Kissel Axles

Guest 88 orangepeel notch

Hello, new here because I just came across both front and rear axles for a 1928-1929 Kissel. Don't know what model, only told the years. I'm new to these old cars and am wondering the value of these axles. Anyone shed some light on this for me. Thankyou

P.S. Previous owner was going to the scrap yard with them.

Edited by 88 orangepeel notch (see edit history)

Just wanted to add axles have the brake hardware on them yet but no drums. Also have 3 of the 4 leafsprings. Also the seat frames (don't know if they are front or back).

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if these seems I'm just using this forum for personal gain but I have no idea where else to ask this.

Orangepeel, no need to apologize. If these are useful and can be saved, they should be. Thank you for bringing them here and helping us keep cars like the Kissel alive. I hope you hear from someone and can come to an agreement. Pics would be very helpful and I hope you realize that there is probably little monetary value to be had from these. They could however really help the right person.

Well it was my pleasure to save these from the scrap yard, something I just couldn't let happen. I found these on Craigslist and a friend ended up buying them. Just wanted to check the value, if there is any.

We both work in Hartford, Wi, home of the Kissel, and the Kissel Kar Klub, but I couldn't get ahold of the club, and my friend said the museum wasn't interested in the parts.

Ask Dale Anderson at the museum to put you in touch with Joe Leaf. He can likely use these parts.

Thankyou, I will try to get whole of Dale again. He wasn't answering the phone# for the club and there was no Voicemail to leave a message. Then this morning I was told by our shop supervisor that Dale retired. Leaving his duties at the museum to someone else. Maybe someone else at the museum will know Joe. Thankyou for the info thou.

That's what I'm thinking, I was surprised to hear the museum had no use for them, but then they don't do any restoration there. We are taking the axles there after work to verify they are Kissel. Then maybe set us up with someone that may be interested in them.

Sir,

I collect Kissels and Kissel parts from 1917 thru 1927 or so. I have one 1927 Kissel Saloon and one 1927 Kissel Chassis, but I frankly don't know if your axles would interchange. If they interchange, I would buy them. Pictures would help. BTW, the Kissels I own show that Kissel bought axles from an outside vendor (can't remember name) and that name is cast into the metal. Pictures and measurements from you are a must.

Take care, Ron Hausmann P.E.

Thanks Ron for your interest, I will take pictures of all parts tomorrow after work with measurements. We took the parts to the museum today to verify, but they started their winter hours now and are open Wed. thru Sun. Will stop back there tomorrow.

Could you pm me your email, much easier to send pictures than post them here, thanks.

Here are some clues that could help in identifying the year of your axles. The MoToR Specification Tables I have contain information about 1918 through 1924 cars, and give the following; From '18 through '23 the rear axle was Kissel's own. Here are the ratios; '18 and '19, 4.58; '20, 3.92; '21, 4.25; '22, 4.25/3.64. In '23, own axle but with a B-Lipe differential, ratio not given; '24, axles and differential were both Timken. The ratio of yours could be determined by dividing the number of pinion teeth into those of the ring gear.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

Thankyou Dave for the info, I dropped them off by my friends house today and he'll run them to the museum when he's done with work. I have to work alittle later then will get pictures. He texted me before and found the word "Columbia " on the front axle. Along with the" V195" stamped on top of I beam and "12503" stamped on bottom.

As for the gear ratio, I'd rather not pull the cover off just yet to check, but from memory there was a "0224" cast on the front cover of pumpkin.

Kissel introduced the Columbia axle in the 6-55 and 8-65 models in early 1927. The Model 8-75 continued to use the Timkin axles. Kissel continued to use these axles in the 1928 6-55, 1928 8-80 and 1929-31 8-95 models, however there was some difference in the brakes in the 1929 -31 models. If you look at the diff centre from the front at about 2 o'clock on the outside edge of the flange that bolts to the diff housing there should be a series of numbers indicating the month and year of manufacture. I have three Kissel cars with columbia axles and all have these numbers. If you post a couple of pictures I should be able to Identify the axles for you.

Cheers

John.

Thankyou for that info, very helpful. I'll try to figure out how to post the pictures here also.

Thanks for everyones help.

Okay, this took alot longer than I thought to set up off a smart phone. Hope this works.

30 pictures at http://s948.photobucket.com/albums/ad321/88orangepeelnotch

For some reason picture quality is not as good as it looked when I downloaded them the first time. Also, the order of pictures are all scrambled up. Hope this helps clear up any questions

The #'s stamped across the axle pumpkin are "12049" then "388" then a "D 27".

I could make out some of the stamped numbers on the top of the housing I am fairly sure I can see a 2 and a 7 stamed there. There should be the same numbers stamped into the outside edge of the pumpkin flange. They should be beside the numbers on the housing. The stamped numbers are the dating numbers. These Diffs were used in a variety of cars from about 1926. (some with different brakes) My 1928 Kissel Model 6-55 Speedster is stamped 12 27 manufacture date. This is the month and year of manufacture only. The axle would have been assembled into the car early in 1928. If those stamped numbers on the housing are a 2 and a 7 then the axles in the photos are fron a 1927 Kissel model 6-55 or model 8-65. The cushioned in rubber spring shackles were introduced mid 1926 and the external contracting hydralic brakes finished in 1928

I hope this is of some help

Cheers

John.

Thankyou John, that is very helpful. Would you have any guess about the seat frames? They are double hinged to fold flat. Also, we aren't going to make it to the museum till Saturday now, work picked up finally.

And as for the #'s, it is a 27 but with "D" in front of them.

Edit: I have to correct myself. The seats don't fold flat. The back folds down flat then the whole seat folds up to a vertical position. I'd think they would be front seats for a Coupe, I'm just guessing.

Good question, these parts were given to the previous owner from a couple that owned a Kissel. These were the only parts he had. Don't know why they would part with them. This was the story I was told.

Guest lordairgtar

I was at a small car show in Ixonia Wisconsin and saw a Kissel sedan that was in somewhat somewhat condition...but it was so beautiful to see a car that was for the most part, as found. It ran really smooth from what i could here. Just a very nice example. You never see these driven, only in museums. I have toured the Hartford Wisconsin museum several times.

I have never seen one on the road, and I probably never will. But after buying these parts and digging around for info on them, I've come to really appreciate the engineering that went into these cars. I mean the hydraulic brakes on these axles are a work of art. Very ingenious to say the least.