i have some other issues to look at

hehe

About the "Roady" i think Adams progress is over now:D

Buick : Roadmaster 75 in Buick | eBay Motors

Good luck with your sale Adam

go ahead and continue to struggle with the Limited and show some results :D:D:D

Janne

Guest Kejsaren
I've thought about that...and will be doing a major photo session with it soon.

yeaaaa do that!!

then you can send me a big zip file with pictures to me (Trough "sprend" or "sendit"):o:o:o

• 1 month later...

I've made the decision that the Roadmaster will not be sold. I tentatively had a sale pending, but a recent turn of events has ended it.

I will move forward with detailing this car soon. I may wait until after Easter to do the engine compartment, since I want to take it to the Easter show...I don't think I can get it done before then. Maybe a good buff job on the paint to bring out the shine again...

• 2 weeks later...

First order of business was to get the dash lights to work. The courtesy lights all worked with some bulb replacement, but all of the gauge and accessory bulbs were inop. It felt to me like the headlight switch was bad. So, off came the top of the dashboard! While I have it off, I might as well give it a good scrub.

dash_pad001.jpg

This should give me plenty of working room to get the headlight switch out...

dash_pad002.jpg

So, I discovered that the rheostat on the switch was badly corroded. I proceeded to take it apart, only to find out that it had several tiny springs and parts that were retained by the metal plate that was screwed to the side. After 10 minutes of crawling on the floor, I found all the bits. Thankfully, I had just swept the floor.

All of the contact points were cleaned and the switch reassembled...it took a few tries to get the lid back on without the springs exploding apart like it did when I removed it. Oy.

Initial test revealed the switch cleaning did nothing. After further review, I found out that one of the contact points on the switch was not connecting properly. (thermo circuit breaker) ....I popped it back into place without having to remove the switch again, which is a pain in itself. Ok, now all of the dash lights work...they a bit on the dull side, though. At least I can see how fast I'm going at night, now.

All 4 original T3 headlights are in the car. Of course, one of the low beams decided to die on me shortly after I bought it. I replaced it today...polished up the chrome surrounds on that side, too.

headlights001.jpg

headlights002.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

ADAM, I've dangled this question in several threads, with no bites. What type of carpet do you think is installed in '57 Roadmasters and '58 Roadmaster 75s and Limiteds? It's a very soft cut pile, quite long, and it doesn't have the sparkle that nylon fibres do. I've called it Teddy Bear Fur but so far no one has picked up on that and said, "Aha, I know what that is!"

My '78 Cordoba had carpet something like this but the pile was even longer. You could really bury your toes in it. That and the lovely, soft metallic green Corinthian leather seats were the nicest things about an otherwise forgettable car.

ADAM, I've dangled this question in several threads, with no bites. What type of carpet do you think is installed in '57 Roadmasters and '58 Roadmaster 75s and Limiteds? It's a very soft cut pile, quite long, and it doesn't have the sparkle that nylon fibres do. I've called it Teddy Bear Fur but so far no one has picked up on that and said, "Aha, I know what that is!"

My '78 Cordoba had carpet something like this but the pile was even longer. You could really bury your toes in it. That and the lovely, soft metallic green Corinthian leather seats were the nicest things about an otherwise forgettable car.

All I know is that it's cut pile...I'm assuming it's just a soft nylon fiber, but I'm no expert. SMS was able to provide the correct blue carpet for my Limited. It was expensive, but it was perfect. The carpet in the Roadmaster is nice, but not perfect. It could use a quick dye job. I don't want to replace it for fear of losing the great fit of that original carpet.

Time to fix the dash pad!

I am going to have a friend of mine rebuild the foam behind the vinyl on the pad. He is the same one who did the door panels on the Limited.

