how to adjust those ford model a VALVES?

gilletman

Valve seat faces are getting hammered down.

Yes you would grin the end of the valve stem, #14 on the picture.

You really wouldn't want to just take the valve and just stick it in a grinder. Grinding wheels are usually too rough and it can overheat the valve metal quick. It really needs to be ground on a valve lathe at an even 90 degree angle.

Often times it's probably better to just give it a proper valve job. Then the valve seats, valve faces and guides will get the attention they need.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFLjpg6C86xrS6NpxFeIGkIM4gQd-aRfZKmJxStzoy-a6mTAEQ

Thanks Bleach, how ever i find it strange that this valve became longer and the others a bit schorter as i noticed the required 0.015 or 0.013 play increased.

Wil have to do a valve job i gues. but maybe i could replace them by adjustibel valves? is there a difference between valves for a model A and Model B ?

rgds.

Guest cben09

The valve faces,,,the seat area are wearing down,making the valve look longer,,,,not a problem if the valve stayes tight,,,If it leaks time to reseat and lap the valves,,Check the ridge while youre in there,,,

Cheers,,Ben

As the valve and seat wears the valve sits lower in the seat, reducing clearance. Old time valve grinding tools had an attachment for grinding the end of the valve stem. When doing a valve job you had to fit the valve, measure clearance (if any ) and grind the stem for proper clearance. If too much clearance you had to grind down the valve face.

Once the clearance was set it was supposed to last the life of the motor. You didn't have to touch it until the valves wore out and you did the next valve job.

Sounds like it is time to do a ring and valve job and tighten up the bearings. Ask any mechanic over 80 years old what that means.

Ha ha Rusty.........they don't need to be THAT old......I'm 62 and have enough much younger friends who totally "get it"....... ;) .......as do I.

Except for transmissions an excellent read is any Model T Manual written by Victor Page........or ANY manual written by him as far as that goes.

Good, down to earth, procedures that apply to almost every valve in block engine.

If I had to choose one "go to" book to learn about this stuff it would be any book authored by Page.