Copper Plating Help

Guest Mochet

Guest Mochet

Does anyone know of an understanding plater who would acid-copper plate some pitted headlamp rims? I'd like to do the tedious smoothing and buffing myself to save money, and then get them nickel plated.

Phil

It may take more than one round of copper plating to get the results that you need. Each layer of plating is polished before the next is applied. The problem is that you may not have the level of expertise required to get the layers to the the point where they can be replated . You are asking the plater to be responsible for a final outcome but not letting him be sure the required steps are done correctly. You may find it more costly if the plater has to refinish your work. Good luck with your project, you will learn alot from it if you do find a plater that will do it. Terry

Guest Mochet

I understand, Terry. These rims were rust-pitted, and then copper and brass plated many years ago. I lightly media blasted them, then did some "fill and smoothing" with tin butter (the powdered tin/flux mixture used in body lead work). They look better now, but I'm thinking a thick copper coat would help with final smoothing. I got a quote for $400 for the complete job, but trying to spend less! My other (simpler) option is to paint the rims black to match the lamp housings.

Photos show rims as they appear now.

Phil

post-54178-143139064555_thumb.jpg

post-54178-143139064577_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Mochet

To supply an end to my plating project: I sent my pitted headlamp rims to a well-known plater who had quoted $40 each for nickel plating. After a couple weeks, they got back to me. It turned out they wanted $200 each for the job. To their credit, they did return the rims at no charge to me. I then sent them to my usual plater, Courtesy Metal Polishing in Villa Park, IL. I sent them the same photos as the first plater. About two weeks passed, and I got them back. The total cost, including postage and nickel plating two thumb screws: $115; exactly as they had originally quoted. They look very good, especially considering one was rusted right through.

Phil

post-54178-143139102073_thumb.jpg

I saw a product out of Europe (Finland? maybe) in a Jay Leno clip, it like a silver mirroring. You epoxy fill all your hole then spray on several layers of the product and replace the chrome with a mirror finish product and clear coat it . I could not tell the difference. the kit were price 3K as I recall. But I saw a before and after and it Show quality, assume it hold up to the weather and elements.