tank gas gauge removal 1922 coupe

Guest southernal

Guest southernal

ok have bought a gas tank for my coupe. I would like to remove the gauge, so I can do a resto on it .. seems as if its threaded and removable, is the bezel left or right hand thread? I don't want to break the glass by over tightening it

thanks Al

Normal right hand thread. If it's not been off it could be rusted tight and very difficult to remove without damage. If you can get it Ambersil Rust Flash spray could be used. It works by freezing and penetrating oil. Only use a soldering iron if you use heat. I got mine off o.k. by wrapping a strip of emery cloth round it to protect it from the curved jaws of Mole grips. Don't over tighten the grips.

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

I got mine off by using another DB owner's idea: Drill a 2-inch hole into a small square piece of 1/2" to 3/4" solid wood. Because the gauge has a slightly larger diameter at the bottom than at the top, you can safely push the piece of wood down on the gauge until tight and then unscrew it employing the friction of the wood circle cutout on the gauge. Good luck.

The Ambersil Rust Flash spray that Ray suggests is an excellent choice when a torch can lead to explosive results. I use the "redneck" version, PB Blaster and can of compressed air held upside down. I alternate flash freezing with a spray of penetrating solvent. Wear gloves. The upside down can of compressed air can flash freeze skin too!