1924 information

tcslr

There is a 1924 touring ( model 45?) coming up for sale. can you tell me:

reasonable value ( seems more like a driver )

which model? is the color proper? what to look for? what to avoid? Haven't even seen the car yet. Did 1924 have electric starts?

Thaanks in advance, Tom

post-72842-143139239649_thumb.png

post-72842-143139239652_thumb.png

post-72842-143139239653_thumb.png

post-72842-143139239655_thumb.png

post-72842-143139239656_thumb.png

post-72842-143139239657_thumb.png

post-72842-143139239659_thumb.png

Hi Tom, just a couple things. The updraft carb has been removed, the manifold flipped over with a downdraft carb installed. Not an uncommon modification when people had problems with vacumm tanks and updraft carbs. Yes, they do have electric starters. Your pictures do not enlarge so it is not easy to get a clear look at them for more detail. I think you might want to get more pictures so that forum members can get a better idea of the condition. Certainly looks like a nice car. What are they asking for it? Leon

Tom:.

The 1924-45 was available only in black. Can't tell any more since we can't open an enlarge the photos. 2 years ago there was a 24-45 in like condition at auction, Millersburg Pa. I dropped out at $16,500 and it sold for $18,000. The purchacer said he has already put in annother $5K and at last contact it was still not on the road.

Larry

Is this a McLaughlin? I see the dash clock, windwings and dual spares is why I ask. Model 45's did not have a clock, wings or duals. Unimog John, where are you? (John has a '23 McLaughlin) Or is this a 55? Did they even have a 55 is 1924? My knowledge is 1923 and a few years prior. Sorry.

One comment about 1924's in general (all good): First year for 4 wheel brakes. All new and improved engine design.

From what I can see it looks great but then again, at what price?

Yes it is a model 45, the 55 had a built in trunk rack and 128" wheel base. The 45 had the 120" wheel base. It has a combined starter/ generator.

48,912 were built for domestic sales, 1,561 for export. it was Buicks most popular model. It had a new engine of 255 cubic inch and a removable cylinder head.

Actually, the car is up for auction. My brother-in-law is the auctioneer so his wife contacted me. I'll try to get better pictures but not sure.

The rumor is the family ( estate sale) was hoping for about 30ish - that seemed high to me.

I think I am interested because it is 1) Buick 2) in ( I think) good running condition 3) more a driver as I like driving the old cars.

What I'd like to learn is as much a spossible to be able to be a educated buyer.

How to start it - hope that doesn't sound dumb - but it is older than my experience. What to look for or rather what to be wary of. How much horsepower? what is it like to drive?

should this car have had dual tail lights? seems no to me.

Anyway, my sincere thanks to all the comments.

Tom

Tom:

Please try to get some photos that open. When I was searching for "a driver Buick" I found a few downdraft conversions. And even though the cars may have looked very nice. Some of the "jury rigging"may leave you with an expensive fix to be a good driver. The photos show some nice extras. Two tail lights are not original but better for people following. If they are set up as brake lights. I still haven't set up my 1925-25 for brake lights yet. My 25 starts easily and runs OK. 4 wheel brakes are a plus and are very good if they are set up and maintained. The reverse shift and double clutching took about an afternoon to master. This only works if you don't have a sticking clutch like mine. So my car still has some drivability issues. I have probably spent an additional $1,500 on parts and repairs (except for the radiator,with me doing all the work) but still is not what I would call a reliable driver. But after a year of working on it we seem to be making friends. 30K seems overly optimistic in this market. High quality accurate restorations can still bring good money. But driver quality cars with modifications go for much less.

I will would love to help with my experiences if you are close enough. I am in Chambersburg. There is another BCA member in our town with a 1924-45 but it is still along way to being on the road. BCA member Don Bowman in Williamsport MD. also has a model 45 with an older restoration.

Send a PM or e-mail if interested.

