64 wildcat 4 door console 4 speed

Guest 64wildcat4spd

Guest 64wildcat4spd

Hello. I am new to the forum. My uncle in law has his grand daddy's 1964 buick wildcat. 4 door hardtop 4 speed console with bucket seats. 465 engine. He just got it back from having a frame off restoration done and we are curious as to how rare it is. It is a one owner always sheltered car. Have the bill of sale and we know every mile it has rolled. I will post pictures and get any other numbers for who ever will help me. We have plans to go to the buick nationals next year and we would like to know where we stand. Thank you.

According to 1964 Buick, Special, LeSabre, Wildcat, Riviera, Electra, there were 17,519 four door hardtop Wildcats built in 1964. The 425 cid engine (called the Wildcat 465 based on the torque rating) of the engine) was optional in the Wildcat, as was the four speed. I understand there are others that may have a better breakdown of numbers, but I believe this would have been quite a rare car in the first place, to say nothing of how many have survived fifty years later.

It sounds like a great car and I look forward to seeing it and meeting you next year in Portland.

Hello. I am new to the forum. ...1964 buick wildcat. 4 door hardtop 4 speed console with bucket seats. 465 engine. ...we are curious as to how rare it is. .... We have plans to go to the buick nationals next year and we would like to know where we stand. Thank you.

Welcome to this Forum. Forget about counts of how many are left . This was a rare combination to begin with and will be a stand out car if you take it to the Buick Club National Meet anywhere.

Since you are new you may not be aware of how cars are judged in the Buick Club of America. This Club uses a system where each car is judged against a stated standard. As such each and every single car can be eligible for an award.

There are four standard judging categories. The 400 point is for restored or original cars. The standard here is how close the car's condition is to the day it was delivered from the factory. The Club is very generous in that all cars start with 400 points and then points are deducted for items that are not factory correct. There is not a deduction for over restored cars and parts.

The Archival class is also a 400 point category but here the standard is how close the car is to the day it came off the assembly line. Condition is not important here, originality is. There are exemptions for consumables which are un-obtainable. But there are some mandatory deductions that could disqualify a car. For example, if 75% of a vehicle has been painted, then it is disqualified for this class. You also run risks for modifications. For example, if you put dual exhaust system on a car that was supposed to come with single exhaust, then there is a mandatory deduction. But if you put a factory correct exhaust on a car in this class then that would be an exclusion for a deduction.

Then there is the Drivers class. Here the car needs to be period correct. You can put any hubcaps on the car as long as they were available in the period the car was new. Then the car has to be driven the entire distance to the meet. It cannot be towed or flatbedded, it has to be driven the entire distance.

Last is the Modified Class. This one I am not totally familiar with but I understand there are three classes within this group depending on how modified your car is.

There is also a race car class. This is for the few Factory produced race cars.

All this information is explained in detail on the Buick club of America Website, where you can also join the BCA if you are not already a member.

Looking forward to the pictures of this Wildcat.

Guest 64wildcat4spd

I am curious how to come up with those numbers. I have no clue and I know it's rare but I really want proof. I have been to lots of shows where rare cars are about and they have signs made that say something like 30,000 19xx buick xxxxx were made. Of those xxxxx and of those xxxxx and of those 1 was xxx color this is that car. I would love to tell people that and show it. However I would love to have real proof. I am going to a local show tomorrow and it will be in full dress. I will get some pictures and post. Thanks for all the great info. And please continue to help.

Those early '60's 4 speed cars of all makes pop up from time to time. I'll bet that a little research on the cars, particularly non-performance type cars, would turn up an Airstream trailer in the original owner's history.

I remember Airstream caravans being a popular event in the mid to late '50's. We had a neighbor with a 1962 Chrysler Newport 4 door 4 speed who pulled his with other people.

Automatics got off to a slow start with the 40 to 50 year old guys in the early 1950's; too trouble prone. My Dad bought new Chevies in '53, '55, '59; all stick. Then a '62 and a '63 Ford; both stick. A '66 Galaxie 500 was the first automatic. Trailer pullers bought the stick. Check some Airstream sites and look at the tow vehicles. You'll get a feel for the origin of those options.

Bernie

60, your comment about older guys not wanting automatics reminded me of my uncle. He always bought base model cars with a radio as the only option. He didn't buy an automatic, power steering, power brake car until my aunt finally put her foot down and insisted on an automatic - their 1971 Impala was their first. She was tired of driving their 3 speed, manual steering 1965 V8 Plymouth Fury I. In contrast, my parents first automatic, power steering car was their 1954 Ford Crestline Victoria.

Interesting perspective. My father was a farmer, so drove a manual transmission in his big trucks until he got out of farming. From the '69 Meteor (first car I remember), they were all automatic. All his pickups were automatic (starting with '74 or '76 Ford) except for a 5 speed in a Ranger he had for a few years. I think if one drove the big, cumbersome vehicles with manual transmissions, perhaps an automatic was desired.

When my parents got married, Dad had a '57 Chevrolet...I don't recall if he ever noted if it was an automatic or not.

Guest wildcat465
I am curious how to come up with those numbers. I have no clue and I know it's rare but I really want proof. I have been to lots of shows where rare cars are about and they have signs made that say something like 30,000 19xx buick xxxxx were made. Of those xxxxx and of those xxxxx and of those 1 was xxx color this is that car. I would love to tell people that and show it. However I would love to have real proof. I am going to a local show tomorrow and it will be in full dress. I will get some pictures and post. Thanks for all the great info. And please continue to help.

None of the true numbers of how many of what built is left Buick wise. All burned up in a fire, gone, period.

One of X is pure speculation for your car, sorry.

Go back and read JohnD1956 post #5.

Enjoy your car, join the BCA, bring it out and show it, and for gosh sakes, show us some pictures! :)

My information comes from joting down notes from previous 1960's 4 speed topics and posts. Appears I may be off by 1 from Ted's input. I did have a couple of copies of 1960's era BMD letters, but those were given to a 4 speed collector in Kansas some years ago. I agree with Paul and others. I am not a "1 of" fan. All of us know that ANY full size Buick manual transmission car (3 sp or 4 sp, column or floor) from the 60's and 50's are rare, desirable and we love to see them.

Wow...cool Buick. Ted is correct, the daily car reports breakdown how many were produced based on body style. My favorite colors too...

FWIW..I`m seeking to purchase a factory long console style shifter from a `63-`64 Buick like the one pictured. If anyone has one for sale or knows a source please send me a PM. Love to see more pics of this beauty, good luck!

Tom Mooney

Guest 64wildcat4spd

the main reason for wanting a production number and how rare it is is because I wanted to know how much to insure it for. I know what we have in it. And for the shear fun of knowing its rare piece of history.

For insurance purposes, you are probably best off to get an appraiser to look at it. They may discuss with you how much you think it is worth, but having that independent assessment is going to give the insurance company something to go on. Compared to the cost of restoration (or a tank or two of fuel for that matter), I think an appraisal can be money well spent.

In reality, the insurance company doesn't care much about its value - they will charge premiums based upon the agreed value for insurance purposes. That is then the maximum they will pay out for a total loss. In the event of a loss, the onus will still be on you to prove its value, which again makes an appraisal a good idea.

There are price guides out there (such as NADA) that can help you determine its value, but they are guides and may not properly account for certain options. They are generally based upon known sales, so cars of a particular model that don't change hands often make the guides less reliable for that model.

I hope this helps out a bit.