18 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Bob:

Were you able to source a fuel pick up filter? I had a 1927 standard tank redone to use as a spare for my 1925-25. I tried various searches to find something close with the 5/16" ID and a 9/16" OD,  2 5/8" long. None of the descriptions ever have the OD. So I have several part # for Mopar, Ford and such with 5/16 ID. I will have to go to the parts store to plead with them to find a few to compare.

Larry, I am not running a pickup tube screen at this time. Mine was poor shape so I simply desoldered it from the tube. This enabled me to thoroughly clean the pickup tube.  I installed one of those glass inline filters with cleanable / replaceable screen elements just below the inlet to the vacuum tank. Have maintained the screens in the sediment bowl and carburetor inlet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Bob:

Were you able to source a fuel pick up filter? I had a 1927 standard tank redone to use as a spare for my 1925-25. I tried various searches to find something close with the 5/16" ID and a 9/16" OD,  2 5/8" long. None of the descriptions ever have the OD.

I am going to "try" this screen on my 24-45.  It is not soldered on or installed yet.  The collared end has to be removed, and then soldered to the tube.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-BUG-BUS-GHIA-FUEL-TANK-SCREEN-111209147A-MADE-IN-GERMANY-/251541156870?fits=Make%3AVolkswagen|Model%3ASuper+Beetle&hash=item3a91057406:g:0GAAAOSw3ydVxYgG&vxp=mtr

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The first and last photos are what the pick up tube looks like with and without the filter screen.  The screen is 2 3/4 inches long.  It does not have to be exact.  Just be sure that the bottom of the tube is about 1/9 inch below the above the bottom of the filter.'

I made the screen by wraping the screen around a 3/8 inch dowel, tying it with some copper wire strands from an old lamp cord and soldering it on the seam.   The top is a piece of brass tubing.  It does not hve to be exact size.  The solder will fill the holes.

For 1924 4 Cyl. the overall length of the tube with the screen attached (the screen extends 1/8 inch below the length of the tube) measuring from the lower part of the hex  is 10 5/8 inches

For 1924 6 cyl. and all models through 1927 the length of the  tube is 12 1/16 inches

The inside diameter of the copper tube is 1/4 inch.   If the outside diameter is too big, you can file it down or drill the hole in the plug a little bigger and if too small, the solder should fill it in.   Mainly 1/4 inch I.,D.

I did not find the first part of this post so If I gave an answer you were not looking for, send me a note at fred.rawling@live.com or call me.  562 644-4670

IMG_7049.JPG

IMG_7050.JPG

IMG_7051.JPG

IMG_7052.JPG

IMG_7054.JPG

IMG_7055.JPG

• Like 3

Fred:

Thanks for the photos. I inquired at all the usual Auto parts stores. No one has any reference for these pick up screens as they are usually part of the assembly. So the other night I did the exact same operation on some very fine screen. I believe mine is a stainless screen and was more difficult to solder. We will compare notes when I install mine.

• Like 1