Another white one..................oh wait Dual Quads!

Guest clamshells

Agreed, a really nice looking car. Did anyone notice the way it's equipped in the pictures and the way it was originally equipped according to the data plate? The data plate show only EZI glass, a/c, and 5O (five oh is not listed on the ROA's website and I've never seen it before.) But the car has remote mirrors, electric antenna, rear defroster, and it has wood grain in the console rather than the black vinyl. Who ever restored it restored it to an idea rather than to the way if was delivered. Any mention of a KW numbers matching engine? I always wonder why a person would order the Super Wildcat Option and not include the custom interior.

Still an attractive car.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Should be a KX coded numbers matching engine.

"Should be" is the magic phrase here. No indications in the text that this is the case. Makes you wonder of the dual quad set up was added like the other options were added - not part of the way it came from the factory. I contacted the seller and asked for pictures of the production code (KW) and the VIN plate and matching engine serial code number. I'll let you know what kind of response I get.

Ed

Guest clamshells
Agreed, a really nice looking car. Did anyone notice the way it's equipped in the pictures and the way it was originally equipped according to the data plate? The data plate show only EZI glass, a/c, and 5O (five oh is not listed on the ROA's website and I've never seen it before.) But the car has remote mirrors, electric antenna, rear defroster, and it has wood grain in the console rather than the black vinyl. Who ever restored it restored it to an idea rather than to the way if was delivered. Any mention of a KW numbers matching engine? I always wonder why a person would order the Super Wildcat Option and not include the custom interior.

Still an attractive car.

Ed

Yes I noticed the codes and the options were definitely added. The wood does look nice. I wrote requesting the KX and VIN verified..........no response as of yet.

What the heck happened to the drivers side exhaust pipe near the motor?

5-0 maybe it was a cop car?

The 5O Fisher Code is "seat belt delete". This car was built after Jan 1 `64 so would have been delivered with front seat belts as standard equipment. Whoever ordered it did not want the seat belts so chose the delete option, probably with a credit (would need to check the literature to confirm a credit). If you`ll notice the front seat belts are the `65 custom variety.

Tom Mooney

Guest clamshells
The 5O Fisher Code is "seat belt delete". This car was built after Jan 1 `64 so would have been delivered with front seat belts as standard equipment. Whoever ordered it did not want the seat belts so chose the delete option, probably with a credit (would need to check the literature to confirm a credit). If you`ll notice the front seat belts are the `65 custom variety.

Tom Mooney

While your at it Tom what is all this mean?

post-98889-143142573277_thumb.jpg

While your at it Tom what is all this mean?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]254118[/ATTACH]

You can decode it yourself. There's a link on the ROA's website (member's only section) that tells you what each letter in each group stands for. The EXNTS are all in group one, the others have the group in front of the letter. If there's one on the tag that's not on the website it's probably one in the 3 group. Just remember, the body had to be modified (a hole drilled, or a flange welded on) and the back half of the car was assembled at Flint. Other options, like four note horns, tilt wheel, etc., were installed at final assembly and no modifications were required. Give it a try, it's easy enough to learn how.

Ed

Guest clamshells
You can decode it yourself. There's a link on the ROA's website (member's only section) that tells you what each letter in each group stands for. The EXNTS are all in group one, the others have the group in front of the letter. If there's one on the tag that's not on the website it's probably one in the 3 group. Just remember, the body had to be modified (a hole drilled, or a flange welded on) and the back half of the car was assembled at Flint. Other options, like four note horns, tilt wheel, etc., were installed at final assembly and no modifications were required. Give it a try, it's easy enough to learn how.

Ed

I've referenced the codes in the link. EXNTS all matches the car's options. Group 2's K doesn't exist, group 3's B is also a no show, once again the K the last group isn't on the list, but W suggests rocker trim which would have come with the deluxe interior. The Ghost is the same way the codes don't add up and IMO are not 100% accurate.

If I am missing something by all means school me.

Mike

Guest clamshells
Another Red Flag. Has 66 valve cover. No pic or specific mention of KX. Maybe for good reason. If it is a true matching KX then they get an "F" for their marketing skills!

In car salesman lingo matching numbers KW means "matching numbers" don't you know?

LOL

Guest Gseago

2KR- Air Conditioner, Rear seat speaker

3BT- Rear Defroster?

4F- Remote mirror

5KW- Seat belts w/ retractor, Door guard moldings

Ed

Both Fisher body and Buick assembly were located in Flint at this time. Their buildings were a few blocks from one another.

Fisher Body completed the body from the firewall back, sent the body to Buick final assembly, and Buick completed the car. So, Fisher Body completed the back half of the car from the firewall back and Buick assembly assembled the car to completion.

