1938 heater core replacement

Pete Phillips

Working on a 1938 Special with factory-equipped Buick heater below the dashboard, mounted on inside firewall, passenger side. The core is so badly rusted as to be unrepairable. Local radiator shop says early 1950s Chevrolet pickup truck heater cores are virtually the same and I should look for one of those. Am told that it will cost $400 or more to make a new one or re-core this one. Does anyone have any suggestions/sources/interchange information?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx.

Pete, I had mine re-cored at Classic Heaters for antique and classic cars and trucks they did a good job on the work, service was good, communication was good. I don't think they were any more than $400, but if they were less I don't recall it being much less. Sorry can't be much more help than to validate the cost range is reasonable.

Guest Grant Magrath

This probably won't help, but our 38 had a British Clayton heater fitted to it. We bought a factory heater with a shot core on eBay and used the Clayton core in the Buick heater. Whilst the tubes through the firewall were different to the factory core, since the Clayton was already installed, it fitted with no modifications. I'd be surprised if the core in your heater didn't interchange with another Harrison heater. Maybe another more common GM one?

Cheers

Grant

Pete: Iwas just at a car show last Saturday and worked the parking and traffic brigade for our local AACA region. There was a guy with a 47 Chevy sedan and he had two chevy truck heater cores he was trying to sell. I am trying to get his contact information and will send to you if successful.

Joe , BCA 33493

Pete:

Don't know if mine will need replacing in my 1937 Special. The resto shop had only done the radiator. No verdict on the heater core yet. If the contact on the Chevy truck comes thru I could take the other if compatable.

"Of course it should be good. The thing put out great heat when I drove it home!" In Feb 1987!!!!

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Pete: I contacted the person running the Wounded Warrior Car show we had last month. She checked through all the registered cars and could not find anyone entering a 1947 Chevrolet so he must have showed up on the day of the show.

If I see him again I will get his telephone number and inquire about the Chevy truck heater cores and heater assemblies he was selling.

Joe, BCA 33493

Pete,

Try this fellow

Rodger Kaster(bkaster0405@bell.net)

He restores these heater units and tends to have a good stock of Buick units from around the mid to late 30"s.

I purchased a fully restored correct Buick Master heater unit for my 1936 Century. The restoration was of excellent quality, repaint, new bolts, new wire and excellent core and motor. It cost $416 which included something like $100 postage ( can't remember for sure but just about everything costs $100 to post to Australia now it seems).

I think Rodger only does this as a hobby but his restored unit was cheaper than if I could source one on ebay and then restore it myself.

Give him a try, it was about 18 months ago I got mine so hopefully he is still restoring them.

Pete, make a sketch and add the dimensions........ surely someone on this site will

have something on the shelf that will replace the bad one. The IN and OUT fitting may be critical dimension unless you want to rework the firewall.