Health issue not car related

john2dameron

I am on Medicare and have diabetes. I am looking for a dependable source of testing strips and am interested in hearing from others who have this problem. I would like to know where you get your strips and are you satisfied with the company you do business with. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Guest Oldengineer

Hello from a fellow West Virginian - also a Type 2 Diabetic. I'm old enough but I'm not on Medicare yet, so, I can't advise you on a good mail order source. I'm still using RiteAid to get mine. I don't take any medicine for it anymore. The doctor took me off the Meds about 10 years ago after I lost 80 pounds. I now control it strictly with diet and exercise - my exercise instructor currently is an 60 pound female Bearded Collie who wants to go on long walks every day.

Regards:

Oldengineer

Also look into the so-called "Paleolithic Diet" which I am aware of being hypoglycemic myself. I have never felt better than the months I was strictly adhering to it, tho I have allowed myself to stray during the holidays. Also, the simple act of spreading your meals out in many smaller ones throughout the day rather than a few large traditional meals helps because you don't get the blood sugar spikes and lows and you will also "reset" your metabolism by making your body work all day to digest food. To make this car related, think of the way you eat as how you drive, big meals are like punching the accelerator to the floor flat out several times on a drive, while enjoying smaller, more frequent meals, is more like keeping the pedal set right at the speed limit for the whole cruise.

If you do choose to follow any of the advice given in this thread please discuss it with your doctor before you begin a new or drastic change, we don't know your full medical history and what works for one person does not always work for another.

Edited by MarrsCars (see edit history)

My diabetes is pretty well controlled with meds; no insulin. For that I am grateful. Medicare pays 80% on teswting supplies; my supplement F pays the other 20%. However I quit doing business with one local druggist because she insisted I pay the 20% out of my pocket even tho all she had to do was bill Medicare and Medicare would bill Mutual of Omaha for the other 20%.

Took out a United Healthcare drug plan and they want me to buy all drugs from Optum Rx thru the mail. Optum Rx says they want to provide my testing supplies but I can't get them started and for that reason and problems getting meds after the doctor prescribes them makes me feel like dumping Optum Rx and going back to a local chain. I'm tired of them billing meds to my credit card and then telling me they are not available. So Optum Rx is also a PIA and I'm PO'd.

As a 70-year-young type-2 diabetic, I pulled off some weight, try to follow a healthier diet, and even try moderate excersize other than lifting a fork.

The result is that I'm no longer taking any diabetic medications and my numbers consistantly stay between 90-105.

I can live with that, and be around to enjoy this hobby and my family.

I truly wish that more of us would be able to control this insidious disease. Both of my parents, as well as at least two of my grandparents had to deal with type-1, or type-2 diabetes.