Garage your car - Billion dollar storm coming .....

Trulyvintage

We are doing ok here in Chesapeake. All the usual spots flooded - downtown Norfolk, Portsmouth, some parts of Va Beach, etc. We have had three days steady rain. It hasn't been too bad actually, wind was around 35Mph most of the time but gusts up to 45-50 in places. We never lost power. Biggest worry is always the saturated ground. A good wind will bring trees down, and we've got plenty of them. There will be quite a mess of leaves, twigs and branches to clean up in the yard but all things considered, we've been through much worse. Is there anywhere in the country that's safe from some kind of disaster? At least with the hurricanes we get plenty of warning, and despite what we think of the weather-guessers under normal circumstances, times like this bring out the best in them. I note the storm gained intensity as it made it's way up to NY and vicinity. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the path. Be safe!

Terry

Here in Cincinnati we've already had wind gusts over 50 mph, and we're well over 500 miles from the storm center which only made landfall about 2 hours ago.

The human and financial tragedy of this storm is actually turning out to be worse than the most pessimistic forecasts predicted. Some of those mocking first few posts on this thread are pretty painful to read just about now.:(

Y'all just hang in there - stay in a safe location - sometimes the waiting is the most difficult part - we've been through so many of these here in New Orleans, and understand what you are going through.

In Winchester Virginia we had constant rain, and yesterday afternoon and night high winds....waiting for daylight to see if any trees down or house damage....power flickered numerous times, we live in a subdivision with underground utilities so if we lose power it's because the grid outside the area has a problem....we have shallow ditches along the roads in the subdivision, which NEVER have any water in them, but we had so much rain there was running water in them....the ground is saturated...we live on a hill so never flooding issues thank goodness...

New York City sure took a beating....

I agree too that Marty, that's great advice, the penny trick is very clever.......unless the looters take the penny!

Here we had three days of non-stop rain. Then it changed over to snow during the night and is still snowing. It is clinging to everything. So far **knock on wood** we have not lost power. Bill had been out shoveling paths for us in the 2" of snow that was there, more now, and heard limbs breaking in some of the trees. He said that a tree in our neighbor's yard lost a limb.

Stay safe everyone.

Noon on tue,,,temp 50d and climing,,Sun trying to peek out,,Rained hard all nite,,but no downpours !!

Supper time last nite was 40d,,so it went up with southern air,,,Most of the nite was 25-40mph wind/ghusts to maybee 50

I'm 50 mi inland from Portland ,old seaport,,Cheers,,Ben

Where I am in south central Maine, we did okay. Our power didn't even flicker which is amazing since it usually goes out at the drop of a hat. We had about 7 hours of high wind, from about 5:00PM Monday night to just after mid-night. I don't know how much rain we had because I brought in my rain gauge, but it rained pretty hard for several hours and we've had showers all day today. Our school district did not close but some to the south and west of us did due to downed trees blocking roads. All in all, we lucked out.