1932 Chevy Coffe Table

Fordlover96

Hey guys! I'm just gonna start off with a little about me. I am currently still in High School and work on my car when ever I have free time. My pride and joy is my 1993 Ford Taurus SHO. Not only is it my first car, it is my baby. It has such personality and just something special about it......but that's not what I'm here for. Originally I was going to build a coffee table out of an extra SHO intake (look it up, it really is a work of art by itself :)) but my neighbor, a fellow AACA member, offered me an engine block and head from 1932 Chevy. *PLEASE NOTE, The cylinder walls were extremely scored and the head had a crack in it. Therefore, it was no longer an functional engine* So, I decided to make a coffee table with out of that and some beautiful pieces of wood another neighbor offered me. Below is all the pictures of the finished product and steps. Feel free to ask questions and comment.

After painting the block with some Gloss Gray Rust-Oleum *I originally painted the mating surface w/ silver paint, but I ended up scraping that off.

20130712_141506_zps4259ca4b.jpg20130712_141522_zpsff94ff97.jpg

Now here is the finished product. *Some info, the wood is 20 year old Douglas Fir (finished with just some poly), and the glass is just simple plate glass from the local glass shop.*

DSC_0003_zpse8c3c087.jpgDSC_0004_zps943fa410.jpgDSC_0005_zps05cd48fc.jpgDSC_0006_zpsa4ba6d62.jpg

Now to help out even more, my neighbor had a 1932 Model and a little poster with a 1932 Chevy on it.

DSC_0006_zps06e8c085.jpg

DSC_0005_zps2bc7a5f6.jpg

DSC_0003_zpse99713f5.jpg

DSC_0004_zps08d9885a.jpg

Now, what do you think I did with these under-cabinet lights i found in the clearance section a Home Depot?..........Why I put them inside there, of course!

20130712_141537_zpsfc3db195.jpg

Here is what it looks like when lit up.

DSC_0007_zps91a8b5e7.jpg

DSC_0008_zps56130e30.jpg

DSC_0009_zps0417ef4b.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsc9de6570.jpg

DSC_0011_zps38e3a5c7.jpg

DSC_0014_zps11722189.jpg

DSC_0016_zpsb2b3e5c7.jpg

(If you can't tell, my entire room is car themed :))

Last but not least, a big shout out for my 2 neighbors. One for offering my this once in a lifetime opportunity to have a piece of American automotive history, and wanting nothing in return. And the other for offering me some wood he had saved for years and helping me join the two pieces together (yes, that's two pieces, you can barely tell!!) The saying "It's not what you know, but rather who you know" is very true indeed.

Edited by Fordlover96
Spelling (see edit history)

Just wanted to let you all know I'm the " next door neighbor" who supplied the block and head. Christian came to me with the idea and I had the engine from an old project. The vision was all his! Makes me glad that we have young people that have the love for cars and the history of them. They are the future of AACA and we should all encourage any interest in the hobby. I've seen V-8 motors done but this is the first '32 Chevy Six Cyl. Coffee Table I've ever seen; I love it!

Mickey

Really neat creativity.

We once created the image of a 1959 Chevy Impala having Backed through our son's upstairs bedroom wall, complete with taillights flashing, and a license plate with his name.....wish we still had photos of that, but most old prints were washed away with Hurricane Katrina's flood waters.

Congratulations on a great project, and thank you to Mickey McChesney for encouraging a young hobbyist.

Thanks you guys for the complements! This was defiantly one of most fun and rewarding things I have done yet. I will never really be able to thank Mr. McChesney for all that he has done; helping me to become a member of the AACA and sharing his knowledge. Come to think of it, I could just yell it out my window.....he is my neighbor, afterall!

Edited by Fordlover96 (see edit history)

I just love this sort of thing. You know you could probably pay for part of college by making cool side and coffee tables like this and marketing online (if you can figure out how to ship) or consigning through a local antique shop or similar. Btw is that grill from a 190e? Any story there?

It would be kinda cool to make some money on the side doing stuff like this, it wouldn't even feel like work! And yes, the Grill is from a 190E I found in a junkyard when I was looking for parts for my SHO. The car was in bad shape, but the grill was amazingly intact. The pointed star was still there. Cost me a whole 8 bucks.....haha

It would be kinda cool to make some money on the side doing stuff like this, it wouldn't even feel like work!

That's the best kind of job isn't it? I'd say you have the skill, talent, creativity and support from friends and neighbors to go this route, maybe not as a career but at least a side project to make money. I'd probably switch to tempered glass if you're selling to the public however in case someone's kid tosses a Hotwheels car through it there is less change of injury (ie: lawsuit).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again guys for the complements!

UPDATE If any of you are planning to come the AACA "Wings and Wheels" at the Virginia Military Aviation museum, this 28th, I will be there! I will actually be entered in the show this year for my first time. Just find the only white 1993 Ford Taurus SHO, and come talk to me! haha

Edited by Fordlover96 (see edit history)

Guest ole buick

You certainly have creative talent. While selecting a profession keep that talent in mind. If you do what you enjoy it will be fun to make a living.

Guest Henry White
I like it! Now if you could just put a light in each cylinder and have them light up in sequence.....

That would be cool. It is cool now, very cool. Nice table!