Let's help get a Pre-War Buick back on the road and win this contest!

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Guest Texas Old Car Guy
Hi Fred,

Maybe I'm too rough on Buela. I just voted again, and apologized to Buela. She evidentally

does'nt like my double clutching and wants to climb the hill in third gear. To caress her, I've got my son in law (fresh up from San Angelo and Dallas) voting for her daily. He's a former Riviera owner and now has a 2001 LeSabre, so I guess he qualifys as a Buick man like I've been all my long life.

kaycee

Kaycee - keep the faith and she'll pull through! Thanks for tipping your son-in-law off on voting for her. I was trying to remember how many Buicks I've owned over the years - I remember my Dad buying a new 1960 Electra 225, then a 1964 Electra 225 (we called them the deuce and a quarter); in college I had a 1967 Buick GS400 (super fast car!!!), owned a 1973 Lesabre, and my son owns a 1986 Buick Grand National (now that's a rocket!! - he loves to run it on the strip and it pulls wheelies off the starting line); and of course I've owned Buela the Buick for 30 years so far. :rolleyes:

Hi Fred,

I and my son in law voted again today. My oldest car is a '27 Marmon Little 8, and I also have a'28 Pontiac that my late father and I bought in 1958. I've had probably 25 Buicks since my 1950 Super way back in 1959, a '40 that I bought along the way, many Rivieras,and currently a '85 Riviera with all the options on it and 45,000 miles. Although I'm older, I still own a Chevy, a 71 Corvette convertible. Like they say ,I'm car poor like many on these forums.

My father and I had a '24 Buick 6 opera coupe that was sold after he passed away,and we were always "old " car guys, so Buela has my attention. Good luck !

kaycee

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Yeah Kaycee - as the old saying goes, so many cars, so little time! :) My wife has always remarked that I keep bringing stray dogs home.

Thanks for your help, 7 days until the contest ends and we're still in second place - Buela needs some lovin'.

Fred

Hi Fred,

' Just voted again and am hoping that All the AACA members do the same. Are there any prizes given for the runner up cars? Again, good luck!

kaycee

Guest Texas Old Car Guy
Hi Fred,

' Just voted again and am hoping that All the AACA members do the same. Are there any prizes given for the runner up cars? Again, good luck!

kaycee

Kayee, according to the contest rules, only the first place winner gets anything ($10,000 cash). Strange, Buela was in 2nd place two days ago and fell back to 3rd yesterday; this morning a '51 GMC dump truck is now in first place (what's up with that? Who cares about a dump truck that the owner wants to replace the frame with a modern frame for a "more comfortable ride", replace the original six cylinder engine with a V-8 and an automatic transmission)? Sound like a resto-rod to me.:confused:

Keep pushing, six days until the contest ends!

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that they had a decent prize for the three upper winners, but I'm still voting and wo'nt give up. My son in law says that the GMC is "butt ugly"

and I not only agree, but am tired of seeing these guys build every old vehicle into a street rod, rat rod, or what ever they want to call them, insted of preserving history in a car, truck or whatever. Keep the faith!

kaycee

Guest Texas Old Car Guy
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that they had a decent prize for the three upper winners, but I'm still voting and wo'nt give up. My son in law says that the GMC is "butt ugly"

and I not only agree, but am tired of seeing these guys build every old vehicle into a street rod, rat rod, or what ever they want to call them, insted of preserving history in a car, truck or whatever. Keep the faith!

kaycee

Amen brother!

Have a Merry Christmas!

Fred

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Remember money can't buy happiness...but it can buy car parts and car parts make me REALLY happy!:P

Best wishes to all of my PRE-WAR BUICK buds!

Fred

Merry Christmas to you too Fred! I just voted again and will vote until it's over. Maybe miracles do happen and Buela can pull it out. If not, save your pennies and roll up your sleeves! It'll get done.

kaycee

Mike,

My son lives in Denver and I've been to Colorado once.Beautiful and better than Illinois by far! Fred: I just voted again and am hoping. I'm hoping for some Christmas miracle!

kaycee

Hi Fred,

So far my votes have'nt it done yet, but there's still the " saving your pennies and rolling up the shirt sleeves" option.Good luck!

kaycee

Guest Texas Old Car Guy
Hi Fred,

So far my votes have'nt it done yet, but there's still the " saving your pennies and rolling up the shirt sleeves" option.Good luck!

kaycee

Kaycee: I'm restoring the car whether I win the contest or not! Winning the prize money would just make it go faster.

