Old cars in salvage yard, Texas

Pete Phillips

I got a chance to visit a salvage yard about 40 miles from me, that I didn't know even existed. I hesitate to even post this, because the owner's prices are so high. There are several Rivieras, couple of 1950s Buicks, couple of 1966-67 Buicks, other makes and models; oldest vehicle I saw was a 1946 or 1947 Ford truck. I asked about the '56 Special 4-door hardtop, black and white, with no engine, originally a factory A/C car but only the condenser coils and the dashboard outlet left, fairly good body. He wanted $2700 for it. The guys I was with were asking the prices of other cars and trucks in the place, and we finally decided that it was all priced about 2-3 times what it was worth, and left. But I did take some photos. And I have contact information if anyone is interested, but I warn you that there are no bargains, and the guy wants to sell whole cars, not individual parts. It will take a lot of work to get some of the cars out of there. Located in Farmersville, Texas which is northeast of Dallas, and you have to know where the place is, because you will never find it any other way. Quite a bit of rare stuff, such as early 1950s Kaisers, "square bird" Thunderbirds, couple of Nash Metropolitans, couple of Studebakers, and even the remains of a '51 Allstate.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

post-32059-143142239474_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142239483_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142239493_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142239502_thumb.jpg

Virtually all of the cars I saw are sunk into the ground and/or have flat tires, so frames and floors for the most part are sitting on mud, and if that didn't rot them out, the water coming in through the broken windows did. Everything appears to have been sitting here for at least 30 years or more. It's more of a collection than a salvage yard business.

Pete

Guest shadetree77

Sounds like somebody's been watching too much Barrett Jackson. This situation is identical to one I came across right before I bought my '52. Local yard that I visited where the guy threw out OUTRAGEOUS prices for stuff that was well on it's way to joining with the earth. It's a shame when that happens. Oh well, thanks for the pictures anyway Pete. I enjoy looking at them even if I know they won't be saved.

That first price is the entry fee. After that there are 300 one hundred dollar jobs to do (I can list them).

Remember, if the entry fee for the convertible is $3,000 more that the sedan, the 300 jobs remain the same.

"All corollaries can be disregarded during instances of illogical passion."

Bernie

QUOTE:

"All corollaries can be disregarded during instances of illogical passion."

"Passion" has ever been "logical"? Many see "possibilities" and "past glory" . . . as others see "deterioration" and negativity. It appears that some cars might be made good again. Others are more basic models and, therefore, not worth much money even IF they were completely re-done to OEM or similar specs. Of course, the only way some might be worth good money (to somebody else) would be when they're redone "to taste" and not to "as produced" condition.

Bad thing is that many of those cars weren't really "worth anything" whenever they were deposited in that (or other similar) yards. And THAT tends to complicate things somewhat. They were originally "used cars" and now they're more like "unuseable" vehicles . . . regardless of the miles on their odometers. IF they'd been more weather-protected under (at least) a shed on a hard surface floor, that might have helped things somewhat, but still not enough.

As we all know . . . "Anything can be fixed, for a price." Everybody has their own determination of when "price" meets "costs", colored by "future value" . . . which can lead to a myriad of oppportunities . . . "+" and "-". Huge gray areas on that continuum between each end of the continuum line!

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Pete!

NTX5467