1957 Chry Imp new owner

NICE score!!!! If there is a little crown dotting the "i" in Imperial, it is a "Crown" of which 4,885 were built. If the crown is not there over the "i", it is a "Southampton" of which 4,199 were built.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest DodgeKCL

I was curious what keiser31 was talking about so I went to my American Cars 1946-1975 and looked up 1957 Imperials. It appears this car is indeed not a Crown Imperial but a C57/1M1-2 Imperial otherwise called a 'Southampton'. A Crown Imperial would be either blue,maroon,black or green not beige. The Crown Imperial was custom built in Turin Italy by Ghia. The 'dot' over the letter 'i' was a 'crown' to distinguish the IM1-2 from the Imperial IM1-1. This car doesn't have the 'crown' over the 'i' ,it has a 'dot'.

I was curious what keiser31 was talking about so I went to my American Cars 1946-1975 and looked up 1957 Imperials. It appears this car is indeed not a Crown Imperial but a C57/1M1-2 Imperial otherwise called a 'Southampton'. A Crown Imperial would be either blue,maroon,black or green not beige. The Crown Imperial was custom built in Turin Italy by Ghia. The 'dot' over the letter 'i' was a 'crown' to distinguish the IM1-2 from the Imperial IM1-1. This car doesn't have the 'crown' over the 'i' ,it has a 'dot'.

I did not see the side "Imperial" emblem, but if the crown is not over the "i" on the fenders, that is correct that it is NOT a Crown Imperial.

Guest DodgeKCL

This guy is such an easy mark. Don't you just love yanking his chain and watching him blow up. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

I, for one, was not chain yanking. I simply did not see the fender emblem closely enough to tell if it is indeed a Crown. Now we know. Thanks, Dave.
I believe he is talking about me!:) I'm honored that he thinks that. His info is possibly wrong, remember, i only been at this for a year. A Southampton is named on all the Imp line in the 2 and 4 door hardtop only. The (CROWN) makes it a higher line. Since we know G.M. Its like comparing a (BISCAYNE, BELL AIR, IMPALA. CAPRiSE) I had a friend over yesterday to help me identify parts and to show him the car. The car he said is a later one because it has 4 headlights and the early one has 2. The gentlemen that was here is Gary from SanBenanedo Ca. He has had about 100 of these cars and others. He has been in the old Mopars for about 40 years plus his dad for many years before that. About 100 years between the 2 of them. The name of his company is G&G MOPARS. Couldn't believe the knowledge this man has.Am honored to have him here marking a lot of these parts. went through a lot of markers:))

I believe he is talking about me!:) I'm honored that he thinks that. His info is possibly wrong, remember, i only been at this for a year. A Southampton is named on all the Imp line in the 2 and 4 door hardtop only. The (CROWN) makes it a higher line. Since we know G.M. Its like comparing a (BISCAYNE, BELL AIR, IMPALA. CAPRiSE) I had a friend over yesterday to help me identify parts and to show him the car. The car he said is a later one because it has 4 headlights and the early one has 2. The gentlemen that was here is Gary from SanBenanedo Ca. He has had about 100 of these cars and others. He has been in the old Mopars for about 40 years plus his dad for many years before that. About 100 years between the 2 of them. The name of his company is G&G MOPARS. Couldn't believe the knowledge this man has.Am honored to have him here marking a lot of these parts. went through a lot of markers:))

Man, I wish I was down there with you guys helping to determine what you have!

DodgeKCL " This guy is such an easy mark. Don't you just love yanking his chain and watching him blow up. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> " You were wrong and you owe an apology. You were schooled.
BOB, your to modest:rolleyes:

Gary said he knows you!