64 Super Wildcat Riviera or?

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

No mention of matching numbers KX car.

Sure is ugly, a total waste of a paint job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Buick-Riviera-Super-8-/271490564876?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Super Wildcat Powered, black leather, power vent windows, cruise, guidematic, rear defroster, and reverb but no AC....................weird optioned car.

Canada car makes sense why non-AC, has BC VIN # tag.

Just can't get past that crazy yellow.

***************************************************************************************************

Here is another 64 that magically grew a set of Edlebrock carbs nor fully morphed the correct air cleaner..............lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Buick-Riviera-/111354489603?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Red & Fawn?

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

OK Clams: Modifications are the predominant thing now on First-Gens. They are slammin' em and painting them House of Color colors the cops like to pull over. The red and yellow cars look like nice builds. For me the colors would not be my choice, especially safety yellow but they are not mine either. Mitch

Guest clamshells

The red car is not only missing the air cleaner and carbs the trans lines are cut and one is kinked, some gauge under the hood............ red flags all over.

The yellow car does have her "matching numbers KX block comes with the car" but I'd never get past that color.

It's too bad when I see a Rivi sitting on super stupid wheels (suspension tweeked) stock radio missing (stock cut outs cut out) speaker holes in the rear deck, doors and kick panels. And as the $%&@s get their hands on these cars they actually lower the respect every gets driving a Rivi.

OK Clams: I have found that when the sellers spam their Craig List adds in the 11 Western Solar Systems it means the price is ridiculously high and their ego is as inflated as their price. My wife has a theory that there are a slug of First Gen Rivs on the market because now that a few seem to bring good money everyone else....is lookin' for da money. Mitch

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4474548209.html

I for one appreciate the fact that Mitchell's/Nickle's design of first-gen Rivs was so outstanding and timeless that it's perfectly natural for many enthusiasts to enhance its shape or presence. There are some outstanding and very tastefully done (and extremely well fabricated) mild customs out there, and there's no doubt that some "current" colors make the 63-65 Riv shape pop even more. To me a high quality custom is always appreciated, even if we have different opinions on "taste." Blowing a car over with a quickie "Resale Red" paint job and hoping to cash in on someone else's lack of knowledge is quite another matter.

Guest clamshells
I for one appreciate the fact that Mitchell's/Nickle's design of first-gen Rivs was so outstanding and timeless that it's perfectly natural for many enthusiasts to enhance its shape or presence. There are some outstanding and very tastefully done (and extremely well fabricated) mild customs out there, and there's no doubt that some "current" colors make the 63-65 Riv shape pop even more. To me a high quality custom is always appreciated, even if we have different opinions on "taste." Blowing a car over with a quickie "Resale Red" paint job and hoping to cash in on someone else's lack of knowledge is quite another matter.

In my totally bias, closed minded, GFY opinion the most yellow that looks right on any Riv is the Bamboo Cream. Add a black vinyl top to the Bamboo and WOW! As far as a car done in a tribute fashion is another story in which neither car mentioned above meets said criteria IMNSHO.

;-)

Taking a 63-64 with a crunched nose and rusted out 65 shell to combine clams withe beautiful tail of the 3-4's to have the best of both worlds has been a long time idea of mine, but to take two perfectly good cars to make the hybrid is wrong. JMO and just because others have their own opinion..................

Guest clamshells

Update:

64 well optioned KX car strong running motor with cam and head work, comes with matching #'s KX (needs rebuilt). Interior is very nice (except seats are leather and do not match the otherwise black interior. 13.5k would be a nice deal if the car wasn't Ford Focus yellow.

Very well stated Jan. Thank you, as I might not have responded so eloquently, if at all.

Steve

Man some of you guys are going to get real butthurt when mine is finished if you are freaking out over air cleaners. The tastes here seem to lean towards all original, and i can respect that....but griping about people not having a stock radio...really? We aren't talking about firebird#1 and#2 here fellas. These aren't 6 figure cars for the most part. What is wrong with bringing them back partially into this century? Everyone's taste is different, but i think as long as the heart(the engine), the body and the interior are all good you at least have the core complete. I wouldn't consider the car trashed if someone put a aftermarket air cleaner in place of the original monstrosity. I personally think it was ugly and underwhelming, get over it. The only redeeming feature of the air cleaner on my 64 is the aluminum inset with the wildcat 465 logo.

