Drivers seat motor question?

Rufcar

I have the power seat and I hear the motor start and nothing moves. The question is should I just remove the entire seat and then do my motor repairs? I ask that because some guys on here said they removed the motor without removing the seat. With the seat stuck in place (luckily its perfect for me in that position!) how can you even get in there?

I have a saying when doing this type of work and it is " The most complicated way to repair something usually ends up being the shortest way!" in this case removing the entire seat! yes? Tkx jim

Yes, remove the seat. By doing that you will be able to clean and lube the mechanisms that are under the seat. This is probably the issue, 50 years of dirt and junk and hardened grease will keep a seat from moving.

4 bolts is all it takes and unplug the electrical and you are done.

Good luck.

It is much easier to do a thorough job with the power seat mechanism on the bench. HOWEVER, having said that, I see you are in a "rusty" area. This is something folks outside the rust belt cannot appreciate, but, attempting to remove the bolts which hold the seat to the floor will most certainly result, in the very least, broken bolts which must be removed (not as easy as it sounds as the nuts are "captured" nuts and will not tolerate any rough stuff) and worst case scenario is you will be getting into replacing floor sections.

Another alternative is to remove the bolts that hold the seat body to the power mechanism but this requires working in a tough position; much the same as removing the power seat components while the power unit is in place.

Chances are the only component keeping your seat from operating properly is the transmission. This is relatively straight forward to do while the unit is in place. Get all the old, dried lube out of it. Free everything up and lubricate with fresh Lubriplate and chances are you will be "out of the woods". Good luck,

Tom Mooney

Tom,

I have my '64 power driver's seat out and, in addition to installing new vinyl, I too am refreshing the power components. I've not opened up the transmission as I worry about breaking a working component. Do you recommending opening the transmission for cleaning and lubrication? Everything is out of the car, disassembled, and in labeled bags/boxes.

Thanks.

Eric: Be cautious when disassembling. See the other post about the poor guy who lost a gear out of his drive assembly. As for me, I just cleaned and lubed the mechanism. Seemed to do the job. Dale

I am planning to set back the seats 2 inches for a little more leg room, does anyone know if this affects the power mechanism in anyway.

Snake I just did that in 69 Camaro which does not have power seats but with the type of tracks I bought I cant see how that would effect the power seats at all. The Camaro tracks are very heavy bent steel into a channel shape. They bolt into the existing holes and then the seats bolt into the channels where they have predrilled hole with welded on bolts. You need these things very strong so if you hit something the seat will stay in place. jim

Your OE seat location puts the bolts in the floor into a second larger piece of steel that is welded to the brace that runs perpendicular to the rocker panel. If you move the seat attachment holes back, you'll be bolting the seat to just the sheet metal. Take Jim's advice - you need something strong to bolt them to.

Ed

Tom,

I have my '64 power driver's seat out and, in addition to installing new vinyl, I too am refreshing the power components. I've not opened up the transmission as I worry about breaking a working component. Do you recommending opening the transmission for cleaning and lubrication? Everything is out of the car, disassembled, and in labeled bags/boxes.

Thanks.

Hi Eric,

Yes, most certainly clean and lube the components in the trans. This is the most problematic component in the system. It is not complicated to do.

Tom

• Like 1

Tom. Does cleaning and lubing the components in the trans require disassembly of the trans? I have my frame off the seat and I've cleaned old grease off and lubricated the runners(?) and slides(?) but have not attempted to disassemble the transmission. What's your advice? Tnx Dale

Tom. Does cleaning and lubing the components in the trans require disassembly of the trans? I have my frame off the seat and I've cleaned old grease off and lubricated the runners(?) and slides(?) but have not attempted to disassemble the transmission. What's your advice? Tnx Dale

Yes, disassemble the trans, clean all the hardened white grease and relube using Lubriplate. I cant imagine not doing this if the seat assembly is torn down. It`s not hard, very easy,

Tom Mooney

I am planning to set back the seats 2 inches for a little more leg room, does anyone know if this affects the power mechanism in anyway.

I was able to get my '65 seat moved back 1" by turning those front brackets that the frame slips under around and then opening the pre-drilled holes in the rear of the frame.

My seat was stuck and would not move up/down or front/back. A friend and I were able to easily remove the seat motor. Took it apart easily and turned out it was just 50 year old grease as hard as asphalt. I had to use my 210 pounds of girth to press the worm gear against a plank of wood to get the gear to separate. I soaked it in kero, then cleaned the entire unit with some WD-40. Applied a light grease to it and reassembled it. This part was tricky. My friend removed it without my help working from the back of the front seat but needed my help to replace it mainly to get the shaft aligned back in the mount. Now she slides like a hockey puck on ice.

Thanks to Tom Mooney I was encouraged to disassemble the power seat transmission and check it. I was astonished to find there was no "50 year old hard grease". Not very much surprised 'tho as this shows to be a well cared for and properly stored car. Only found a little "soft" but "aged" tan grease on the gears. Wiped it with a brush and Lubriplated as suggested. Back together and all in 20 minutes. Now on to getting the seats back in the car. Tnx again, Tom, for your prompting to do it right. Dale

x2 in thanking Tom for great advice. I just finished refreshing mine as well.

I opened up the transmission and it was very straightforward. It had some light grease inside and although not hard as a rock it was a bit sticky and caused some resistance when turning the gears. I cleaned it up, lubricated, and reassembled it in about a half hour. The mechanism now turns absolutely freely without any perceptible resistance.

It was nice easy bench work for a Sunday morning.