Tom Mooney

I've referenced the codes in the link. EXNTS all matches the car's options. Group 2's K doesn't exist, group 3's B is also a no show, once again the K the last group isn't on the list, but W suggests rocker trim which would have come with the deluxe interior. The Ghost is the same way the codes don't add up and IMO are not 100% accurate.

If I am missing something by all means school me.

Mike

Here's some copy and paste from the ROA's website.

Group No. 2

2A

Front Seat Rubber

2J

Rear Seat Rubber

2Y

Two-Tone Paint

2H

Delete Heater

Air Conditioner

2D

Air Conditioner Modification

2L

4-Speed Transmission

2Z

Automatic Transmission

2P

Back-up Lights

2R

Rear Seat Speaker

Rocker moldings were not available on '64 Rivieras, '65 was the first year for that application.

I'm talking about the car in the first post. There are now two data plates being discussed which leads to confusion. It's very simple to start a new thread when situations like this occur. In other words "No Hijacking"

So, which car are we discussing here?

Ed

PS - A couple of things to remember when looking at the codes on the Rivowners website. 1) The codes are for all full sized Buicks. Some things that were options on other cars are standard on Rivieras. So there's a lot of codes on the website that are not applicable to Rivieras. 2) There are codes missing from the website. As you read them in different threads, you just have to make mental notes as to what they are. Tom referenced two previously - the 5O (oh, not zero) for the seat belt delete and the 3B and 3T for the rear defroster and the rear seat arm rest. The website is good but it's not 100%. When we return from Colorado, if someone will remind me, I'll contact Mike - webmaster - and have him make some corrections, additions, and deletions.

Another Red Flag. Has 66 valve cover. No pic or specific mention of KX. Maybe for good reason. If it is a true matching KX then they get an "F" for their marketing skills!

Let's really get down to brass tacks, Let's ask the seller for carb numbers and the casting number from the intake manifold.

Ed

Yes. Option code D5 (the car's data tag will only have a D on it and perhaps a 2R if equipped with a rear seat speaker.)

D-1 AM Radio, Manual Antenna 90.30

D-2 AM Radio, Electric Antenna 116.37

D-3 Wonder Bar, Manual Antenna 126.85

D-4 Wonder Bar, Electric Antenna 152.92

D-5 AM-FM Radio - Electric Antenna 178.99

If I do the math correctly, it looks like the electric antenna is an additional $26.07 - Try to find one for that price today :rolleyes:

Just a thought about the old prices; in 1979 I bought the tilt column and wood wheel as an assembly at a swap meet for $30. The horn bar was broken. Bennett Buick, in Wayland, New York diligently searched and found me what may have been the last NOS horn bar ever sold. It was $17.00 and some change.

It is not bad remembering those old prices when you bought stuff and still have it.

Bernie

Yes. Option code D5 (the car's data tag will only have a D on it and perhaps a 2R if equipped with a rear seat speaker.)

D-1 AM Radio, Manual Antenna 90.30

D-2 AM Radio, Electric Antenna 116.37

D-3 Wonder Bar, Manual Antenna 126.85

D-4 Wonder Bar, Electric Antenna 152.92

D-5 AM-FM Radio - Electric Antenna 178.99

If I do the math correctly, it looks like the electric antenna is an additional $26.07 - Try to find one for that price today :rolleyes:

Ed That's about what you paid for the antenna on your latest Riv purchase...

I just received this from the seller who is selling it on consignment for the owner. Kind of sad for the owner.

Here's what I just received:

"Hello,

Thank you for your question about the 1964 Buick. This car is here on our floor on consignment and until yours and another customers email we never verified the consigners representation of the fact that the car was a true dual quad car. We have now and unfortunately it is not numbers matching. He wasn't aware of this inconsistency when he originally purchased the car and is obviously very disappointed to discover this. While the car is not a true dual quad car it is a nice as it looks in the photos. If you'd still be interested in the car we'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have. I'll be adding a note to the auction to make other bidders aware of this fact. Thank you for taking the time to inquire about this car and help to bring this to our attention.

Sincerely,

Cary"

There you go. I haven't looked yet to see if any addendums have been added to the notes about the car. Hopefully they will be, as the seller said he would add them.

Ed

Well, on the up side, most of the activity in the online discussion was among Riviera owners whom already have one and probably wouldn't have bought that one anyway.

Then there is the fact it is an Ebay "reserve not met car". No one is lonely when that group gets together. Surprisingly the reserve was met in May, but for some reason the buyer didn't take delivery of the car.

Kind of like calculus, all the factors contribute to a formula that equals 0.

Bernie