GA Starter Generator Help

72caddy

Was just installing the battery today after a very long hibernation and was going by the book. I hooked up my 1919 as positive ground, turn the key and pushed the starter button. A strange sound from the GA and a little trace of smoke. Of course at that moment I remembered that this car always ran as negative ground since I have owned it (no issues).

Reversed the battery to negative ground and tried the same startup procedure but the GA won't move. I can turn the engine by the crank handle and the brushes seem to be in contact with the commutator.

I have 12 volts at the starter switch. 12 volts at the GA positive post when the starter button is pushed.

Is it 'cooked' or is ther something else I can try? Thanks in advance.

Polarity is not a problem if you have the original starter box. If it is solid state conversion starter box then polarity needs to be right. With a original starter box it will work either neg or pos ground. The ampmeter will read backwards. There must be a bad connection inside the GA if you have 12 volts on the GA terminal. I doubt if it is fried.. I believe Pos Ground is correct on the 19.

Thanks for the quick reply. It is the original starter box. Any advice on where to start on the bad connection inside the GA unit? I have a couple of older starter generators I can dissect before I open this one up. The older ones have broken front castings so I not worried about damaging them. Any books or manuals I can get? Or should I call one of the people that rebuild them? Anyone have recommendations?

Several things I note. First the '19 would have a Model G NOT a GA and would be neg ground (up to '23). Second if you actually have an original switch assy. not one modified with solid state, your starter could care less which polarity and will polarize the fields at the first press of the switch. The only problem will be reverse indication on the ammeter as was stated elsewhere. You say when pressing the switch a "Funny sound and puff of smoke". From where was that smoke? Was it from the starter or from the starter switch? If the former you may have deteriorated insulation on brush wiring that shorted and possibly now is disconnected. If from the switch you likely now have a fried cutout coil that will require replacing the unit. In any case the connection of the battery in whatever polarity will not have caused the existing problem. I dare say Father time was the guilty party. Good Luck. Let us all know what you find.

Rodger "Dodger"

RAH, yes i believe father time has caught up to me. Yes, it is a model G don't know by I stated GA. The little smoke came from the rear of the starter generator. No much but enough to go "uh-oh". It was slow turning previously and maybe it is time to repair this one.

Several I have PM-ed have given advice which is much appreciated.

What is the best way to remove this item? Does the chain need to be split or will the unit slip out? Obviously the carb needs to come out.

Open the chain cover. Turn engine over until the repair link comes into view. Tie baling wire to each side so you don't loose the end of the chain down into the engine. Remove the Link and don't drop the link plate into the engine. Loosen the adjustable wedges that hold the starter body solid and remove strap. Loosen the big nut in the chain housing that holds the unit in place. It should slide out of the hole now. You should remove the carburetor also. When reinstalling the chain tension should be set. There is a eccentric in the big hole that can be rotated to adjust tension if needed.

Many thanks platt-duetech. This went pretty much as described, but I did almost loose the link plate! I took photos of each step and may make a PDF so others can see the process.

i was surprise that the end gear, although keyed, will basically fall off the end of the shaft in the front of the engine if you are not careful.

Odd.. My 25 has a threaded end on the shaft and a nut to hold the sprocket in place. Glad it came out ok. When you get it in and adjusted be sure to adjust the wedges so they are contacting the top and bottom of the unit and then put the strap on and tighten it. Hope you find the problem in the unit.

Many thanks platt-duetech. This went pretty much as described, but I did almost loose the link plate! I took photos of each step and may make a PDF so others can see the process.

i was surprise that the end gear, although keyed, will basically fall off the end of the shaft in the front of the engine if you are not careful.

I would be very interested in seeing this if you can find the time.

OK. Here you go. First picture is of the end gear that came off in my hand. Luckily I had kept the Starter/Generator level and the key was on top of the shaft - otherwise it could have fallen into the front of the engine! Second attachment is the write-up in PDF.

post-55762-143142404933_thumb.jpg

StarterGenerator.pdf

Edited by 72caddy (see edit history)

Good catch. I was so relieved and had so many other things to do I really didn't look that closely at the end of the shaft. If it is down there it will be there a while. I just dropped the pan late last summer and don't plan on doing that again for year or so...

Next I am going to order some brushes and see if that fixes it. Probably do another write if I am successful. Be patient with me...full time job...oldest going off to college...youngest get his license in a few months....busy.

Hey mate there is nothing wrong with being a loving and caring parent I suppose that if the nut has come off since you last dropped the pan and it is sitting in the bottom of the engine and is not causing any problems I guess that is OK I would put another nut on to hold the gear when you re assemble though It would be a real bugger to loose a key down there too Ron

• 1 year later...