Pretty Cool Car. Wish I had more Garage Space….

Guest Rob J

Yep, that's a lot of money for a car that for some reason doesn't really command much $$$. Not sure why these cars are not more popular than they are. Maybe that's what attracts me to them. I'd pay the guy $12,500 for it, but not 27.5k.

Guest lemmy-67
Yep, that's a lot of money for a car that for some reason doesn't really command much $$$. Not sure why these cars are not more popular than they are. Maybe that's what attracts me to them. I'd pay the guy $12,500 for it, but not 27.5k.

Nice, but they cut the connection for the switch-pitch. The tranny may have been changed, or at least the carb has the wrong throttle linkage. That cover on the master cylinder looks a bit chinzy, too. Otherwise, a nice boat.

Base interior with non-tilt wheel and crank windows..otherwise lots of options. Paint appears decent and a nice job done underhood. Pics of car's bottom would have been good to see. Probably aquirred from an estate for not too much and the painting and detailing trying to flip for larger $ than likely to get-Dan Mpls. Mn.

Yes thats a well kept car. An eye popping color combo would give it even more zing.

If they never made Rivieras, I bet many of us would own Wildcats. I always liked them but being a one and an occasional two hobby car guy, the Rivs always took precedence.

I read some time ago that the newer 'fast back' styling that came out on the Wildcat in '65 cut into the sales of the '65 Riviera. The same roof line could be found in all of the GM lines except Cadillac in '66. In '66 when the Riv came out with the 'fast back' they sold more units than any of the previous three years. 10,000+ more than in '65. Makes you wonder if Buick held on to the 1st generation one year too long in order to get some of Bill Mitchell's original ideas incorporated into it.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

This car at first glance looks to be a very nice original car with minimal restoration but the closer I look the less I like the details. I think this one has been around a bit. Any plain Jane `67 Wildcat which is priced over 10K should be, or have been, a very nice original car. Otherwise, there are much better equipped examples to be had...

I have been driving and collecting both Rivieras and Wildcats for a long time. My favorite Wildcat model is the `66 GS but I admire them all.

Collectors, and most Buick enthusiasts, dont realize The Wildcat is literally more car than its B body counterparts from other GM divisions. For instance, Pontiac used the same basic body and frame on both the Catalina and the premium Grand Prix. But Buick added body and frame length to the Wildcat as compared to the less expensive LeSabre. The difference in appearance is dramatic and really accentuates the long, wide fastback styling when both models are viewed side by side... not to mention ride quality. A buyer literally gets more car when purchasing a Wildcat.

Tom Mooney

Are you sure you don't or didn't work for Buick Tom? :cool:

At any rate, I always enjoy hearing your in depth knowledge on the Riv's, and now the Wildcats.

I rarely see nice looking Wildcats on the market. I'm betting there are far fewer survivors around than the first gen Riv's.

I am mostly a Pontiac guy and my dad and gramps went for Buicks. I had a '65 Pont GP-421-afb-2.73 gears. Dad had a gold '67 Cat 2dr 3.07 gears. The Buicks had the better 12" brakes-the smaller Pont brakes/rear end looked more like something from Chev-but my GP would leave the cat at any speed. Dad and I would trade back and forth some and I managed to take out #7 rod bearing on the 430=not a happy deal and well understood these days with the original 430 design 'issues' Anyway, in 1971 the wife tried to take down a telephone pole with the GP and I never found a replacement with condition/price that I would go with-and the Wildcats kept finding me in better condition/price. I much prefer the nailhead but do have a '67- much like dad's. I think the fastback styling appears most distinctive on the '67-8, but comparison shows it the same angle as the '65-6 2dr cats

In 1982, when that car was 15 years old, you could have snapped one like that up for about $1500 bucks. A good shopper would have found one "with eyes" for that money.

A very selective buyer today can spend $4,000 to $6,000 and have a very distinctive car for the long haul if they look into the 1990'a cars. A black Roadmaster would be a great buy. I have been tempted by the 850 Series BMW;s. I spent extra for condition and iconic value for my '94 Impala SS two years ago and just shifted it to J C Taylor collector car insurance. The '86 Park ave is already 27 years old. There have always been some great buys in the 15 to 20 year old bracket.

I have a cardiologist appointment this afternoon. I'm going to tell him my mortality index is about the same as it was in my mid 20's. I have had the stroke, the double bypass, and ready to crank along for another 50 years as long as medical advances keep a reasonable pace.

With luck, I will see my '60 Buick turn 100 and the Impala turn 50. And I'll be so happy I bought a couple of cars when they were so new. Not counting a few more that I don't known about yet, but know I'm going to get at a pre-collector price.

Oh, and my '60 Electra got snowed on this morning coming back from having coffee at the convenient store.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)