Buying American Antique Car From Canada

Four years ago I came back with a 1930 Pierce. No title, just a bill of sale. They asked where it was made, checked the motor number, and we went on our way after they took a coffee break around our open trailer. Nice bunch of guys at the border. No problems. I have a friend who towed his Pierce across the border with a rope behind his every day driver, also no problem. They are much more interested in how you paid for it and your own (person) papers. Good luck, Ed. PS, no duties due on an American car.

• 3 months later...

OK All,

I'm in a panic now and could use some advice. I purchased a car in Canada and plan to import it to the USA next month. It a 1968 English Daimler. Problem is the engine is a 1980 Chevy V8. The stock Hemi is long gone. I just got off the phone with EPA. They said NO car can be brought back without it being completely stock. That includes the motor. He said I cannot bring it back without a motor since that would not be stock.

Any ideas would greatly appreciated.

Doug

OK All,

I'm in a panic now and could use some advice. I purchased a car in Canada and plan to import it to the USA next month. It a 1968 English Daimler. Problem is the engine is a 1980 Chevy V8. The stock Hemi is long gone. I just got off the phone with EPA. They said NO car can be brought back without it being completely stock. That includes the motor. He said I cannot bring it back without a motor since that would not be stock.

Any ideas would greatly appreciated.

Doug

Doug,

Have you actually paid for the car in full?

Have you received the ownership documentaton yet ?

Was representation made by the Seller that the car was suitable for use on

public roads in the States ?

Vehicles manufactured or having final assembly in the States that are exported

are generally exempt for EPA requirements if imported back into the States

if they are not modified .....

Vehicles manufactured or having final assembly outside the States may

have to meet EPA and DOT Safety Standards before being registered

and licensed for operation on public roads.

If you are considering buying a vehicle for import, it is best to do your

homework before finalizing purchase ....

Regarding import, it is best to accept delivery on the US side of the border

in person, that way you know it can be brought in ...

Jim

Jim,

The seller did not misrepresent. This is my doing. I did read up ahead of time on the rules and saw that over 21 years was exempt from EPA. I did not read the part about engine must be original. Does that mean a frame can never be shipped/brought into the states?

Thanks

Guest bkazmer
Jim,

The seller did not misrepresent. This is my doing. I did read up ahead of time on the rules and saw that over 21 years was exempt from EPA. I did not read the part about engine must be original. Does that mean a frame can never be shipped/brought into the states?

Thanks

I think your issue is that this is not a vehicle that was ever certified to meet anybody's standards.

Jim,

Thanks

Doug,

I am not sure I follow you ....

Are you asking if a car frame can be imported into the States ?

I'm sure it can, but a car frame is not a vehicle, I imagine it

would be classified as ' auto parts '.

Regarding the vehicle purchase, if the intent was to import it

for use on public roadways, if that can't happen .....

it seems fair that that the purchase be nullified.

Jim

Guest Bob Call

Checker. You are probably screwed on importing the Daimler. Only gasoline light duty cars and truck manufactured prior to 1/1/68 are exempt from the clean air regulations of the EPA. To import you will have to prove that exect model car was certified for import. However being without the original engine it may not meet current EPA rules. In that case you might explore pulling the Chevy engine and importing the chassis as light duty automobile parts. The engine if pulled out of the car can be imported because it is an engine that has been emissions certified by the EPA. They may require that all the emissions control components be on the engine. Start by looking at this site Importing Vehicles and Engines into the U.S. | Transportation & Air Quality | US EPA

My guess is that this will be more agrevation than you will want to endure.

We imported a 1915 car from Canada within the last 3 years. No attempt whatsoever was made at the border crossing to determine if it even had an engine, much less if it was original. All the guards did was examine the serial number to be sure it matched the paper work. Your experience may vary.