COMMON SCAM: If you receive a private message from a new member offering a part, make sure to thoroughly verify it. It’s your responsibility to ensure it’s not a scam. Report any suspicious users immediately. ×

1950 - 1958 Trunk mat material

progoofoff

[TABLE=width: 100%, align: center]

<TBODY>[TR]

[TD]<!-- Begin Description --> New from SMS. 4 yards x 54" cross stitch taupe w/black material for

`50 - `58 Roadmaster, Skylark and Limited - maybe others.

I ordered wrong series....you can save $75.

$225 or best offer plus shipping from 27107.

Actual postage within US.

[/TD]

[/TR]

</TBODY>[/TABLE]

post-30661-143139120093_thumb.jpg

Edited by progoofoff (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...
This is the marerial that was in the`55 Century Convertible. Also in two other `55 Centuries.

Bob

Nope, wrong stuff... the 66C uses the Roadmaster type material.

Look at group 15.222 listings and you will see the 46C and 66C have different numbers for the same panels. The trim remnants of my 66C was like the material you have for sale.

My 63 cars have the chain link material like your second picture.

Willie

Guest Rob McDonald

May I butt in here, on behalf of another of our correspondents? Fred Z is looking for trunk matting for his '57 Super. Did they use the same stuff as the Roadmasters? I'd happily snap up this yardage but, as I told Fred, Wifey (Voice Of Reason) would not understand dropping hundreds of dollars on trimming a car that hasn't rolled on its own power within the current century.

WILLIE, by "63", do you mean your 1963 cars or your model 63 Buicks, meaning '57 Supers?

Edited by Rob McDonald
clarity (see edit history)

May I butt in here, on behalf of another of our correspondents? Fred Z is looking for trunk matting for his '57 Super. Did they use the same stuff as the Roadmasters? I'd happily snap up this yardage but, as I told Fred, Wifey (Voice Of Reason) would not understand dropping hundreds of dollars on trimming a car that hasn't rolled on its own power within the current century.

WILLIE, by "63", do you mean your 1963 cars or your model 63 Buicks, meaning '57 Supers?

1955 model 63...the ad has a range of years, but Bob is doing a 1955 model 66C and all of mine are 1955, so I know nothing of other years.

Hi Guys

My 55 Century convertible had the brown chain link in it, there were pieces of it still in the trunk, so I put that back in it.

I have not checked the parts book yet, but I believe Willie. Does it give any description in the parts book? I went through all my literature and there is no mention describing the trunk material or fabric.

If this is the right stuff Bob you should just use it, I need it for a Super Convertible, but I am not there yet.

Steve

Bob

Nope, wrong stuff... the 66C uses the Roadmaster type material.

Look at group 15.222 listings and you will see the 46C and 66C have different numbers for the same panels. The trim remnants of my 66C was like the material you have for sale.

My 63 cars have the chain link material like your second picture.

Willie

Willie,

Nope, wrong group. The cloth is in 15.500. Parts book Jan, 1 1958. 1955 66C is not shown.

I`m with Steve on the pattern. I`m 99% sure it was the chain link. I`m looking for a picture before removing it.

I may flip a coin to decide which one to use.

Thanks guys,

Bob

Obviously, it is possible that the factory used whatever they had, since they were cranking out 55's as fast as they could. My Century conv had the upgraded fabric. I can only speak to that fact. It was under the trunk body mount washer, so I know that at least on my car, that is what it came with. I'm certainly not arguing, just observing...

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to send PM, wouldn't confirm sent.

Hi,

Wondered if you still have that trunk material for sale?

http://forums.aaca.org/f162/1955-roadmaster-trunk-carpet-336991.html

Shows the trunk of my 55 Roadmaster sedan. Generously measured 4.3 yards but pretty sure I can make it work with 4 as long as it's the right material.

Would you know what the center floor section backing is made of as mine is kind of soft/worn. Sides are glued to brown cardboard.

paulf31148@aol.com

Thanks,

Paul

Rob, the 57 Super is different. I am about the replace the trunk material in my 57 Super and have ordered a sample from SMS to compare to my existing original. If it wasn't partially deteriorated I would keep it original.

Bob: The first photo of your original post is an exact copy of the material used in the Roadmasters for 1957. That I am certain. Some came with a blueish thread, some with a taupe thread, some with a black thread, but all with a taupe background. What came in 55 or 56 I do not know. Furthermore, I have seen the Roadmasters and Limiteds for 1958 with this material as well.

Bob: The first photo of your original post is an exact copy of the material used in the Roadmasters for 1957. That I am certain. Some came with a blueish thread, some with a taupe thread, some with a black thread, but all with a taupe background. What came in 55 or 56 I do not know. Furthermore, I have seen the Roadmasters and Limiteds for 1958 with this material as well.

My 57 Roadmaster 75 has material like this but is all blue.

Guest Rob McDonald

Not to flog this perpetually, the ID tag on my '57 Roadmaster says that it was originally all white* with a blue interior. However, the waffle-type trunk carpet was beige-grey. Like Mike5563 (I think it was) said, Buick seems to have just lined the trunk compartments with whatever they had handy, as the cars streamed down the line and out the big door.

(* Starlight Blue Metallic was added later below the sweepspear, maybe at the dealership?)

News Flash: I get a kick out of some who think 1957 like as in 1975 or the entire eighties for that matter as they prepared everyone for the huge outsourcing and NAFTA programs to come. Ford, perhaps. Buick and Cadillac? Not even close. They had a predetermined trunk patterns, at least 3 of each for each model line. Did not deviate or just to put something in there and kicked the cars out. Again that started in the late seventies.

Now back to your regular scheduled programs ......

Not to flog this perpetually, the ID tag on my '57 Roadmaster says that it was originally all white* with a blue interior. However, the waffle-type trunk carpet was beige-grey. Like Mike5563 (I think it was) said, Buick seems to have just lined the trunk compartments with whatever they had handy, as the cars streamed down the line and out the big door.

(* Starlight Blue Metallic was added later below the sweepspear, maybe at the dealership?)