Snubber Adjusting Tool

Thank you for the quick response and education. I would not have guessed If I'd seen one.

Can't help on that , but I have a Studebaker light six valve spring compressor. Spread the word !

I'll keep a look out for your tool. Try a post on "Tool Talk". lots of old time tool collectors. Google the address.

Roy

I had the tool in the photographs above, it went with the Dixie Flyer back to Kentucky Trailer (previously Kentucky Wagon Mfg Co) in Louisville. I have since made one out of scrap and it has worked on the "mongrel" Packard If you have access to a pony sized horse shoe that would be a good basic start if you are concerned about appearance. The "pins' need to be about 2 inches long and about 4 inches apart. Coburn (Ben) Benson has suggested that you could use a suitably modified large monkey wrench. You also need a pair of vice grip pliers to clamp the tape while you refit the clips.

It is not compulsory to use a molehill to start making a mountain. Any old pile of dirt will suffice.

post-51681-143141877831_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143141877823_thumb.jpg

How about some pics of the tool in action? Or a description of how it is used. I'm just not clear how it would remove slack. It looks like it would just pull the slack out to a different position but not tighten it.

I'm just not clear how it would remove slack. It looks like it would just pull the slack out to a different position but not tighten it.

You are quite correct in saying that it "pulls the slack out to a different position" the whole purpose is to increase the pressure on the spring in the centre of the snubber by shifting the slack to the outer end past the anchoring clip. You need to appreciate how the snubber works first. You have overlooked my reference to a pair of vice grip pliers to clamp the tape i.e. that is to stop the tape rewinding into the snubber while you reposition the anchor clip. I apologise if if have failed to make this clear. I am 76 years old and work entirely by myself I do not employ outside help or have a team of assistants standing by. I have just one pair of hands which given the cramped conditions under the car particularly at the rear are sometimes more than sufficient. This does mean that on some occasions I have to employ my brains. Hopefully this photograph will show the basic idea. The people who designed these snubbers during the late teens were not rocket scientists.

post-51681-143141878709_thumb.jpg Having clamped the tape you can then remove the snubber adjuster, take up the slack and reposition the anchor clip at the axle end of the tape. Finally remove the vice grip pliers.

It is not compulsory to use a molehill to start making a mountain. Any old pile of dirt will suffice.

post-51681-143141878704_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Hopefully this "exploded" photograph may help to explain how the snubber works. The tape is attached to the fixed "shoe" which also locates the coil spring, this also incorporates the mounting onto the chassis. the tape is wound around the shoe at the other end of the coil spring. As tension is applied to the end of the tape this spring is compressed. the loose outer end of the tape is anchored to a loop fixed to the axle. As the car rises and falls on the suspension (leaf spring) tension is applied via the tape causing the coil spring inside the snubber to be compressed. This in turn applies pressure on the tape hence the "snubbing" action i.e. limiting the rebound of the suspension. Again I apologise as this is a difficult subject to explain to someone on the other side of the world. Any time you feel like coming over I will demonstrate the workings of the Gabriel snubber first hand.

post-51681-143141878743_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Thanks for the invite. Would love to visit your part of the world. I understand now what the tool does. I did overlook the reference to the vise grips. Thanks for the great description and pictures. Jay

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest David K Mc Sherry
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2013 at 8:55 AM, 24StudeCoupe said:

I am looking to buy a Snubber Adjusting Tool. I missed a couple of them on Ebay. Let me know.

Wayne

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2015 at 6:29 AM, ronvb said:

I have one to sell. It does not have Gabriel embossed on it but it reads " snubber adjuster".
It is in good condition with its original black paint.
If interested please email ronvanblarcom@yahoo.com
Thanks
ronvb

snubber adjuster1.jpg

Guest David K Mc Sherry
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2013 at 9:15 AM, Bill Boudway said:

Hi Wayne,

I need one too.

Perhaps someone has a pair to sell.