It took about 20 minutes to get the pad out, since pretty much everything it touches has to come off first.:rolleyes:

After a good scrub, I slowly started to peel off the vinyl. It came off surprisingly easy. Really just came off without any fight.

post-31288-143141775051_thumb.jpg

post-31288-143141775055_thumb.jpg

post-31288-143141775057_thumb.jpg

post-31288-143141775059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)

hah! Not a chance, JD :)

The Limited was too far gone for me to just fix a few things and drive. If I could've, I would've. At least on the Roadmaster, I don't have to brush off the foam material from my back when I get out of the car...or pray the emergency brake would stop the car!

Ok, dash pad is off to Mr. Upholster to have the padding rebuilt. Meanwhile, I have redyed the top of the dash pad and repainted the trim pieces that frame it. I feel like I did a bunch more work than that, but now that I look back at it...that's all I have done:rolleyes: The pad should be finished before the Easter show on March 31. I guess I need to redye the small padded bits on the glove box and the face of the dash, too. "While I'm at it...." Redye the carpet black, paint the package shelf...

Doesn't look like the paint will get buffed before the show, though. I'll have to save that fun little project for later, along with the engine compartment and chassis detail.

pad_painted001.jpg

pad_painted002.jpg

pad_painted003.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

While I wait for the dash pad to get finished up, I pulled the carb off to ream it out. Good thing I did, because it was rough.

It's still not pretty, but the idle is better. #5 cylinder has a burned exhaust valve, so the idle isn't perfect, but it is tolerable for now until I pull the heads.

carb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

ADAM, how refreshing to see an engine compartment in its natural state. When's the hobby going to catch up with lazy guys like me, who realize the "patina" under the hood is just as important? Mind you, yours is a bit too clean. Mmm, I can practically smell the hot oil...

Major overheating issue. I am pretty sure the radiator is caked with crap. I worked for 2 hours today trying to flush it out...hopefully I got enough to be able to drive it 30 miles without having it get too hot tomorrow. As soon as it comes home after the show, I'm tearing the entire engine compartment down.

I installed new hoses, cap, and thermostat on it this afternoon. Advanced the timing a few degrees.

So I made a test run yesterday morning before the show, and of course it boiled over. I was going to do whatever I had to do to make it to the show, though. I went to Walmart (the only thing open at 7am on Easter Sunday) and bought some muriatic acid. I got home and removed the radiator in record time. There was only a few ounces of blood sacrificed to the knuckle gods.

50/50 mix of water/acid was added to the radiator. (this was after I shook many small pellets of rust and scale out of the top tank) I let it sit for 15 minutes...then shook the $#it out of it again. 15 more minutes...more agitating. After a few rounds of that, I dumped it and flushed for about 30 minutes while I continued to shake particles out of the top and bottom tanks. This thing was CLOGGED. When it overheated the second time, I put my hand on the radiator, and it was ice cold. DUH

After I reassembled, it was topped off again. Added some water wetter for fun. I crossed my fingers and got on the highway, since I had zero time to make any test runs. The gauge stayed at 1/3 the entire trip, until I got off the highway and stuck in show traffic. It crept up to just over half way, and stayed there.

I made it home just fine as well, but as soon as I pulled into the garage it started puking again. It was a reaaaaally long day. I didn't get home until 11pm, after my fiancee's family Easter dinner. They all loved the car, though :) I also had a crowd of people most of the time at the show...it was neat to have a car again!

The hood is up, ready for major surgery. The engine will be taken down to the short block and heads will be rebuilt. Radiator and heater core rebuilt. Everything detailed like it should be. I'm also going to fix the speedo cable that is causing it to read too high...and the damn speed minder to buzz at all speeds above 40 mph.

Oh great Buick Gods.........Please guide our Adam as he ventures, once again into the realm of restoration of another fine vehicle. Smite him when he wants to disassemble more than he can put back together in 1 months time. Cater to his wants and needs, but also remind him of the times of driving and enjoying as well as quality garage time. Oh great Buick Gods..............

Just kiddin' :cool: