Help What is this Bakelite Switch

Guest cobracomfg

It is not a lighter it does not pull out or rotate it pushes in only. Help....

I'm a little confused. If it pushes in, then it must also pull out, right? What I'm getting at is that it would be a simple off-on switch if that were the case. Is there a light bulb inside? I don't think that it's bakelite, but I'm no expert on that. It seems to me that bakelite is always a solid color. I'm thinking that it's likely it's Catalin plastic.

It may be a spring return type switch- push in to turn the controlled component either on or off and the spring will pop it back out.

Agreed that it looks more like Catalin, but you see that more on 30s-40s radios and costume jewelry than automotive stuff.

I respect your thoughts on the switch. Off hand, the only push in switch of that nature that I can recall is used on electric pop-up gas caps. I'm sure that there are others, though.

Guest Bob Call

I recall seeing switches of this type back in the late 40's and early 50's. They were for aftermarket accessories. Many were lighted to remind you to turn them off when you shut down the engine and not run down the battery.

It is a momentary contact switch. This one looks to be an aftermarket that could be connected to a horn relay, gas cap, trunk/ hood release, etc.

It clamps to the bottom of the dash ( for the ground ) and was designed only for low current applications.

Guest prs519

Thanks 28 Chrysler for bringing this to a close! It was getting the best of us until you switched things around! HO!

It is an accessory switch. The screw was to clamp it to the bottom of the instrument panel. If it is an on - off switch it may be for a fog light , backup light, truck clearance lights or similar. If it is a rheostat or 2 speed switch it may be for a heater blower. Auto parts stores used to sell them and maybe still do, you can use them for many different purposes.