Thanks for everyone's support - tomorrow, FRIDAY, Dec 28 is the last day to vote (contest ends at 11:59 pm Pacific Time). Give her one last push and maybe she'll cross the finish line :o.

She has fallen back into 4th place (was in 2nd for a while and 3rd most of the contest period). You are welcome to vote just one more day and maybe the effort will pay off. Part of the judging criteria includes how many comments are posted to their website so not only should you click the button "VOTE FOR THIS ENTRY" but then write a "review" saying whatever you want to say such as "great car, should be restored", or "One of only 3 left and should be saved." Be original and don't quote what I just said exactly - just say something in your own words (it's free and won't cost you anything).

Again, I really appreciate all my AACA and Pre-War Buick buddies.

I'll actually be relieved when the contest ends tomorrow night so I can get back to the "real world" and work on Buela rather than monitoring a computer. :rolleyes:

Fred

Edited by Texas Old Car Guy (see edit history)

Hi Fred,

My son in law and I voted again tonight, and will vote again tomorrow. Buela is 90 years old but not gone yet, and with your help will feel like a spring chicken in short order!

kaycee

Guest Texas Old Car Guy
Fred:

I just got my last vote in. I see that we are still well over 1000 votes behind the nasty GMC truck. Sorry but we fought the good fight.

Keep us in the loop on your progress and how we can help.

Larry

Larry: Thanks for all your help, I agree we have fought the good fight - when the dust settles and the voting period ends the contest committee will evaluate the top 20 entries based upon the following criteria:

40% based on the creativity of the entry writeup (limited to 500 characters - short paragraph)

40% based on relevance of the entry to the contest (fixing up an old car)

20% popular vote

It's like a presidential election where the candidate wins the popular vote but the electoral college decides the winner. I believe old Buela will still stand a good chance because of her scarcity (one of only three left) over some "butt ugly" COE dump truck that the guy wants to turn into a street rod. :P

They are supposed to notify the winner within 30 days....we will see. Anyhow, Buela is being restored as we speak so one of these days I'll post some progress photos on this forum. You asked "how we can help" - all Pre-War Buick guys might keep their eyes open whether it's attending swap meets, seeing ads on Craigs List, or wherever, if you find a good to excellent passenger side rear fender for a '22 Buick Roadster, give me a heads-up. I've been looking for one for 30 years with no luck. As it currently stands, I am going to have to have one fabricated using the NOS driver's side rear fender I bought at Hershey many years ago. They are out there, it's just that the vendor/seller doesn't know what he has or what it fits. I have advertised on this forum as well as in Hemmings Motor News looking for one to no avail. After the holidays are over and things settle down, I think I'll post a wanted ad with a photo of my NOS one and the bolt hole dimensions to help identify the exact fender I need.

Again, thanks to all my AACA friends for their help - Buela received 1016 AACA votes!

Fred

post-66120-143139314635_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Texas Old Car Guy

UPDATE: Thanks to all my AACA buddies for voting (1029 AACA votes for Buela in the Liquid Wrench contest) - she finished in fourth place nationwide out of 398 entries however the contest committee took the top 20 finalists and selected the sixth highest vote getter to receive the $10,000 grand prize. And the winner is . . . drum roll . . . a 1967 Volkswagen! Good thing they wanted to save a rare car instead of my 1922 Buick Roadster - 7,666 produced 90 years ago and one of only three left. :(

No sour grapes here, just disappointed that not only did we not win but they never so much as sent out an email to notify the finalists who actually won. The winner was announced two weeks ago and I found out by accident doing a Google search this morning.

Here's a link to the "rare" car that won (1,500,000 produced and probably 400,000 left):

http://www.tinkernation.com/ride-easy-2/ride-easy-grand-prize-winner-sheri-lucy/

Again, I really do appreciate your support and I'll keep you posted as Buela's restoration progresses.

Fred

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Well, I voted many times so I am disappointed as well! But good showing anyhow.

I suspect that marketing was a far bigger driver on the final choice than anything else. Since I assume that Liquid Wrench is going to use this in advertising I expect that the final choice was likely selected to appeal to a certain demographic, like the coveted 18 - 35 group. And that group would probably think a 67 Bug is a lot "cooler" than a 22 Buick! But what the heck do they know, anyhow? Youngsters!! :D

Cheers, Dave

Fred,

It seems like all the "made in USA stuff" is landing up out of the country, but a lot of AACA folks helped Buela go a long way in the ? contest. Keep double clutching , saving pennies or Euros, and the your shirt sleeves up! Good luck and please keep us posted.

kaycee