Bob Stevens, former editor of Cars & Parts magazine, passed away January 1, 2014

West Peterson

It is with great sadness to hear that one of my best friends and mentors, Bob Stevens, passed away at his home yesterday (January 1).

Bob was probably one of the most, if not THE most enthusiastic persons on this planet when it came to collector cars. I have never met another more in love with with doing his job of writing, photographing and participating in the antique car hobby, and certainly no one better at doing it. I learned an incredible amount from him in the four short years I worked side by side with him at Amos Hobby Publishing (Cars & Parts and C&P Corvette). I consider him one of my best friends, will never forget the countless lunches we had together, and thoroughly enjoyed traveling with him to shows. I was proud to have him as a passenger with me on the 2007 Glidden Tour to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

If there is one person who I’d pick to travel across country, Bob would be the man.

RIP good friend.

Guest AlCapone

Why are all the accolades and kind words saved until these fine people pass away and they can't read them.

We should compliment them when they can enjoy our appreciation. Although I did not know him I wish for him eternal rest and may God bring peace to his family. RIP Bob knowing you are kindly remembered !

Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

For those of you who knew Bob Stevens, long-time editor of CARS & PARTS magazine, it may come as a shock to learn that he passed away on New Year's Day.

Bob was a hardcore car collector and enthusiast, with a large collection of his own cars and spare parts, collectibles, etc. He was a talented writer and editor, and kept CARS & PARTS magazine interesting for many, many years. Many times I was with Bob Stevens at swap meets or car shows, and people would recognize him and come over to shake his hand.

For many years Bob has served as our senior celebrity judge for the show cars at our CARS & PARTS SPRINGFIELD SWAP MEET & CAR SHOW here in Ohio.

Bob was a good friend to the car hobby, and to me and thousands of other car lovers. He will be missed.

Below is a link to his obit.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sidneydailynews/obituary.aspx?n=robert-stevens&pid=168869249&fhid=17955

Edited by R W Burgess
I merged this one, previously posted! (see edit history)

Bob was truly great guy who loved all types of old vehicles and road trips. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times and he even chose my 55 for a feature and cover for Cars & Parts. I was once at a banquet but didn’t have a ticket and he insisted I sit with him. That was Bob. We had a great evening talking old cars and his profession which his knowledge was second to none. Thoughts and prayers are with the family. We lost another matriarch in the hobby. Very sad. <O:p

I was saddened to hear of the death of Bob Stevens. As a longtime subscriber of Cars and Parts magazine, I enjoyed his writing very much. He and I owned similar Lincoln Zephyrs around the same time and we also had 1956 Fords, his, a Fairlane Hardtop, mine a six passenger Country Sedan. He told the story of how the “Fiesta” red color of that year was actually based on the color of cosmetics sold by a major manufacturer, a early marketing tactic aimed directly at the female car buyer. Although I never met him, I felt that I knew him personally because our taste in cars was similar. I am sure that he will be missed. -John Ropelewski, Erie, Pa

His Fiesta Red '56 Ford is actually a Crown Victoria. Absolutely gorgeous color for the car, but what makes it stand out most is that it is a single-color car. Bob had many great cars in his collection at the time of his passing, and that '56 Ford would be one of my favorites. I know it was one of his favorites.

His Fiesta Red '56 Ford is actually a Crown Victoria. Absolutely gorgeous color for the car, but what makes it stand out most is that it is a single-color car. Bob had many great cars in his collection at the time of his passing, and that '56 Ford would be one of my favorites. I know it was one of his favorites.

I had forgotten that it was a Crown Vic. You are right. Attached is a pic of my '56 Wagon.post-38425-143142340238_thumb.jpg

Bob would have wanted it this way. I will not forget.

I knew Bob Stevens very well for many, many years. I cannot think of a single conversation with him that did not eventually end up talking about vintage cars, no matter WHAT the subject started out to be. I'll think of Bob every time I see a '56 Crown Victoria, AMX, black 4-door 57 Chevy, or a red 67 Corvette Stingray fastback. Those are the cars I most associate with him, in my memory.

RIP Bob. Every time we think of you, we'll take about cool old cars. And quite often, whenever your old car buddies start talking about old cars, we'll think of you again...and again.

What has Bob been doing in the last few years?

Did he leave Cars and Parts after it was reconfigured and renamed?

Any other interesting ventures?

I rode with him for a day on the 2007 Glidden Tour, and as an

amateur, it was nice to absorb a bit from a professional writer.

Sorry to hear of his passing, but his life will continue tangibly on.

What has Bob been doing in the last few years?

Did he leave Cars and Parts after it was reconfigured and renamed?

Any other interesting ventures?

I rode with him for a day on the 2007 Glidden Tour, and as an

amateur, it was nice to absorb a bit from a professional writer.

Sorry to hear of his passing, but his life will continue tangibly on.

About every Friday night a group of old car friends get together to go out to eat and enjoy each others company, Bob and his wife being part of this group. Bob was a great story teller and served in Viet Nam. He was always going to look at another car or going to look at parts or an auction. He kept busy after he retired from Cars and Parts. He will be missed, I'm glad we got to know him.