BUICK 'CONCEPT RIVIERA'

smithbrother

So the new ownership of GM (I know my stock is gone) is the toast of the Shanghai Auto Show. Mere words can't begin to describe the sentiment. I think if it had shared one body line or styling Que with my '64 I would have sold my car and bought a Studebaker.

Bernie

I have owned two Riviera's. A 1976 and a 1979. If this one is built I' ll be the first in line.

Beware as it may end up being made in China. No thanks. I think somehow I share some Bernie's sentiment but with all of GM. Red, white and blue have no business on this car.

Personally, YES, I would prefer ALL BUICK'S be built in the USA, but like it or not it's a world market, and cars are being build everywhere.

I can't imagine that Buick engineer's weren't/wouldn't be involved in any and all car produced. Maybe not 100%, but involved.

I like many of you, have purchased China made merchandise, most that I have purchased has been of good quality.

We will see, I remain positive,

Dale in Indy

There has benn some discussion about GM changing the Buick emblem.

Please note in the photo of the return of the red, white, and blue tri shield.

Will this be the " new logo"?

From what I understand, the Buicks sold in China have always had the Red, White & Blue logo.

Guest my3buicks

If it wasn't for China, our beloved Buick brand would have gone the same way as Olds and Pontiac - there is not one Buick in the new stable of cars that I would not own in a heartbeat.

This Riv would be the perfect Halo car

Buick has debuted nice looking show cars in China previously. Some have punched all of our buttons, only to not be brought to fruition in the states.

I won't buy a four door Buick and I am not a fan of GM anymore (new ones). I "might" buy a 2 door sports coupe in a couple years when my new Ford F150 is paid off, but I doubt GM has the kahunas to bring this car to the US market.

I don't care what you put under the hood, I no longer speed or anything. Make it a hybrid that would be fine with me, but styling, give me style and wild colors and such. More then either beige or grey interiors.

Unfortunately, product cycles that used to be 3 years are now 7-8. Take the Buick SUV, the LaCrosse* and the LuCerne. These cars were tweaked but never received a restyle.

* Latest generation LaCrosse is a nice looking and operating car but now has already been around 4 years.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

What if............ the marketing geniuses who mistook and told the American public Ford Granada's looked like Mercedes-Benz cars dug into old records and mistakenly thought the Lincoln Zephyr had a proud heritage were exiled to China, got really old and nearly blind, and thought they could pull this:

189170d1366391217t-buick-concept-riviera-image.jpg off as this:

post-46237-143141863738_thumb.jpg, but mess up the headlights for innocence.

They audi know they'd get caught.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

What if............ the marketing geniuses who mistook and told the American public Ford Granada's looked like Mercedes-Benz cars dug into old records and mistakenly thought the Lincoln Zephyr had a proud heritage were exiled to China, got really old and nearly blind, and thought they could pull this:

189170d1366391217t-buick-concept-riviera-image.jpg off as this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]189412[/ATTACH], but mess up the headlights for innocence.

They audi know they'd get caught.

Bernie

I remember that ad. I couldn't believe anyone could be that stupid.

The Chinese Riv sure looks like a rip-off on that Bentley.

If you remember that gold tone Buick extra that came with our Bugle a few months ago, there was a strong use of the standing B emblem that oozed Bentley to me. Maybe it wasn't subtle enough for me to absorb subliminally, sorry marketing guys it was more blatant. And the use of the term premium automobile as opposed to luxury has been giving me that Rolls-Royce vs. Bentley flavor.

I have seen quite a bit of British influence in Buick over the years. In the mid-1930's there were some Roadmasters in the royal courtyard at Edinburgh. Then the Riviera came out with obvious Sliver Cloud lines in '63 and '64. Bumpers, sail panels, razor edge fender lines; I have had them within inches to compare:

036.png

If you are familiar with the 1980's XJ6 Jaguars you can see a lot of influence in the 1990's LeSabres. The ogee is almost dead on.

I also remember a story about Bill Mitchell being disappointed that he couldn't adapt the 1971-73 boat tail design to the smaller GM A body. I bought my first XJS Jaguar delivered in a trailer. The first time I drove it out the driveway and nudged that smooth V12 and felt the 4,000 pound heft I thought "Wow! This is the Riviera Bill wanted to build." Those were my British Buicks.

So Buick chasing that British image niche and making a knock off of the Bentley Continental coupe (wish it kept the round headlights) is not a bad pursuit; something they have toyed with before.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Wind tunnel testing ?

Check out the new Dimaxon by Buckminster Fuller.

Google is your friend........

Mike in Colorado

PS; Sorry about the spelling. It's hard to do a search if you can't spell, so here are some "stats"

Dymaxion Car.

A teardrop shaped 3 wheel, single rear steering, 20 foot long, aluminium bodied automobile, designed by Buckminster Fuller in 1933. It was 6' tall, seated 10 (count'em TEN) passengers plus the driver, weighed around 1600 pounds, went 120 MPH on a 90 HP ford V-8, and got 30 MPG !!!!!!!!!

I want to see this "Chinese Slug" match that.

I don't need no stinking wedge, when I've got a teardrop to work with............

Guest my3buicks

I am not seeing that comparison guys, the Bentley is larger, their rear fender treatment is not unique, that has been done countless times(have you seen the new Impala?) The Rivs fenders protrude much more and the rear fender starts directly after the door.

the Bentley has rear quarter glass the Riv does not, the Riv is techy looking the Bentley is not. It's a stretch to see anything similar in those two cars except 4 wheels and tires.