Larry DiBarry

I have a 24 Buick and I love driving it... I drove it from Vancouver WA to Bellevue for the Buick National Meet several years ago and was keeping up with traffic on the short parts of freeway we had to use... It does drive like a truck though and you will need some strength to turn it around (three point turns in neighborhoods). It has lots of power and is a heavy car. My buddy Rob should chime in here as he has one too (all original). Mine is a cut-down PU truck.

post-41092-14313924316_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143139243181_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143139243201_thumb.jpg

Tom, as others have said the pics are too small for me to give you some meaningful advice since I cannot see the details, and the devil is in the details. It looks good in pic, but what does it look like in real life. Does it run and drive well? It does look that it is a restored car that was set up to run on the road. Not a trailer queen. As others have said, they drive like a truck and you have to be prepared to give it your full attention. At least you have four wheel brakes, my 23 has only two and you really have to plan and anticipate stopping times and distances, those skinny tires don't help much either.

I really would want to look at the car to see what its wants are. For example, if it needs new tires, you will spend almost $2000 to get five on the car. Engine, clutch, and transmission work is expensive also. Some mechanical parts are available, but you will have to "look for" almost everything. So a complete car is a must.

If the current owner are thinking $30K plus then it must be a 400 point car or close to it. I don't see it in the pics. I am thinking $20 to 24K.

Is the interior in good shape and all in leather? Lots of cars were changed to vinyl over the years especially in the 60/70s restorations. The pleats in the seats look too large in width especially when compared to my 23. How is the top? At new top minus side curtains will set you back $6,000 or so. There are no kits for interiors, everything has to be made, to do just my rear seat and side panels was $2000.

Anyway, good luck on getting the car. Let us know what you decide. As Larry has said, he and I are reasonable close to you and could make a day trip to come up if you need us. I am in norther VA, about 60 miles west of DC.

Here are some pics of my 23 McLaughlin Buick just coming back from David Coco's shop (trimacar on this forum) two years ago.

post-48480-143139243287_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143139243304_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143139243574_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143139243592_thumb.jpg

Guest Rhinelander Rob

Tom, It's killing me that the pics cannot be enlarged. From what I can see the car looks like it was clearly set up to be someones daily driver. However it also appears to be better than a normal car. Sure the color is wrong, big deal. I know of a Green 24 that sold about two years ago for around $26K. So I would agree with Unimogjohn on his price range. The only other advice I can give you is that these cars are known for running fine. Heck, I saw Mark Shaw get his truck running on the lawn at a national meet in a day, Ha! I believe the six cyl engine is around 70hp. I like to drive mine at least once a week in the summer. Don't be too afraid to jump on this one, of course you will want to try and hear it run first. Good Luck, keep us posted!

Rob

post-32025-143139243991_thumb.jpg

Tom, Was just looking at the for sale ads in the current Buick Bugle. Here is one for comparison.

1923 Buick Model 44 Roadster (2 seat): Amazing automobile in phenomenal condition. Everything works and runs very well. Rebuilt engine, new tires, redone wheels, new top, running boards. Have original side curtains, extensive history. Repaint in 1949 $24,900. 509-925-2532, 733lee@fairpoint.net

Tom,

I had a 1926 Buick once, it was a good car and I liked it, very reliable but you say that the car is older than your experience so you should drive this car or a similar one to make sure it meets your expectations. If your experience is with much later cars you will find the Buick truck like as others have said and low geared. If you drive it too fast the engine will be over revving, I found mine would cruise comfortably at around 40 mph , after that the engine was working too fast. It would climb just about anything in top gear and slow down to a walking pace without the need to change down. But if you are used to later models it will be a lot different.

David

I am very grateful for the information. I am trying to get some other photos. I am also trying to get a time to really inspect the car, here it run, maybe test drive? Tom

Tom I see by your extended signature that you own a 32 Chevy and a 70 series Chrysler. Each of these cars represent an advance in technology and driveabilty over an early 20's Buick. But there is also a lot to be said for that 40MPH ride in a Buick with the top down. If I want to get there a little bit faster I always take my Chevy.

