1927 Model T value

rocketraider

Young friend (24) told me tonight he's found a 1927 T roadster in a nearby town. Runs and drives and is basically solid but needs a lot of cosmetics. Top, paint, interior. It's a wood wheel job. Seller wants $8500 which I thought was a little steep based on the phone pics Jess had and on current selling prices for T's and A's.

Down in Model T forums there's a nicely restored doctor's coupe selling for $14000 OBO, which reinforces my thought this T is priced a bit high. He and his dad do most of their own work but I don't think they could restore it to that same condition for $6000. The T would be a new adventure for them as most of their restorations have been military Jeeps and commercial vehicles.

Based on description, any ideas on value? He wants the car but doesn't want to overpay for it. He also really wants to learn to drive a T- the pedals intrigue the boy. I've already steered him to Mitch's excellent video.

Jess offered the owner 5g for it and he turned it down flat. May have been Jess's age, maybe owner is just hardheaded.

I'm seeing more and more overpriced cars in this area anyway. A local dealer has a 64 Thunderbird that to be kind is a turd and wants $12500 for it, and won't back off. I think they've all been watching too much auction and Fast 'n' Loud.

There's a thing about free advertising for cars and that is people believe they have a gold mine and that is reinforced by Barret Jackson, reality shows, supposed world record auction results and over priced price guides. They can place an ad repeatedly with an inflated price. You always hear "I don't really want to sell it but if somebody comes along and pays me $XXXXX for it I'll let it go". Well that somebody never comes along cause he's waiting for the owner to die and he'll get it out of the garage without even charging for the tow. If people had to pay for the advertising they'd be more realistic with their pricing. Try looking at completed Ebay sales( green is sold red is unsold).

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

To parrot what has already been said, I bought this for less than 8K only a couple years ago from a hobbyist that had had it for sale among many other hobbyists for about two years (wasn't flying off the shelf). Runs great. Only minor tinkering was needed before tour ready. Ruckstell, rebuilt engine, new radiator and much more included. It IS an old restoration that really needs a repaint (but still looks okay). Nice, but not strictly correct interior.

No, I do not want to sell it. Prices have not gone up much in two years, in spite of all the stupid TV shows.

post-95442-143142179834_thumb.jpg

(Not used to this forum format, I hope the picture comes out okay)

Your friend can do better.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2