!954 VW?

Guest Pitter

Guest Pitter

I saw this in a parking lot in Cali, Colombia today. I asked the owner (who was of course wearing a red shirt) what year it was. I thought he said it was a '54 but that doesn't seem right to me. Maybe he said '64 and I mis heard?

002-4.jpg

A Google search turned up a picture of a '59 VW Conv. "Turn Signal" lights were down by the bottom of the headlights, outboard of the headlights on the front fenders. This picture was in a Hemmings "Buyers Guide" article, 1954-60 models. I also found an unrestored (except for repaint in '73) 1954 VW Convertible. One of the many pictures of this car show "smooth" front fenders (no additional lights other than the fog lights added by the owner). The picture of the headlight lens shows the "park light" being behind the headlight lens, as a "glow" light of sorts.

Looks like a '64 to me . . . especially with the amber lens in the top-of-the-fender turn signals.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I saw this in a parking lot in Cali, Colombia today. I asked the owner (who was of course wearing a red shirt) what year it was. I thought he said it was a '54 but that doesn't seem right to me. Maybe he said '64 and I mis heard?

002-4.jpg

We really need a vin # because cars destined for the U.S. differ from Canadian, Australian, Europe, Africa, Asian, Mexican and South American. The car in the picture looks like it has 16" wheels and you see the red reflector on the top of the rear tail lamp? 1953 was the last year for that. Now here is a puzzle The front turn signal lamps on the car are the 58-to very very early production 1964 and are considered 58-63 type, but I knew a guy who had a 67 Mexican Beetle which had them and the body of his car was the 58-64 type, in other words mexico used the 58-64 body to the end of production of 1967. In Europe and many places in the world there would be no turn signals on front or rear fenders because they were still using semaphore indicators- they would be in a rectangular box just behind the door handle in the rear quarter panel on the vert model . You can tell this car has been messed with because the Euro type bumper blades of this vintage have no ( small type ) bumper guards. As I said before the vin # will tell you.

D.

This car appears to be a custom made of various years' parts. The seats and top in particular are from a much later car, I believe 1969 or newer. Also the color scheme is not made from 1954 original colors either ( 1954 bug colors ), although it echos the original late-1940s Karmann schemes. I also believe the radio antenna to be a mid-1960s item as well. The bumpers appear to be from a 1952 or earlier car (probably repro). However most importantly the body tub has no provision for semaphore turn signals (trafficators) on the body sides behind the door, which VW used until 1961, so the body has to be from 1961 or later.

Real 1954 Cabriolets look like this:

post-30638-143139104757_thumb.jpg

post-30638-143139104734_thumb.jpg

post-30638-143139104747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave@Moon
added semaphore photo from 1957 VW cabrio (see edit history)

...However most importantly the body tub has no provision for semaphore turn signals (trafficators) on the body sides behind the door, which VW used until 1961, so the body has to be from 1961 or later.

I agree that it appears to be a mish mash of parts. But the '56 oval window bug I had had turn signal lights down low by the headlights. You could see where the filler lead had shrunk where the hole for the semaphores were in earlier models. Maybe my car should have had semaphores, but by 1958 itnCalifornia (and probably other states) required lamp type turn signals. So your 1961 date for the body is, I think, a bit off.

I agree that it appears to be a mish mash of parts. But the '56 oval window bug I had had turn signal lights down low by the headlights. You could see where the filler lead had shrunk where the hole for the semaphores were in earlier models. Maybe my car should have had semaphores, but by 1958 itnCalifornia (and probably other states) required lamp type turn signals. So your 1961 date for the body is, I think, a bit off.

Googling about I've come up with some conflicting information regarding semaphores on Cabriolet models. Most sources say that they were replaced with true turn signals (in the U.S. only) in 1955 on all Beetles, but some still mention them on later Cabriolets. The last photo I linked of a green car is supposedly from a 1957 U.S. car.

I had two 1959's at one time. One had semaphores and one didn't.

Yes that would be correct.

Ply33quote;I agree that it appears to be a mish mash of parts. But the '56 oval window bug I had had turn signal lights down low by the headlights. You could see where the filler lead had shrunk where the hole for the semaphores were in earlier models. Maybe my car should have had semaphores, but by 1958 itnCalifornia (and probably other states) required lamp type turn signals. So your 1961 date for the body is, I think, a bit off.

The European cars didn't get the ft turn signals mounted on the lower fender because they used semaphores. South American and Mexican beetles are sometimes a conglomeration of old and new parts....from the factory. See my note on the 67 Mexican beetle.

As far as the antenna goes the double mount antenna started in the mid 50's to about 1962 and was superseded by the single mount until the new 67 which has a pre drilled hole from the factory in the Left "A" pillar. here are pictures of those types;

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/img/wwpn/ZVW5.jpg

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/img/wwpn/ZVW6.jpg

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/img/wwpn/ZVW7.jpg

Early body 50's and earlier used a double mount antenna which was in the middle of the windscreen, cowl to roof like this;

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/102/857bd0bfbd854b678edf9f990a13f64a/l.jpg

Dave, 1952 and earlier bumpers have a groove in the center and the inside of the groove is painted black or red; this Standard 111 has the red groove and has the 16" wheels;

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2011/08/11/11/18/1951_volkswagen_beetle-pic-5397419453401712396.jpeg

D.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I think I can almost make out a raised bead on the passenger's door just above the edge of the door panel, which would be another clue toward the car possibly being an actual '54 model.

The semaphores just aft of the doors, I am guessing, perhaps got filled in or covered over at some point (especially since there is a turn signal sitting on top of the front fender, which was probably added at the same time that the semaphores got deleted; I would not be surprised if the owner possibly abandoned the semaphores, since they were relatively fragile, and very difficult to find replacements for these days, or a rebuilder for same). The front turn signal on top of the fender also looks to me to be just slightly mislocated too far forward--which might be another clue...

As others have pointed out also, the "heart" tail lights are also most likely proper for a '54.

I can't tell from the picture if the outer door handle is the "spear" lever type, or a pushbutton type. A spear/lever type handle (which is visible in Dave@moon's semaphore close-up example) would be correct for a '54.

No arguments with any of the comments about the various items that appear to be modified also (seats, paint scheme, etc.); I was only trying to look at the basis car.

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)