Just an up date on the 1924-45. I met with Tom Roberts at the auction for the car in western Pa. We had a great conversation. Quite a gentelman. The car is realy in nice condition. Definately not a # 1 but a well set up tour car with many modifications. Closer to a slightly degraded #2. The auctioneer listed it as STSA. (Subject To Sellers Approval. When the time to sell arrived he announced they would not accept less than $40,000! Needless to say there were no bids. So at this time it was not sold. I did make the seller an offer but don't believe he would consider it. ( I would still have to liquidate my car to buy it!) There was no statement about a reserve on the parts. But when they came up they also put a reserve on them. My thought was that they would offer the parts first to the buyer of the car. They later did sell all of the parts to another BCA member. Hooray! All I was able to buy was a distributor and a Complete Buick History Book. The family member indicated that if they couldn't get their price. He would buy it. Of course all the spare parts are now gone. Thank goodness to a member who can use them. At first when no one would bid at the reserve price the auctioneer said they will probably get that much for scrap!!! After my fiasco with the E-Bay 1925 standard parts that went to scrap because no one contacted them to pay I really was upset with the auctioneers attitude.

Such is life I guess.

Larry

I see the car is in Western PA. So is one of the finest people I know in the old car hobby, Skip Seaton, and, he is 'in the buisiness'.

Here's a link to his site, etc. Perhaps he can be of some assistance to you (and / or all of us).

I've toured with him and his family for 15 years including this past summer here in Michigan.

Skip's Restoration, LLC - Meet the Owner...Ira "Skip" Seaton

Keep us posted, and I agree with Rob, I klicked on those pix again and again trying to get them to open. Ha.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, looks great and lots of goodies too.

Hope it runs and drives as well as it looks but someone dropped some money to get this car to this condition. That rear windscreen is $1500 by itself.

Did the car sell at auction and if so what did it go for and what did the auction house get as a %?

Brian:

If you check back a few posts you will see that It did not sell. The "no less than $40,000" turned a lot of people off. Our impression from Tom Roberts original post was that the family was expecting around $30,000. Which from what I saw would be a reasonable high dollar figure. I gave the deceased owner's brother a near offer. Providing I could test it out first to my satisfaction. Also would have to sell both my 1925-25 and my 1937-41 if I could get it.

They did have a time getting it started. (sitting a while). The fellow who drove it 25 feet out of the garage looked truely terrified at trying to drive it. I could also understand somewhat of the auctioneers negativity after losing a nice commission from the no sale. I know our local auction house charges 30% plus 10% buyers premium on all their estate sales. I know there is usually a smaller % on big dollar items or real estate, sometimes 7-10%. So at $30,000 he could have made at least $2,100 for 10 min work.

When they reluctantly dropped the starting bid down to $20,000 (still stateing that they would not accept less than $40K) there was only one bidder.... Me. And the auctioneer even raised my own bid to $21,000! But still it was good to meet some fellow car guys. I did take some pictures as to how the brake switch was set up and how they did the tail/turn/brake lights.

Larry

Thanks Larry, sorry I missed that point.

I would agree a high $20ks car, maybe 30k if you really had to have it. Assuming it runs as well as it looks.

I call the 40k Barrett Jackson Disease. I can't watch that show and see what people are paying. I used to enjoy it years ago.

Its a narrow buyers market for the 1920s cars so I think time and lack of real buyers is on your side.

Any interesting history?

Thanks again for the clarification.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian:

I tried to get some information from the deceased's brother about the history on the car. But he was not interested in talking about it.

All that he told us was that his brother bought it in western Pa. during the late 1980s and paid $20,000 for it. And that someone offered $36,000 a couple of years ago. He told the BCA member who bought the parts that the brother bought them from someone in Buffalo NY for $5,000.

I always ask about a car's history. I realize that many could care less. I am still trying to get information about my 1925-25 as it's history dead ends to about 11 years ago. The person I bought it from said he shredded all his old paper work and did not remember. I know someone had to fix it up over 30 years ago. I will have to next check in the AACA archives for a possible former owner.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

It is a beautiful car, but I agree with others that it was way overpriced. Just be patient, and another more resonable one will come your way....

I think it is lots more fun to drive something that is not a perfect restoration. My cut-down pickup was a fraction of that price, so I don't worry about getting it dirty in the rain or getting chips or scratches in the paint.

And I am always proud to display my cars with bugs on the windshield.