Straight eight flywheel help?

Guest haldee8

Guest haldee8

Pictured is my flywheel off of my 233-248 engine.(not exactly sure which year) My question is this normal wear from the starter or do I need to replace/fix ? Next question is the outer gear replaceable? I have very limited knowledge when it comes to flywheels, even less on pre-war vehicles.If this was YOUR flywheel how would you fix it or make it right if needed. It will be going on a total restoration car! I just want to have it done right the first time.So, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris

post-85988-143142399436_thumb.jpg

post-85988-143142399442_thumb.jpg

I can tell you what I would do based on the pictures. I would clean up the ground ends and use it. It just looks like some one could not tell the engine was running and kept trying to start it.

If the teeth were ground down more than 1/4 of the total length, I would look for a replacement or having it fixed.

Just IMO.

Chris,

Many of the Ford guys flip the gear over.

You need to be good with a torch and have a friend help you with the process, but the basics are to heat the ring gear all round and hammer off, flip it over, reheat and tap it back on. Keeping the flywheel cool with some ice won't hurt.

Check youtube, and I'll bet they will show someone doing it. Watch as many as you can find and do the "consensus".

Plan "B" would be to bring it to Denver and let the guys at Bert's Model "A" do it for you.

Mike in Colorado

PS; You know that your going to have to replace the gear on the Bendix don't you......

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

In the repair manual it says it's a common procedure to flip the gear to get additional life out of the gear. I flipped mine myself. It wasn't hard, just heated the gear all around, once it expanded it came right and before it cooled off I flipped it over and dropped it back on. It's been a while but I think I might have had to apply a little.additional heat to it. I let cool. I worked in a machine shop when I was younger and saw the guy in the shop cool them with water, I didn't think that was a good idea.

Guest haldee8

Thank you all for your help. I was unsure I could flip gear or not. I am lucky enough to have a friend who suggested to do just that. Only thing is he didn't know for sure if it could be done on a Buick. I really was questioning if it was normal wear also because of an identical flywheel for sale on e-bay had same groove on it. I will try to get after it in the next week or so. I will definitely post back how it goes. If not well, I just might need that vendors contact info! Thank you all, and wish me luck!

I had make my flywheel starter ring new in 2012.The edges from one to the other side are different, the teeth have a little 45° angle in new condition.

I would be careful with only flipping the ring. I could imagin that the starter will make rough hard noises if the teeth on the starter side are have sharp 90° angles.

M2C

I was very dismayed to see the same "wear" on my flywheel teeth. ('38 Special) Then, using a remote start switch, and with the flywheel cover off, I observed the starter engaging the flywheel. (ground out the coil lead to the distributor, and be sure (very sure) the transmission is in neutral and the car is securely raised on jack stands) Even with that scallop on the front edges of the teeth, the starter pinion travel is more than enough to engage all of the tooth. My opinion now (could very well be wrong), is that it was designed this way.

Double and triple check all of your safety items if you want to lie on your back and make the same observation.

Jeff

Guest haldee8

Now I am wondering what a new gear looks like? Should,I simply clean up my gear and call it good? Anyone out there have a picture of a NEW or un scalloped flywheel? Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

Guest haldee8

Thank you Jenz, and all, I luckily tracked down a new ring gear. What's even better, is the gentleman who is selling me a new one,is willing and able to help me swap out the gear. Looking forward to learn how to swap out gear from someone who has done thousands of them! Thanks again, Chris

Guest haldee8

Thanks again. All your suggestions and info were a great help! Here is a pic of old ring on top of new ring installed on flywheel. I got the new ring gear from Al's ring gear out of Amherst Junction, WI.

Guest haldee8
post-85988-143142420002_thumb.jpgThanks again. All your suggestions and info were a great help! Here is a pic of old ring on top of new ring installed on flywheel. I got the new ring gear from Al's ring gear out of Amherst Junction, WI.