2013 National Awards

Bill Boudway

West,

I used to live in Kansas City managing a museum. You might be surprised at how many people there consider themselves Westerners. Kansas is "The Beginning Of The West", to quote the title of the Louise Barry book. Five or six generations ago, you always began your trip to Santa Fe, California or Oregon in Westport or Independence, in the Kansas City area.

Great to hear that the Kansas City Region is a hotbed of activity for the club.

----Jeff

The folks in KS City are going to have a super meet and Susan and I are going to be there. It's one place we really enjoyed before so stuck a pin in our map of places for return visits. Be sure to get to Strouds Fried Chicken for positively the best fried chicken in the world! A must see there is also the Steam Ship Arabia museum downtown. It's a civil-war era steamboat that was dug from a farmers cornfield http://1856.com/

See you there!

I grew up in west central Minnesota, not that far from South Dakota. I never thought I lived in the west. Nor did I consider South Dakota "the west," as my wife darn well knows when she first told me she lived in the west for a while. I laughed at her when she told me it was South Dakota. I guess it may well be the west, but I never considered it that while living there.

I guess I just have a perverted view of what is north, west, south and east. People from Virginia tell me they live in the south, and they get kind of cranky with me when I laugh.

West,

I used to live in Kansas City managing a museum. You might be surprised at how many people there consider themselves Westerners. Kansas is "The Beginning Of The West", to quote the title of the Louise Barry book. Five or six generations ago, you always began your trip to Santa Fe, California or Oregon in Westport or Independence, in the Kansas City area.

Great to hear that the Kansas City Region is a hotbed of activity for the club.

----Jeff

......................... People from Virginia tell me they live in the south, and they get kind of cranky with me when I laugh.

Now, I guess that's my fault for telling West and everyone else that I am from the south. Here in Virginia, we're still stuck in the '60's, no, no, not those '60's, the 1860's.

Since Richmond Virginia was the last Capital of the Confederacy, most of us here think of ourselves as Southerners, people of the south.

Oh, darn, off topic!

Shame on me!:(

We are looking forward to visiting Kansas City again - many old-car friends there!

There was a really great restaurant at the restored train terminal.....

really good steaks, as I recall.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Our museum was sure honored to receive the AACA Plaque for outstanding achievement in the preservation of automotive history (although you may need to change the name, since we got a real cool trophy instead of a plaque). Thanks, AACA!

Congratulation, Nancy on the plaque for outstanding achievement in automotive history. The Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum deserves it!

I try to promote your place as much as I can. Wouldn't it be possible to have a tour up the Inside Passage by an antique car club, where they could bring their cars along on the Alaska Ferry, go to Anchorage, then drive up to your museum in Fairbanks? Only for the adventurous, of course.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Jeff, several clubs have done that, while the more adventurous ones drive the Alaska Highway. Either way, we'd love to host more clubs here! June would be a great time this year, as we are once again hosting the Midnight Sun Cruise-In on June 21. No headlights needed!

Nancy,

Thank you. I thought it was an original idea, but some other people have actually done it. It occurred to me because exactly 40 years ago my whole family did a similar trek (with a 1954 Chrysler and a 1959 Rambler). The scenery or our way up to Skagway was fantastic. Most people don't do this nowadays, but we lingered in the fishing village of Haines for 14 days...chained our cars onto a White Pass & Yukon R.R. flatcar to get them all the way to Whitehorse...and still got to the Fairbanks area in time to catch the Good Friday Earthquake.

----Jeff