daytime running lights

handmedownreatta

ive noticed that a lot of new cars have strips of white led lights as daytime running lights.i haven't researched this but im wondering if i could use directional bulbs in the front corner lights to get the same effect?or maybe get a spare set of lenses and mount leds in[on?] them?any thoughts?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Your imagination and budget are the only limits on what you can do. The built in way to power DRLs is thru the BCM user programming that used the fog lights as done on Canadian models. But you can do have to go that route if you want to wire it yourself.

You can reprogram your BCM so the lights are on anytime the key is on. Using the turn signal bulbs may be too bright (hot) and melt the housings. LED's would be a perfect solution if you could find them with the correct connector.

Guest my3buicks

I run with my fog lights on which of course has all lights on except headlights. Never shut the fogs off. So that is basically an easy daytime running light.

Guest Corvanti
I run with my fog lights on which of course has all lights on except headlights. Never shut the fogs off. So that is basically an easy daytime running light.

same here.:)

Question (since I've never tried it myself): does setting the Canadian vehicle bit in the BCM option coding cause ONLY the fog lights to run as DRLs (meaning without front or rear park lamps illuminated)? Or does it simply replicate the functionality of the fog lamp switch (turns on fogs + front and rear park lamps)?

KDirk

• 3 months later...
There is a bulb chart at the bottom of this page that might be helpful. A member of facebook said that I plagiarized it from him but I'm not sure how. It consists of my car, in my driveway, and a lot of letters of the alphabet. I do give him credit for it being his idea.

Being that member you are referring of, I prepared a chart that you posted on your site for many months. Then you decided to take down the chart (and all my contributions to your site) at your discretion. That is your choice - it's the loss to others not benefiting from easy-to-follow information. Nevertheless, your chart sure looks similar to mine - love its originality.

Light bulb chart: http://reattadriver.com/images/RDVendorsParts/Reatta%20Exterior%20%20Bulbs.pdf.pdf

Horn button replacement and removal of air bag chart: http://reattadriver.com/images/RDVendorsParts/1990-1991%20Horn%20Air%20bag%20tutorial.pdf.pdf

If anyone would like the original pdf file e-mailed, send me a PM.

There is a code via the BCM (or is it ECM - code 154 and 155) that automatically turns on your fog lights when ignition is on (and leaves all other bulbs off) - strictly for DRL use. Maybe someone here can expand further.

There is a code via the BCM (or is it ECM - code 154 and 155) that automatically turns on your fog lights when ignition is on (and leaves all other bulbs off) - strictly for DRL use. Maybe someone here can expand further.

i would love that.good thing i asked about the bulb size.....

I have removed [for resale] and replacement many horn buttons and never once have I removed the air bag lead. Although it is not recommended I also have never disconnected the battery. [For 100% safety you should, I just don't like losing my radio presets]

Simply loosen the 4 screws from the back of a steering wheel with a #30 torx [when there is no tension on the screws they are free from the back]. Then pull the horn pad towards you to be sure they are free from the wheel [about 2-3"] then turn the horn pad on edge to remove the horn lead. The horn lead removes from the column with a slight push in and then a quarter turn to release it from it's holder. Then turn the horn pad completely over. You will see two #15 torx screws on either end of the horn pad holding the horn buttons in place. Remove these 4 screws, push on the wire lead that goes to the horn button to "push" out the button. Pull apart the solderless connector and install your new horn button.

Install is reverse of removal.

Easy task I rate it a 2-3 on a scale of 10. About a 10-15 minute project.

I have removed [for resale] and replacement many horn buttons and never once have I removed the air bag lead. Although it is not recommended I also have never disconnected the battery. [For 100% safety you should, I just don't like losing my radio presets]

Simply loosen the 4 screws from the back of a steering wheel with a #30 torx [when there is no tension on the screws they are free from the back]. Then pull the horn pad towards you to be sure they are free from the wheel [about 2-3"] then turn the horn pad on edge to remove the horn lead. The horn lead removes from the column with a slight push in and then a quarter turn to release it from it's holder. Then turn the horn pad completely over. You will see two #15 torx screws on either end of the horn pad holding the horn buttons in place. Remove these 4 screws, push on the wire lead that goes to the horn button to "push" out the button. Pull apart the solderless connector and install your new horn button.

It is an easy task...after such repetition as you have done.

First time around,..not so easy; which is why I put together the instructions. If as a collective we want to attract (support) newbies to the Reatta, it helps if there are easy-to-follow instructions with pictures/diagrams to resolve common Reatta issues.

Same goes for Ronnie's site. Without his site, newbies would be (mostly) screwed. It's not like a newbie (or any owner of a Reatta) has a strong Reatta Division oozing with readily available information to refer to. RDiv has less then 300 members and this site has about 50 active members (most have been on-line a minimum of 5 years). There are approximately 12,500 Reattas registered across the country (as of 2012). So...do the math. Not meaning to be disrespectful, but while this site has value, Ronnie's site provides 10x more value to a Reatta owner.

I rewrote it so Ronnie could have something for his website if he chooses to put it there. It is for the "newbies" [which I wish would come here and Ronnie's site and then join the Reatta Division].

We need more participation...

Dave, If I had some good photos to go with it, I would use your writeup to make a ROJ tutorial out of it. I don't have a '90 wheel to photograph but your simple instructions might not need them...

I already have Barney's Horn Button Repair '90-'91 Models tutorial for using fishing line to repair the horn buttons. Your writeup would be a great addition to ROJ.

BTW Ervin, you can say what you want about me on facebook. It's OK. You aren't the only one. I do the best I can and I can't please everyone.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Ronnie,

I don't have a steering wheel puller, but need to borrow one [does Advance rent them?] as the 'vert's wheel needs a respray. You can post the "How to" now and I will get pictures soon.

I will get your horn button writeup on ROJ soon. We can add photos later when we get them.