99 Park Ave "Rust"

Mudbone

I have been considering replacing the 99 Park Ave as it is 15 years old, and a bunch of little things are starting to crop up. It still runs and drives great. Today I am convinced I need to replace the car. I noticed some rust stains on the driveway under the driver’s door. I reached underneath by the uni-body frame/rocker panel and got a handful of rust. Now it looks like I need to find a car soon as I don’t think I will be driving this to Colorado in August. Mud

post-50945-143142521493_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142521509_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142521521_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142521533_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142521545_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142521557_thumb.jpg

post-50945-14314252157_thumb.jpg

Yikes! I would be afraid to drive it around the block. Anyhow it looks like you will get the same $400 from the junk yard that I did for my wife's car (92 merc marquis 340,000 miles, bad tranny, no rust and pristine inside and out). They all die, but it depends on location as to the cause.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4446682733.html

Fly in an drive home...I'm 35 miles away so you could stop by and play with my toys :D.

Willie

Guest 53 Roady

Trust in the marvels of redundancy and drive it till ....My 96 Dodge truck is at 241,000 and rusted bad but still drives better than any truck I ever had. The only sad part is that we can't really restore them. I want to keep the 360 but I already have a 371 and 400 Olds and gave away the 460 Lincoln.

Pat

Yikes! I would be afraid to drive it around the block. Anyhow it looks like you will get the same $400 from the junk yard that I did for my wife's car (92 merc marquis 340,000 miles, bad tranny, no rust and pristine inside and out). They all die, but it depends on location as to the cause.

Fly in an drive home...I'm 35 miles away so you could stop by and play with my toys :D.

Willie

And ride up the road for some great bar-b-que too maybe..... if you go, hold the back of your head if he takes you for a ride in the Buford. I still have whiplash from hitting second gear.

I had a '93 PA Ultra in the mid 1990's. In the salt belt other cars were already showing rot. Mine was solid so I took the cowl grilles off and let about a quart of transmission fluid run down and soak the drain passages in the rockers. The car was great when I sold it.

Tranny fluid has a high "creep" factor. Put a drop on the garage floor and see.

Bernie

I had a '93 PA Ultra in the mid 1990's. In the salt belt other cars were already showing rot. Mine was solid so I took the cowl grilles off and let about a quart of transmission fluid run down and soak the drain passages in the rockers. The car was great when I sold it.

Tranny fluid has a high "creep" factor. Put a drop on the garage floor and see.

Bernie

It’s a little too late for this one. I don’t think the car is going to break in half or anything but at this point I do not want to spend any more money on it. Fuel sender/pump $300.00, Two tires $300.00 Etc-Etc. I just drove a 2011 Regal Turbo. Nice car but very stiff Ride. I am going to look at a 2007 Lucerne with 32,000 miles on it tonight. I have not driven a Lacrosse yet, there still a little pricey for me. Mud

(I like Buick’s that are Quiet, Powerful and Smooth)

HEY MUD........ DON'T DRIVE IT TOO FAR ANY MORE PLEASE!

This just happened to my son's 1995 Buick LeSabre on Saturday!

post-36036-143142523629_thumb.jpg

He and his girlfriend were on their way to getting on the Expressway and forgot something at home, turned around and the steering was totally lost. He hit the bakes and hit the curb but no one was hurt.

Can you imagine if that had happened on the expressway at 60MPH?????

This thing supposedly passed a Safety Check when he bought it 9 months ago.....

post-36036-143142523619_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142523625_thumb.jpg

The Lucerne is a good choice if you want similar to what you had. It is close to the platform the final Riviera used and I really liked driving the '95 Riviera I had.

I'm still not a big fan of inibody or crosswise engines OR stuff that advertises horsepower at 6500 RPM. Too bad about Cadillac, just when I thought they might have got the Northstar durable a friend called, on Saturday, and asked how much to fix a head gasket on his 2006 or 07.

My '93 Park ave was a nice enough car, although it did convince me that separate body and frame construction, 8 cylinders, a longitudinal engine, and rear wheels pushing was the epitome of design. Call me anachronistic, too many compromises are crammed into the front two feet of the current cars.

I have 145,000 on my '05 Silverado. Three years ago I bought a 1994 Impala SS for Sunday go to meeting use. And when the truck gives up I will be looking for a Tahoe or Escalade.

Oh! I do have one FWD, unibody, cross engine car. I had to thoroughly inspect it first:

0922111915.jpg

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest 53 Roady

My wife's 98 T0wn Car has 240,000 on it and gets 22.5 MPG on a trip. I passed up a Caddie with 110,000 miles for cheap last week. I'd like to break 30 mpg but what do you follow a Town Car with? It is probably the last car I can fix.

Pat

HEY MUD........ DON'T DRIVE IT TOO FAR ANY MORE PLEASE!

This just happened to my son's 1995 Buick LeSabre on Saturday!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]248766[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]248767[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]248768[/ATTACH]

He and his girlfriend were on their way to getting on the Expressway and forgot something at home, turned around and the steering was totally lost. He hit the bakes and hit the curb but no one was hurt.

Can you imagine if that had happened on the expressway at 60MPH?????

This thing supposedly passed a Safety Check when he bought it 9 months ago.....

Yikes! My wife said today when she pulled in the driveway she heard a big clunk. It never makes a big clunk. We test drove a 2007 Lucerne last night with 36,000 miles on it. We are going back Friday afternoon to see it up on the rack before I sign the dotted line. Anybody need parts for their Park Ave?

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Willie

I sold the Park Ave. With full disclosure I got $1250.00. Maybe he has a real nice one with a bad engine? Mud (It was a little emotional):(

Mud, I feel for you brother. I have an 88 Olds 98 Touring Sedan that I keep as a backup for grown kids to drive, gave it to one daughter for graduation, she sold to another daughter that needed a car. It has no paint left on it, looks worse than most in the junkyard, but is very dependable and a joy to drive. It is hard to get rid of a car that has served you well.

For me, I can't stand the idea of junking a car that has so many good and reusable components. It seems like such a waste, But when no-one else sees any value in it you can't sell it for much more than junk price. Most people are more concerned with looks than dependability.