27 studebaker build

boojoe

Pulled the head and intake from the temp engine,I may have lucked out the pistons are tight and not much ridge. Just a couple of stuck valves. I'm planning on putting it back together and try to fire it .Also I'm getting a two bolt starter on Monday.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a call from Stutzmans yesterday. My wheels will be done Tuesday !! That's great and it was less than $1000. I pulled the OD trans and found a large mouse nest in the clutch ,looks like a new clutch and pressure plate is in order. I'm planning on dropping the oil pan to look for critters. I'm also looking for a three speed trans with a floor shift out of a truck. That will save me the trouble of fabing a floor shift.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two Studebaker champion 6 cyl engines . One will be my temp engine . I striped one down and found a broken dist. drive shaft and a bad bearing. Striped motor #2 yesterday and it looks good! I'm putting in rings and bearings and I'll be good to go. The first motor had stuck valves, The second doesn't. Now I need to find a 46 three speed trans with a floor shift. (out of a pick-up)I also varnished the wheels and they look great. Pics to follow

30x50 is much larger than what I'm building. Maybe you should put a storm cellar in it big enough to hide your projects? I farm and got out of hogs 2 yrs ago so I had to do something with the building. I tore the dry sow barn off the end, poured new concrete(with heating pipes) and am in the process of putting up a 30x36x14 with an 18x12 door. I need to be able to fix tractors and grain trucks in the winter as well, so no room for a lift. If you look at the top of the pic, the existing farrowing barn is still insulated so the dividing wall will be removed to give open access to another 40ft of workbench/storage/washroom/office area with an 8ft ceiling. There is another 40ft of feeder barn attached to that which will likely become unheated storage for our daily drivers. Regardless, I am very much looking forward to having a heated shop that I can work in during the winter months. The older I get, the less I appreciate snowbanks.

Edited by whtbaron (see edit history)

Maybe a good pair of portable ramps, and I've been researching the different designs for rotisseries. With the low ceiling on the north end it might be something that rocks to one side at a time. I have dreams of a sandblasting cabinet big enough for fenders or bumpers, a frame jig, a sheet metal brake....lol, the list is endless. I guess I should have been building a larger shop....

I promise to post pics of the wheels tomorrow! I need to let you guys know about Stutzmans wheel shop. I sent them my 25 Studebaker wheels about 7 weeks ago. He said he would call when they were done. He called me 5 weeks later and told me they were finished and my bill was $980.00 I sent him a bank check the next day! About 6 days later I got the wheels back and the workmanship is amazing. The next day I got an envelope from Stutzman in the mail. In the envelope was a note telling me he had charged me too much and a check for $100. He said he made a mistake when he added the bill!!I was shocked at this mans honesty. I would have never known he charged too much. After reading many restoration horror stories its great to deal with this type of person. I would highly recommend Stutzmans wheel shop,,Baltic Ohio if you need wood spoke wheels rebuilt

There's some posts on the HAMB from guys that have built their own and I've seen some homebuilt ones used in agricultural applications as well. The more successful ones seem to be well sealed and self ventilated with filters. I didn't think I'd need that, but maybe your experience says otherwise. My plan was to use an old combine hopper as a base to work from and leave one end open for larger parts. Perhaps it needs to be sealed up better than that. Silica sand is also a nasty component to work with... I've been investigating soda blasting or other media that won't get into parts quite as bad.

Guest QGolden

Boojoe! Nice job on the wheels and a great story. You ought to send Stutzmans a link to this thread. No heat in my shop here in NH so my build is slowing to a crawl. I just bought the Sheetmetal, door hinges, and latches.

I was planning to use an old van for a blasting cabinet. Take out the seats, cut a couple of arm holes in the side. Add an exhaust fan. Stick the hose of my blaster in the side and start blasting away.

If you try this cover the windows on the inside with clear plastic, replace when it gets frosted. This will save replacing the windows.

• 2 weeks later...

update -- had to rebuild my 6 cyl engine, today I got to set it back in the frame! I'm thinking I can use the truck trans as I had to change the front mount so the engine is about 3 in. higherI'm going to check fitment before I finish mounting the motor.Progress has slowed due to Christmas and trying to get my house ready to sell. Plus I'm going to Ct. end of next week.

It would be interesting to know where the drums came from. They appear to be cast aluminum with circumferential fins. It also looks like they kept the rod-actuated brakes. I'll try to find out about the drums.

Fitting new brakes, hubs, wheels, and drums to axles from old cars is a lot of work!

Boojoe, what's your plan for brakes, hubs, and wheels?

post-47871-143142318969_thumb.jpg