I fell in love with the body lines the moment i saw my first riviera, but the minor stuff i wouldn't fret over. My perfect Riviera would have a o/d trans. , disc brakes, fuel injection, and yes...a stereo system from this century. Hell i might even go further and mess with the instrument cluster. I also saw someone who had taken the wood inserts and turned them into brushed aluminum pieces which looked awfully nice. Different strokes for different folks i suppose. I draw the line on certain mods, like lowering and bagging, changing the motor and such, but i know those are just my own personal hangups.

By taking digs at every little modification you really are attacking hot rodding in general, and this is certainly a car that can be modified and perform better than original. 1/4 of my car is going to end up being stuff i modified or fabricated to some extent whether i originally wanted to or not. Rust seems to win the battle between original and modified on a lot of the metalwork. If it's broken or in bad shape it needs to be replaced. Original equipment is not always an option, and most definitely not always the best option unless you are a guy who cries when they don't see an original batter tray and bias ply tires.

OK DD: I agree with you for the most part. Personally I like 'em stock. I have said so many times that when things like the front end sheet metal is in perfect alignment they really pop. To me spending money and energy on lowering, shaving and shock value colors doesn't do anything for them.

Radios? I had a car lot for many years and I can't tell you how many times I sold a car and the customer headed for the stereo shop before they even got gas. It's a very personal and important thing...as are aftermarket rims.

And again, the majority of First-Gen Rivs changing hands are eventually going to undergo some type of modification. I'd like to see every one stock with my favorite colors and equipment in showroom condition but then again, I'd like a lot of things. Sometimes we have to live with whats' available! Mitch

Guest Gseago

There will always be purists and customizers no matter what car we're talking about. To me the Riviera is a "factory custom" and doesn't need any modifications as far as the body lines are concerned. Most owners what their cars to be a reflection of their personality, so you end up with some wild and outrageous others some mild and refrained. Lets not forget that Sunburst Yellow was a factory color in '64. Maybe the P.O. wanted to give a factory color a little something extra, remember also that looking at paint chips or a color in a can is not the same as having your entire car painted. In any case the yellow isn't the worst possible color it could have been painted.I would take a solid, school bus yellow Riviera over a rusted out Riviera any day of the week.

My '64 has the AM/FM radio with a factory reverberation unit. I'm going to install a RediRad in it that will allow me to listen to satellite radio or any tunes that are on my MP3 player. It won't have "stereo" but I can listen to the music of my choice and there will be nothing outwardly visible that will say "not stock."

https://rediscoveradio.com/

Take a look at these Youtube videos that interface with your head unit and I think you'll be impressed.

I've talked with Matt a couple of times and he's a really nice guy.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest Gseago

As far as in car entertainment goes I think it's a matter of the type of music you listen to. When I work on my '65(WHEN I DO WORK ON IT!!) I tend to listen to 60s and 70s Soul and R&B which isn't bass heavy and doesn't need a beefed up alternator,powerful amps or huge speakers thus no need to cut the dash or rear package tray. I am a child of the 80s and 90s though so something will end up with an "aggressive" sound system, sometimes there's like hitting the highway and cranking the bass up and just riding (don't worry though I keep my music to a reasonable level in residential areas.).

Edited by Gseago (see edit history)

Guest clamshells
Man some of you guys are going to get real butthurt when mine is finished if you are freaking out over air cleaners. The tastes here seem to lean towards all original, and i can respect that....but griping about people not having a stock radio...really? We aren't talking about firebird#1 and#2 here fellas. These aren't 6 figure cars for the most part. What is wrong with bringing them back partially into this century? Everyone's taste is different, but i think as long as the heart(the engine), the body and the interior are all good you at least have the core complete. I wouldn't consider the car trashed if someone put a aftermarket air cleaner in place of the original monstrosity. I personally think it was ugly and underwhelming, get over it. The only redeeming feature of the air cleaner on my 64 is the aluminum inset with the wildcat 465 logo.

