Chrome vendor vs. cost?

After reading a post yesterday regarding the cost of chrome for a radiator shell I thought I'd ask about platers you are happy with and maybe associated costs. I think I am looking at twice what I thought it would cost to do plating and right now doesn't seem in my budget. I was going to go through Paul's , but if anyone else has had a happy experience w/ a plater I'd love to know! Thanks!

Yes, it was Paul's Chrome near Pittsburgh...I know they have a great reputation...it's just I thought the chrome aspect of my car would be half of what's really required.....I just wonder where people on a tighter budget go for their chrome work.....OR.....do they just suck it up and do it by holding off on paint and upholstery?

You might want to consider Speed & Sport Chrome Plating in SE Houston. They've done a lot of work for me and I've been very happy with them. I do drive the parts to them so we can have the discussion of what any problems and potential outcomes and prices will be. Sometimes I have them ship when done or I might pick up. I live west of San Antonio so its pretty much all day to drive there meet with them and come home.

Chrome is like any aspect of restoration, more expensive than one would wish.....

Some shops will quote you "factory" chrome versus show chrome. Factory will show some waves and such, show chrome should be optically correct. Figure half cost for factory chrome...

Even then chrome paint and upholstery costs are the reasons so many project cars can be had reasonably, or apparently so.

An old saying is that's it's cheaper to pay the bank interest, on a loan for a restored car, than pay restoration costs....

Yes, a lot of us restore because we enjoy the process, but it's not a way to increase net worth...

Chrome work on radiator shells is expensive. Many factors involved:

1) Heavy rust pits require multiple platings and polishing to fill in the pits in the shell.

2) All areas that have rusted through will require removal and replacement with new metal.

3) Not sure about nickel plating vs chrome. Is nickel plate more expensive?

Very labor intensive process but defiantly the finishing touch.

3) Not sure about nickel plating vs chrome. Is nickel plate more expensive?

Very labor intensive process but defiantly the finishing touch.

Triple plating = Cu + Ni + Cr. Thus it should be less cost to leave out the chrome. However, you may need more Ni and the Ni might be polished on a cotton wheel if you don't use Cr. This may be part of the reason they went to Cr - better colour, doesn't tarnish, don't need to polish the Ni.

Ni vs. Cr should come down to what was on the car? Pre-'28-'29 it should be Ni.