58 Pulls to right when braking

bubba

Everything is new. Pulls to right but gets better when warmed up. Had surface of front drums cut and that just about fixed it till next time I drove it. A mechanic who worked on these cars told me to put cast iron drums on front and that this was a common problem with aluminum. Any NOS cast drums around or can somebody recommend a good supplier of replacement drums?

I have spent a lot of time trying to get the master cylinder to work correctly and finally ended up with a brand new dual master.

I didn't change anything that can't be put back to original. It almost works too well now. Need seat belts next!

Car pulled the same way with the original master.

thanks

Just a thought, but I wonder if a worn part in the front suspension on either side might be causing your condition. Perhaps a control arm bushing could be worn, and when you apply the brakes, it shifts position enough to cause it to pull to one side. Upon acceleration, it shifts back into proper position and you go straight. This may be accompanied by a slight click or snapping sound. It might be worth a thorough investigation.

That is NOT a common problem with aluminum finned drums. Many reasons for pulling: brake hoses, bleeding deficiencies, contaminated shoes, poor adjustment of shoes (may need to seat...check adjustment every few day for awhile), wheel alignment (excessive toe-out), should have a short and long shoe --- install short shoe toward the front ( I have seen alternate combinations and they all caused pulling)...

Willie

Guest j49plymouth

Have you replaced your wheel cylinders? front and rear? A frozen cylinder will cause a pull.

TJ55 yes , both shoes and hoses are new.

Larry W. my friend mechanic was checking that last night. He'll have to come back.

Old tank , j49- will check some of your suggestions. Everything was replaced except drums. Front shoes were changed twice. There was kind of an oxidation film on them so that is why they were changed and the drums resurfaced.

Thanks to all that replied so far.

Bubba,

Something else you might want to inspect would be the steering coupling at the power steering box. I had one that eventually cracked and there was a lot of slop in the steering. Admittedly it was both ways but with a slightly out of adjustment front brake it could enhance the pull. These 4 thousand pound cars do tend to follow the slant in the road especially with bias ply tires if you have those.

Just a thought.