1940 Oldsmobile 4 door convertible

AlexH

We have a 1940 4 door Olds convertible. I was looking for more information on what it is, i.e. series 90 phaeton? Also wanted to know where to start with a restoration. I know it's pretty rare, possible #26 of 50, but we do have a 1940 sedan that could help with parts, but really don't know where to begin. Anybody in particular that works on just these cars in the southeast? Thanks for any help...

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Only a year out this reply, but I hope this message finds you well and still enjoying your rare Oldsmobile. Anyway...

Beautiful car! Makes me seriously second guess my recent plans to sell mine. I have storage and other projects issues presently but that is worth building another garage for. However, I’m not sure I would want to get the restoration bill. 
  Here is one bad pic, but I will try to get some others up as I get it rolling again. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I admire you persistence and work you have put in so much time to save this great car.

I believe that Oldsmobile in this body style shared many panels etc with the Cadillac model 62 and The Buick Roadmaster.

The late Carlo Cola here on long island was a enthusiastic Oldsmobile collector he had a conv. sedan, and he and I talked often as I have a 1940 Buick model 71c convertible sedan .

I recall a 1940 Oldsmobile conv. sedan on the north side of Merrick Road not far from the Queens/Nassau County border 50 years ago for sale in a used car lot.

the G.M. 4 door convertible sedans of 1940-41 are indeed scarce , particularly the Oldsmobile and Buicks.  I did not realize this until I bought my Buick and tried to locate other owners of that body style to discuss information about the cars and the care that particular body style required.

My best wishes on your on going restoration.

Walt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Bob Petters,

You do know that Mike Fusick donated his "Body #1" 1940 Olds Phaeton to the RE Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing? If you ever need access to that car to help with your restoration that can easily be arranged.

Scott

1940OldsPhaeton.jpg.fa7bd596d184c50f87cf03b3b5663577.jpg1940Unload.jpg.0438207b79716884f98a6a6c675fd289.jpg

• 3 months later...

^^^ Carlo Cola ^^^
Walt G. ,

There is a name out of the past….

Real Nice Guy, Spoke to him at length, frequently during the Friday night Bellmore gatherings….
Bought parts from me frequently through the years, but we were friendly, besides…

Just sent a prayer to him up in heaven…. Thanks for bringing up his name….

Best to you, too, Walt….. Craig…..

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

To WALT G:
My father was Carlo Cola. That Conv sedan on Merrick Rd was a '41. Dad didn't buy it. It went to Bob Helstrom and then a man in Michigan. Between the both of them, it was restored and I saw it for sale a few years back.
Below is a picture of the car on the lot on Merrick Rd (near the Lynbrook line next to SK Speed Shop). 
we saw it every time we went to the Diner across the street. Dad said "That one is too far gone". He regretted it later! I still have his 41 Phaeton.

Phaeton on lot.jpg

• Like 1