Another 58...Roadmaster!

Smartin

Guest 4bigben
Because I can't stand a dirty engine compartment!

What is your process for cleaning a Dirty Engine Compartment. Never did one before. i have a 1954 Buick Special 46r.

Thanks 4bigben.

It's pretty straight-forward, really.

Step 1 - Disassemble everything and bag/tag all nuts and bolts with proper location.

Step 2 - Clean and/or paint everything you can possibly get to in the engine compartment. Same goes for all parts that were removed during disassembly process.

Step 3 - Reassemble in reverse order.

I usually just take the engine down to the short block and have the heads rebuilt. I also have the radiator cleaned or recored, as well as the heater core.

Hey Adam,

I want to pick your memory about something.

I'm in the process of taking out both the front and rear windows on my Limited parts car which has the same trim as your Roadmaster (and your Limited). Sadly, the car has been sitting outside waaay too long (it was well past restoring) but I have the lower trim off due to rusted clips and can't figure out how to remove the top rear trim.

Any chance you have pictures when you did the Limited? or can talk me through the process?

I just do not want to destroy the trim by too much force. I have the corner moldings off also but.... can't figure how to do the rest.

Since you are the 58 Buick man, figured I'd ask.

Any help appreciated here.

Doug

BCA# 35039

post-36036-143141840863_thumb.jpg

THANKS ADAM!

I figured you would know. I don't have to worry about the headliner as a few critters have been in the old girl. I just need to take caution working inside (a hazmat suit would be in order). Fortunately I took the dash out a long time ago and it sits on a shelf over top of my other Limited nice and dry.

Does this follow the front windshield clips are held by bolts also?

Doug

BCA# 35039

Once again, Thanks for taking the time on this.

Guess I might have to start my own thread regarding my 58's and not hijack yours as I just got orders from City Hall (Mayor Wife that is) that "this car goes or "I" might have to!" So...... have been starting, between rain this weekend and taking lots of pictures.

I also have been truly inspired by your 58's over these past few years (way too easy though to sit and just read about the work - ha ha). I know I can't keep the pace you and a few others have made but.. will just get started and see how things go with a few questions here and there.

Doug

BCA# 35039

I have to wonder what people did to get the last (rear) pushrod out of the engine with it still in the car. I still have the vent cover on the drivers side and it hits before I can remove it. Did they unbolt the mounts and jack the engine up on its side a bit? Same thing with the rear most head bolt...

I got them out, but I pulled the head off and nearly ruined the pushrod in doing so.

Idiot move of the day: Do not try to beat the pulley off the power steering pump. The shaft will come out with it if you try hard enough. I now have a power steering doorstop.

Couple photos to follow...I just needed to come in from the garage and simmer after that bonehead move.

Ok, it looks like I might be able to save the pump, as long as I can find a C-clip that will hold the shaft in. When I initially pulled the pump apart, it just fell into pieces, and I was unsure of how to reassemble it. I think I have it now.

shaft.jpg

Generator, steering pump bracket, fan, and trans cooling line ends are done.

generator.jpg

Oh yeah, after I scratched my head about the pump shaft for a bit, I resumed cleanup on the pulley.

steering_pulley.jpg

Adam,

Glad you can save the pump!

I noticed the lid, are you planning on replacing the gasket? I have a car or two that unless you really reef on the bolt (not a good practice), fluid seeps down the pump and... that messy under the hood thing starts to show. Any suggestion on where to get that gasket or what to use?

Guest Rob McDonald

ADAM, you do not know the meaning of sloth mode. Look it up in the dictionary - it might include a picture of me. This comfortable old Roady never knew what was coming, when you took possession of it.

Guest Rob McDonald

ADAM, that would depend... On the one hand they might be a little ornate for under the hood or on the other, they're probably needed to keep the hot/cold cycles from loosening-off the manifold nuts. Not sure which ones you mean.

post-59990-143141876734_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141876735_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)