Found Lexington cap for Buffalo wire wheels. Guess where I found it?

lump

I was visiting Nashville, TN, a week or so ago, attending a bluegrass music event with a buddy. He suggested that we might want to visit the antique shop belonging to the AMERICAN PICKERS TV show guys. It is located in the former Marathon Automobile Company factory, and I was interested to see the place.

Much to my surprise, the shop was tiny (maybe 50 feet by 75 feet or so?), but I was NOT surprised that it was jammed with visitors on a Saturday afternoon. You couldn't move in there! But more interesting was that a huge percentage of the items on display were antique car items and complete old motorcycles, and related parts and accessories.

As you would expect, most items were priced pretty high, but I soon spotted a cardboard box sitting on the floor, filled with 1920's era hub caps. Most price tags were gone, but one or two were marked at $30 each. It didn't seem to matter what the brand or condition (for example, there was one of those old aluminum threaded caps for an early Chevy WITHOUT the bowtie...obviously an aftermarket piece...priced the same as nice nicer hubcaps). But when I looked a little closer, I noticed that one of them was machined from heavy brass...a wire wheel hubcap! When I turned it over and wet my fingers to wipe off the dirt and dust, it was plainly for a Lexington motor car with Buffalo wire wheels. Cool, eh? :)

When I got it home and washed it in soap and water, I saw that it was for the right side of a "No. 5" Buffalo wire wheel-equipped car.

Lexingtonhubcap2_zpsd23f2a95.jpg

Pretty neat, eh? Does anyone have any idea if it is likely to be in much demand?

Lexingtonhubcap5_zpsa6e8fc3c.jpg

The spring and the locking pin move nicely, with plenty of spring tension too.

You know, I've got a modest radiator emblem collection, and one emblem which I have always wanted but not found is a good Lexington. (I prefer the enameled originals). I might need to just hang this ol' cap on a nail in the garage, near some of my emblems. It might be the only way I'll ever have one.

Lexingtonhubcap6_zpsaa7277d7.jpg

Lexingtonhubcap7_zpsa3edede6.jpg

More photos for you:

The Lexington was made in Indiana, in the late teens early 1920's. Billy Durant bought the plant and used the Lexington as the prototype for his Durant Model B 6cylinder. At the recent Durant Motors Automobile Club National Meet in Traverse City, Michigan in September there was a Lexington coupe there. A real nice car. It changes ownership at the meet and is owned by a Canadian Durant Motors Automobile Club Member. A fine sporty car for it's time.

I'd love to see a picture some time. This seems like a million years ago - early 1980's - I'd bought an entire radiator with shell & headlamps - the Lexington lights mounted to the side of the shell to remove an un-enameled emblem for my collection. I wound up trading the rest - which included the most ornate of "monogram" lenses to a gentleman from Canada who was restoring one. I still don't have the enameled version of the badge, but I do have a brass script which is impressive. If you look thru my images you will find them somewhere.

It just so happens that I have an original license/registration folder from the Philadelphia Lexington dealer. it is about 5"x6" laid open. I put my AACA card in for perspective. I will sell it for the same $30 plus $5 shipping if you want it but I'll be away for a few weeks so I can't answer PMs or email.post-66242-143141752584_thumb.jpg 856-287-0826

post-66242-143141752558_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...