ID a 1920s truck please

post-31494-143142138766_thumb.jpgWe have a 1920's pickup. we can't find the year on it. But it has a bright blue placque on the front above the radiator that says D B Senior.

Could you tell me if this is maybe a special edition or be able to tell the year by this it is in very good condition

Thank You

Ruth Acor

post-31494-143142138696_thumb.jpg

post-31494-14314213876_thumb.jpg

Edited by Peter Gariepy (see edit history)

Hi Ruth,

in order to properly and correctly ID the year and model we would need more information. Here is a checklist of things we would typically need in this situation to achieve an answer for you.

1.) Pics of the engine both sides.

2.) Pics of the rear and side views.

3.) Interior pics of the dash, floor, steering.

4.) Frame serial number #

5.) Engine serial #.

Initially I believe this to be made up of several parts from other makes and models but the engine and frame #'s will tell the whole story.

Started out as a 1929 Dodge Brothers Senior Six four door sedan. Here is the Sport sedan with sidemount spares. The one in question was converted to a truck and looks like it did not have sidemounts. This was usually done during the Great Depression since trucks were easier to get gas for or were allotted more.

post-37352-143142138854_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142138864_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142138867_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142138877_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142138897_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142138901_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142138904_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142138908_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Started out as a 1929 Dodge Brothers Senior Six four door sedan. Here is the Sport sedan with sidemount spares. The one in question was converted to a truck. This was usually done during the Great Depression since trucks were easier to get gas for or were allotted more.

The reason why we need rear and side view pics is because of what keiser has stated here that it possibly being converted to a truck at some point in it's lifetime.

Good eye John, yep, 4 hinges on the doors, windshield frame matches, bumper medallions, radiator etc...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

The reason why we need rear and side view pics is because of what keiser has stated here that it possibly being converted to a truck at some point in it's lifetime.

Since they did not make a Senior Six truck (except for some ambulances and hearses), I am pretty certain it was a standard sedan.

Since they did not make a Senior Six truck (except for some ambulances and hearses), I am pretty certain it was a standard sedan.

I would agree. So it's a 1929 Senior, what would be the full technical name if someone would hypothetically want to title it or sale it ? Meaning, we just need to find out if it's the DB or 2252 for the correct engine code.

BTW, the reason I think it's important to see the engine still is to verify the engine is the proper one that should be in the vehicle.

keiser31

I was unaware that there was gas rationing during the depression. I thought you could get all the gas you could pay for, most people couldn't afford much.

It was during WW11 that there was an allotment system.

Layden....you got me wondering if I am confused....again. As Homer Simpson would say, "D'oh".

keiser31

I was unaware that there was gas rationing during the depression. I thought you could get all the gas you could pay for, most people couldn't afford much.

It was during WW11 that there was an allotment system.

The reason autos were converted to trucks during the depression was because trucks were more useful than the cars, the cars that were more problem than they were worth were worth more for scrap and that unfortunately was the demise of many early cars.

They ( assuming Dodge ) did not make a Senior truck of any kind, no ambulance nor hearse. The chassis was purchased and an outside coachbuilder would provide the custom body.

Nearly ever automaker during this time period offered the same sort of service to its customers, this was not anything special Dodge was doing.

There are telltale signs that could help pinpoint the model of Senior but not with these pictures and the best way of assigning the model number would be thru the serial number.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

The Senior 6 was used in the larger GB trucks, and these trucks would be later badged as Dodge Bros trucks. See attached article from " DB Newsletter" as a reference.

It appears to be the truck is a converted passenger car.

post-71470-143142139526_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142139532_thumb.jpg

Assuming Peter posted these on Ruths behalf I would imagine she is viewing this thread to gain an understanding of what the vehicle is. That being said, I believe if someone would kindly post where she would find the engine #, any serial # or frame # locations it would probably help her. I'm a truck guy, I don't know anything about this passenger car.

Not to split hairs but it would have been on toe board passenger end of vehicle, almost as far as you can go till you run out of toeboard, dont expect to find the plate near the steering column and wouldnt want anyone to waste too much time looking there.....assuming this vehicle still has the original wood floorboards.

Engine number pass side toward front of engine most probably

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Not to split hairs but it would have been on toe board passenger end of vehicle, almost as far as you can go till you run out of toeboard, dont expect to find the plate near the steering column and wouldnt want anyone to waste too much time looking there.....assuming this vehicle still has the original wood floorboards.

Engine number pass side toward front of engine most probably

That is what I thought. I guess the book that I referred to had it wrong.

Yep.......looks like it was a sedan. A truck would never have been that fancy on the inside. Thanks for the new photos. I see what looks to be a toeboard plate.....by the steering column. Here is the interior shot from the book. That vehicle looks to have a lot of tough to find pieces on it. Or maybe it could be saved depending on rust issues not visible inthe photos.

post-37352-143142150749_thumb.jpg

Guest ruthacor

I have some more pictures but do not know how to put them on. one shows the back of the truck another shows the number on the motor and others. I need to know how much it is worth as we want to sell it. Hopefully you can tell the year, etc with the new pictures and help me get the others on. Thanks Ruth

I have some more pictures but do not know how to put them on. one shows the back of the truck another shows the number on the motor and others. I need to know how much it is worth as we want to sell it. Hopefully you can tell the year, etc with the new pictures and help me get the others on. Thanks Ruth

As I stated earlier in this thread, the car started out as a 1929 Dodge Brothers Senior Six sedan. Feel free to send the photos to me and I will post them here. John

keiser31@charter.net

Here are some more photos of the vehicle. The engine number S-62590 falls within the 1928-1929 year designation. Clearly shown in the side view is the sedan rear panel moved up and grafted to the sedan body just behind the front door.

post-37352-143142154756_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142154766_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142154774_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14314215479_thumb.jpg

Hi Ruth,

thanks for posting more pics. I believe you will get a variety of figures ranging from $500 to $4000, keep in mind these are all personal opinions and what a person is willing to pay is going to be the real deciding factor. I'm guessing this is what is referred to as a "Buckboard" but some of the other guys may know better than I about the proper term. As for my opinion on worth if I was in the market I wouldn't want to pay more than $1500-1800 and I believe that is an honest fair price for the vehicle considering the condition and the many alterations that's taken place. I hope we've helped, Good luck with the sale and thanks for sharing it with us.

Dave

By the way, it may help your cause if you let us know what region of the country it's located incase someone sees this and has an interest. Beautiful country wherever it is...:D

There are some problems with arriving at a value for the truck. The car was a low production car, being such there are few people with similar cars who need parts (less than a dozen senior six cars in the Dodge Brothers Club). There are few parts to restore this truck back as a car. There would have to be a person with unusual interest in restoring it as a truck. The location of the truck would make the cost to ship or haul it prohibitive. On the bright side, it does have a history with the property which would be entertaining to share. That may be what it is worth.

• 3 years later...