Need to add R-12

Labrat

After doing a little searching It appears the low port is on the dryer/accumulator and the high port is up by the wipers. Yes/No?? Also I was surprised when I took it to a great local garage I was told it is illegal for them to add my legally purchased R-12 bought years ago to my legally owned car. Is this a great country or what for the classic car enthusiast?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Yes to repeat that's the high pressure port up by the wipers.

Not quite a true statement about the legality of adding R12. In order to comply with regulations them must do a leak check on the system and repair all leaks before the can install any.

You need to determine the status of your system before proceeding. What is the state of the current charge? If it is low, why is it low. It would be foolish to add any new R12 unless you know you don't have a leak. And most old systems are leaking somewhere. Compressor seals are very common areas for small leaks that get larger over time. That is the only moving parts and the seals will wear out over time. The Schrader valves and the pressure switch are other possibilities for small to large leaks. Large leaks can be from a puncture of the condenser, evaporator or other hose or pipe. A quick check of the pressure remaining can give an indication of what's going on. But a real evaluation would require evacuating any remaining freon and re-pressurizing with a test gas and determining what is leaking.

I completely rebuilt my AC system on my 89 Riviera including New Evaprator and Compressor. I stayed with R 12. The prices seem to be dropping on EBay. Cooling is excellent on hot humid days. Cools better than our newer cars with 134 especially when idling in traffic.

I have found oil spray from the compressor clutch so I'm thinking this is where the really slow leak is. It's been 7 years since any R12 was added. Any thoughts on rebuilding the compressor versus buying a new one. I'm staying with R12 as it is best and I still have 8 cans in the garage. Any recommendations related to the compressor would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Rebuilding a compressor is an inexpensive option, but it's only as good as the quality of the replacement seals and bearings, and the skill of the rebuilder. If anything isn't right, you have to do it all over again at your expense. Most of us would probably not choose this option. There was a recommended vendor Padgett and RichardD used that would be a good place to try to get a new compressor from. Think this is the place:

A/C Compressor | Evaporator | Fuel Pump | Condenser | Heater Core | Brake Pads

I used all AC Delco parts. The compressor has a Lifetime guarantee.

Can you share with me the part. number, cost and where you got the compressor. I just checked the site above from McReatta and the compressor they list for the Reatta is obviously wrong as it shows a single belt pulley. Can the work exchanging this compressor be done pretty easily on a lift working underneath? Thanks, Rick

Can you share with me the part. number, cost and where you got the compressor. I just checked the site above from McReatta and the compressor they list for the Reatta is obviously wrong as it shows a single belt pulley. Can the work exchanging this compressor be done pretty easily on a lift working underneath? Thanks, Rick

What are you expecting to find? If you've ever looked at your Reattas current compressor, you'd find that it's a single belt pulley design just like the one on the website that Mc_Reatta linked to.

Rick,

By far, the easiest way to get access to the compressor is to remove the radiator fan, radiator and the condenser. Gives you incredible access and the car doesn't have to be up on a lift. I've done it before from underneath and I'll never do it that way again if I can help it.

John F.

What are you expecting to find? If you've ever looked at your Reattas current compressor, you'd find that it's a single belt pulley design just like the one on the website that Mc_Reatta linked to.

My mistake, what I should have said is, it showed a single groove pulley. I went back to the site today and it showed the correct 6 groove pulley and a different compressor. Yes I did look at my setup and sorry if I ruffled your feathers that wasn't my intent at all. I appreciated your help but was thrown off when the web site showed me a incorrect compressor. Please accept my apology. Rick

Guest Mc_Reatta

You reach two of the retaining bolts from underneath. Rest of the work is easiest to do from the upper front with the radiator removed as previously recommended.

I've used ackits.com and E-bay. NEVER use a reman or used compressor; it'll come back and bite you.

Most of the new compressors on the market are chinese; I've bought many and never had a moments trouble out of them.

As others have posted, remove the fans and radiator for access.