I fell in love with the body lines the moment i saw my first riviera, but the minor stuff i wouldn't fret over. My perfect Riviera would have a o/d trans. , disc brakes, fuel injection, and yes...a stereo system from this century. Hell i might even go further and mess with the instrument cluster. I also saw someone who had taken the wood inserts and turned them into brushed aluminum pieces which looked awfully nice. Different strokes for different folks i suppose. I draw the line on certain mods, like lowering and bagging, changing the motor and such, but i know those are just my own personal hangups.

By taking digs at every little modification you really are attacking hot rodding in general, and this is certainly a car that can be modified and perform better than original. 1/4 of my car is going to end up being stuff i modified or fabricated to some extent whether i originally wanted to or not. Rust seems to win the battle between original and modified on a lot of the metalwork. If it's broken or in bad shape it needs to be replaced. Original equipment is not always an option, and most definitely not always the best option unless you are a guy who cries when they don't see an original batter tray and bias ply tires.

The point is guys expecting top dollar for cars either made to suit themselves or poor care over the last 50 years having their parts go MIA.

You're a bit touchy with your jabs about guys crying and being butt hurt & attacking..............I really doubt all that.

I am going to go to your level on one point: at my age having to hear everyone elses car stereo is annoying but isn't that 1/2 the reason for the "this century car stereo".

I'll leave (at the door) my opinion of anyone that hacks a pit free 1st Gen (or any Gen) radio plate.

My point was that the cars are meant to be driven, and modified to a certain point. I am not talking about a booming system or any of the cliquish b.s. , but more the functional working technology we use today like having a usb port, fm capability, and maybe satellite radio. Yea sure. it will go to crap if we get hit with a emp attack, but i figure i'll worry about that when i have to. I didn't mean installing speakers that shake the neighbors windows, but merely going past the cans and a string tech of the 60s in certain aspects. Why would anyone be opposed to upgrading brakes, getting the car to perform better in the winter with fuel injection, things like that?

As to people expecting top dollar for their modifications, well i suppose that is why we have an open market. There are plenty of cars i don't like, but someone putting a different air cleaner on a riviera is way down the list of evils compared to say..swapping a 425 nailhead for a sb 350 chevy. Purists and people wanting to change things are always going to be at odds i suppose. Hey, i threw away my air cleaner, or maybe i chopped it up to use as part of my trunk patch or quarter repairs. I had a old finned air cleaner assembly off a early 60s vette that i thought looked a bit better :)

Guest clamshells
My point was that the cars are meant to be driven, and modified to a certain point. I am not talking about a booming system or any of the cliquish b.s. , but more the functional working technology we use today like having a usb port, fm capability, and maybe satellite radio. Yea sure. it will go to crap if we get hit with a emp attack, but i figure i'll worry about that when i have to. I didn't mean installing speakers that shake the neighbors windows, but merely going past the cans and a string tech of the 60s in certain aspects. Why would anyone be opposed to upgrading brakes, getting the car to perform better in the winter with fuel injection, things like that?

As to people expecting top dollar for their modifications, well i suppose that is why we have an open market. There are plenty of cars i don't like, but someone putting a different air cleaner on a riviera is way down the list of evils compared to say..swapping a 425 nailhead for a sb 350 chevy. Purists and people wanting to change things are always going to be at odds i suppose. Hey, i threw away my air cleaner, or maybe i chopped it up to use as part of my trunk patch or quarter repairs. I had a old finned air cleaner assembly off a early 60s vette that i thought looked a bit better :)

Group hug?

Guest clamshells
I just love that ol' KISS principle.

Keepin' It Simple n' Sweet.

Ed

Gee Ed you don't fit the stereotype of a KISS fan..............was it those boots?

Oh........K*I*S*S*..........I am a little slow but I get there.

Mike

Gee Ed you don't fit the stereotype of a KISS fan..............was it those boots?

Oh........K*I*S*S*..........I am a little slow but I get there.

Mike

I have very eclectic tastes in music but KISS isn't on that list. Heaven forbid. :eek: