1950 Buick flywheel questions & needed. HELP!

KdFwagen

Hi guys, I'm in need of a nice used or preferably NOS flywheel for my 1950 Buick Roadmaster.

I also heard that the flywheel can be flipped around if need be. (I would rather put new) Anyone ever do that?

Car is in the shop now waiting for me to find one.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks guys.

The fly wheel ring is not available (I've been finding out so far) for the Dynaflow transmission. The Manual transmission flywheels are the only ones available. It's a shame as all mechanicals were new or rebuilt only 300 miles ago. While driving about 60mph on the highway the starter engaged! I was so bummed. I got different opinions if it could be cleaned up & used or not. The mechanic who has it now feels it shouldn't be used.

We believe it was the old wiring, but going though everything to find out why the starter engaged like that in the first place.

Edited by KdFwagen
Part Name Mistake (see edit history)

I have a few NOS flywheels, but they are not identified. If I had a photo and measurements of yours, I could compare with what I have.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx

Ok Pete, thanks for that! I believe he's taking the motor out over the next several days. I will take pictures and measurements of it when he does. Thanks again.

The roadmasters usually had a bearing between the armature and the bendix that the small series did not.

ok, thanks for that.

we decided to have the starter that's in there completely rebuilt (again). There is a several week turn around time doing it that way, but since the mechanic has other work to do it shouldn't be holding him up too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the flywheel is out. Now the hunt begins.

Does anybody have one?

Measurements are:

15 5/8" across

156 Teeth

The ring is welded on so it cannot be removed & flipped around.

No one makes a new aftermarket one (for the Dynaflow trans), so any suggestions where I can buy a used one?

I took photos of it but can't upload them for some reason.

• 1 month later...

Well, the 1950 Flywheel I needed I found 2, only they were both worse shape than mine was!

I needed to go another route.

Had the one from my car restored by a machine shop that specializes in restoring Flywheels. Who knew?

Northwestern Transmission Parts in Winchester Ohio. They weld each tooth and machine it down to like new.

Figured I would share that with you guys incase anyone ever runs into that same problem.