1974 Riviera Data Plate Code

Jim65Riv

Looking for a decode of AM6 in a 1974 Stage 1 car on the data plate. Thanks.

All trim codes would be a 3 digit number. A picture of data plate may help. But I suspect it may be vinyl top code.

Bob Bonto ROA # 277

Technical Advisor 71-73

Charter Member

The complete data plate is: (spacing close to that on the plate)

ST 74 4EY87 FL 1 169265 (74 - year) (4EY87 - Riviera) F (Flint?) L (?) 1(?) 169265 (sequence number)

TR 671 (white/blue vinyl interior) 11 (Artic White body) 11 (Artic White top - non vinyl)

04D (date code - 4th week of April AM6 (?)

On the earlier data plates that we're more familiar with, only body modifications or work done at the Fisher plant were coded on the data plate installation of the glass, holes in the doors for window wires, etc. Engine size, tilt wheel, wheel cover choice, etc. are not on the data plate; those items could just be "dropped" in as the car went through final assembly. For no more than your plate shows, I would imagine that the items on the data plate are similar to those that appear on the earlier plates. Try looking for a build sheet under one of the seats or someplace else hidden in the interior.

Ed

Looking for a decode of AM6 in a 1974 Stage 1 car on the data plate. Thanks.

AM6 is an RPO code for "seat assembly, front split w/center armrest (60/40)". Apparently used as an RPO code from `76 to `88. Perhaps Fisher used it as an assembly code earlier.

Tom Mooney

The fifth digit of the VIN indicates the engine, it should be a W for Riviera Stage 1 in 1974.

AM6 is for 60/40 split bench front seat, they started putting the seat code on the body tag for the 1972 model year. See my trim code list here:

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/1932-1975-buick-trim-codes-model-367437.html

No code on the body tag for Stage 1, just the engine code in the VIN (1972 and later).

FL1 is Buick home plant in Flint.

I think AM6 might be "seat, front split bench". Other folks please chime in to either confirm or correct.....

Yeh, I got one right!!