Car Show, Waxahachie, Tx 9-7-13

TexasJohn55

I had the great pleasure to go with my son to the car show Saturday and meet 3 BCA members from the forum, there may have been others there. Got to meet Willie, aka old-tank, Mike Middleton, aka buick5563 and Willis, aka NTX5467. Didn't get to see which one Willis brought but there were only 3 Buicks from the 50's that I saw, Mikes 55 wagon and Willie's 2 55's. There were some older and newer Buicks but no other 50's. My son said that Willie's 55 convertible was the BEST original car out there, bar none. Willie's driver is nearly as clean as the show car. ( There were alot of 50's Chevys but they just don't do much for me even if they are nice)

Willie, Mike and Willis: It was a real pleasure to finally meet you guys! Puts a face to the name. Made me feel right at home as a newcomer to the forum.

I took alot of pictures, even some of non-Buicks. I will post a couple later.

It was a pleasure meeting you and your son, John.

To fill in some of the story, I trailered Willie's convertible since it had never been shown since I painted it. My garage helper drove the wagon. He had a ball driving a 55. The convertible got an award at the General car show (probably 150 cars), but not the Best of Show that I was hoping for. THAT would have been a good résumé piece. It did get the Best of Show at the Buick Banquet that night, though. I didn't get any pictures because I was fielding questions from numerous people on whether I wanted to paint their cars. I have said it before. Midtown don't paint. Maybe I need to say Mikey don't want to be a car painter...

(repost)

TexasJohn55, it was great to meet you and your son at the meet! An unexpected pleasure.

Mike, that's a great picture of Willie and Jon! It doesn't do justice to the enthusiasm which Jon displayed for '55 Buicks and older Buicks in general, though. Of course, Jon has some of the best mentors on '55 Buicks available to answer almost any question he might ever have on those cars and similar Buicks!

As TexasJohn55's pictures indicate, we had some great Buicks on display.

The Wildcat Conv is owned by former and current member Mike Stappell; the '62 Skylark conv is owned by the man who runs the Yahoo Group on "baby Buicks"; the '62 Special 4-dr sedan is owned by Pete Phillips (formerly by Mike Middleton); '55 Century 4-dr Riviera is Willie's, as is the '55 Century conv; the '55 Century wagon is Mike Middleton's; the gold Riviera is new member Ron Turner's; the black '39 Buick sedan is Don and Cathy Mitchell's latest acquisition (an original car in all respects!); the black '39 Business Coupe belongs to John Velde (this car graced our award plaques this year); the white over lt blue metallic Skylark belongs to Rob Buntaine; the Reatta belongs to Joe Atkinson; last, but not least . . . the white SportWagon (formerly of Joe Taubitz' fleet) has found a great home in Texas with Bob and Sandy Buntaine.

Also on display was Bill Stoneberg's Riviera, sporting its new a/c system; Don and Cathy Mitchell's '70 Skylark conv; the "waist-high" hot rod is owned by the son of Carl Meridith. Carl owns Carl's Custom Cars in Red Oak, TX, which is the shop which re-built the '55 Special 2-dr Riviera (purchased from our chapter member Scotty Aurandt) for the upcoming series "Reality Rides" (check trailers at www.GreeneHDProductions.com) and has done other re-builds of a few Buicks.

As you can see from TexasJohn55's pictures, the many large shade trees kept us comfortable in their shade during the event.

Next year's Fall South Central Regional will be hosted by our associates in the Alamo Chapter. The Spring South Central Regional will be hosted by our Lone Star Chapter associates. We look forward to these events next year!

Thanks to everybody who came by!

Willis Bell

Chapter Director, North Texas Chapter, BCA

I guess my previous post got hacked like a lot of others...anyhow it was a pleasure to finally meet John and his enthusiastic son and get together with old friends. The weather could have been cooler, but the beer is cold no matter what the weather.

Everyone was so helpful. When Mike pulled up with the trailer, Don Mitchell jumped in the truck to guide him to a place to park and unload. By the time I got there he was already under the back side of the CVT getting the axle straps off. Then when I was helping Mike and Jon load and tie down the CVT, Pete Phillips drove by and offered some advice, even though I don't understand how to actually accomplish that maneuver. Maybe he will demonstrate sometime, or in the meantime we will study the iphone video that Jon captured.

Willie

• 5 weeks later...
Guest kreed54

I would have loved to gone to that one. I love to see those beautiful Buicks. Let me know if you guys ever come through Waco, TX. Its great to see folks in central TX who also are into Buicks. If anyone knows of a place where I can purchase a rebuilt dynaflow or get one rebuilt please let me know.

kreed54