Another 58...Roadmaster!

Smartin

Guest Rob McDonald

The only reason is that 98% of us would forget all about it until we're plagued with manifold leaks. That doesn't apply to Adam, however. He's not like the rest of us.

Guest Rob McDonald

I dunno, I think the massive expansion-contraction at this point could still eventually loosen up lockwashers or worse, break the studs because there's no "give". Some production engineer at Buick probably grappled with the same decision and ended up choosing the more expensive locks à la Francais. Just sayin'

Who am I though to advise you, of all Buickisti, to slow down and do it right?!

Guest John Chapman

Hobart II?

Adam, Rob is correct. The French locks keep the nuts from working loose during thermal expansion cycles and engine vibrations (harmonics). If you check the manifold nut torque it's probably pretty low... on the order of 8-15 F/P. That's just enough to clamp the parts together, but not enough to put sufficient stress tension on the nut to keep it from working loose. If you tighten down enough to prevent the nut working off during operation (60-75 F/P) the manifold ears will likely be the first to fail during thermal expansion (cast iron is weaker than carbon steel), creating a whole 'nother problem.

Cheers,

JMC

Edited by John Chapman
Added blather... (see edit history)

The degreasing has begun. Ugh. Firewall paint is ordered. I have a few parts I need to get before I can reassemble.

degreasing.jpg

I got the heads back today...all ready for install!

heads_finished.jpg

Finished bits...

shelf_parts001.jpg

shelf_parts002.jpg

shelf_parts003.jpg

And, from post # 66

"hah! Not a chance, JD :)

The Limited was too far gone for me to just fix a few things and drive. If I could've, I would've. At least on the Roadmaster, I don't have to brush off the foam material from my back when I get out of the car...or pray the emergency brake would stop the car!<!-- google_ad_section_end --> "

LOL

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll try to remember to order them this week, and hopefully get them relatively soon. It was close to a month for my last order.

JD, I don't plan on going deeper than this with the Roadie. I'm glad I went this far now, so I could find the culprit of the steering play, heater core mess, radiator issue, etc etc etc.

Next on the list is the undercarriage.

I have located a rear upper bumper piece, since mine has a big ol' dent in it. I plan to have this one rechromed, and swap them once I get it back. The rear bumper should look much better afterwards.

Isn't it strange, so many vendors ship, SAME DAY, and others, well it's a guess when such will arrive.

Makes you wonder if they wait for an order before they buy from the maker.....

I buy wood veneer often, it is drop shipped, but I order one day, it is shipped the next. Needless to say some just get with the program, other are lost.

Dale in Indy

Well, I just looked for them on ebay, and CARS is selling them on there. They are an extra $0.25 on there, but it's worth it to me not to have to call them tomorrow...and probably forget about it for the next 3 days. "Expected" shipping time is pretty quick...so maybe the extra 25 cents was worth it.

I don't have one for your car, but you can get a rebuild kit from your L.A.P.S. like NAPA. It will come with replacement bolts and a new rubber joint. All you would need to do is grind out the old rivits (if it still has them) and replace them with the bolts from the kit. It's easy enough.

Wait 'til you hit 40.

i used to have to write down if I needed three things.

Now I need a list for two.

gulp...

Wait 'til you hit 60. You spend half a day looking for the list and the other half trying to remember what it was you wanted to put on it.

Looking good there Smartin, as always!!!

Wait 'til you hit 60. You spend half a day looking for the list and the other half trying to remember what it was you wanted to put on it.

Looking good there Smartin, as always!!!

What is this, one upping the previous guy? You young guys slay me! Now, why is this piece of paper in my pocket? Don't forget to come home!!! Home? Where is that???

Ben { I think}

Adam, you do good work. May have to come take lessons from you

Guest Rob McDonald

As for ageist bragging rights, I went for a hearing test this morning. Learned I have a severe loss in the higher frequencies, which includes women's voices. See ex-darlin', I wasn't just ignoring you.

Learned I have a severe loss in the higher frequencies, which includes women's voices.

That could be a good thing sometimes as I have spent the past two months around my wife, her sisters and Mother planning a wedding.

I swear it took less planning to restore my wagon.

The underside of the hood is finished...hinges are cleaned up. I did not install the latch yet, because of its incredible ability to become a spear to the back of my head when working in the engine compartment. That will be installed nearly last in this process.

hood_insulation001.jpg

hood_insulation002.jpg

As others have stated, you do great detail work and that hood looks really super (well.. Roadie).

Question: Does the insulation stay there by the rods only or do you have to glue it to the metal in the center with contact cement?

Oh and.. being over 6 ft tall, I can verify the latch issue!!!!!!

Firewall is painted. Ground strap is reinstalled. Steering box is installed...hopefully I figured out how to reconnect that copper band in there right. I have a feeling I'll be installing a jumper wire in there after I get everything else put together.

Time to start working on the black painted areas. This week will be pretty much a wash for car work, though. It will have to wait until the weekend...unless I get lucky at work. Yeah right..

firewall.jpg

Inner fenders and core support are painted black. It's nice to see some uniform color on this thing, finally!

I also installed the heater core and buttoned the interior up at the kick panel. Fuel pump is installed.

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to get the engine back together so I can paint and continue reassembly.

black001.jpg

black002.jpg

I just took it for a drive around the block. The steering is tight, now that the coupler is fixed. Slight stumble off idle...might end up going with the Lectric Limited points conversion later.

It idles really nice now...the exhaust leak is gone, so the engine just sits there and spins with no blatty noises. I love it.

I've been fighting the wiper motor all day. I found that the motor that was on the car is weak...and I had two other ones in the basement that had much more power. Still, the most powerful motor won't run the wipers with a dry windshield. The wiper blades are brand new, and the windshield is freshly Rain-X'ed...so it's as sleek as it can be. It doesn't want to run with water sprayed on it, but it will run slow with Windex being sprayed.

I lubed every fitting I could reach through the dash by taking out the glove box liner. The center pivot that the motor mounts to seems sloppy...not sure if there is a worn out bushing that needs replacement or not...could be a problem spot.

Gave up for the night...I guess I'll just have to make sure the windshield is nicely Rain-X'ed when I drive.

I was in a photo-taking mood today...got it out before the sun went down and buzzed around the block a couple times with it. Man, it runs great!

engine_finished007.jpg

engine_finished008.jpg

engine_finished009.jpg

evening001.jpg

evening002.jpg

evening003.jpg

evening004.jpg

evening005.jpg

evening006.jpg

I decided to repaint the black recessed areas in the rear insert area...turned out nice. It makes a huge difference.

inserts_painted001.jpg

inserts_painted002.jpg