Radiator Stollen.

Dandy Dave

I noticed that a radiator was stolen from my yard in the past week. It was from the 1940 Caterpillar Model 12 road grader that is in the photo posted. I know it is a long shot, but I am offering a $200 reward for it's return. PM me if anyone hears anything. Here is a photo of it when it was still on the machine. Thanks, Dandy Dave

post-44142-143138974089_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

I had a rare Diamond T radiator swiped last year. Call the cops and get a case # .Take a photo of the radiator (or one like it) to the metal scrappers within a wide radius so they know you are looking. If the crooks are smart they will sawzall the copper out and throw away the tanks, so you might be looking for pieces of the core with cat yellow on them.

I hope the next time they come looking for copper you give them lead!

Cheers,Pat

While owner of a True Value hardware store, people kept filling my dumpster with their trash, and people would dumpster dive. Well, I would box up trash, write a persons name on it, set it out by the walk-tru door like I was expecting that person to pick it up, well, withing minutes I would hear a car/truck stop and STEAL it. We had a PEEP hole in the door, so we could see them pick it up and hurry off.

Sure hope they enjoyed our garbage.

Lots of dishonest people, sorry to say. Hope you find it or the person that took it.

Dale Smith in Indy

I had the local Sheriffs Department here today and filed a report. Will call some of my scrap yard buddies in the morning to be on the lookout. I do have photos of the radiator on the road grader as pictured above, and have made copys for the Sherriffs Dept. The radiator must weigh around 200 to 300 LBS as when I removed it from the machine to do some repairs I had to use my backhoe as it was much too heavy to move alone. It was leaning against my barn. Thanks everyone. Dandy Dave!

While owner of a True Value hardware store, people kept filling my dumpster with their trash, and people would dumpster dive. Well, I would box up trash, write a persons name on it, set it out by the walk-tru door like I was expecting that person to pick it up, well, withing minutes I would hear a car/truck stop and STEAL it. We had a PEEP hole in the door, so we could see them pick it up and hurry off.

Lots of dishonest people, sorry to say. Hope you find it or the person that took it.

Dale Smith in Indy

I do something similiar with the junk mail. I fill any postage paid envelopes with the junk mail from others then send it back on thier dime!

When I hear about these scrap thefts (not that you rad was scrap) and stupid people get electrocuted, I just think of that as a bit of chlorine in the gene pool. Hopefully the rad will be found intact and the thief will be found laying under it with a surprised look on his face.

So what are you going to do if you cant recover it ? Can you buy, make radiators for those Cats ?

Finding the Cast Iron top tank, sides, and bottom will be the hardest parts to locate. It could be re-cored with those parts, but it will be very expensive. Guessing at upwards to $2,500 to re-core with the main coolant core, and oil cooler core. This machine is # 17 of only 56 Gas Powerd Model 12's built. There are only 2 or 3 left that we know of. Dandy Dave!

If all else fails, Dave, I have a good Allis Chalmers HD14 radiator here still, and the Radiator shell and grille are here too. There is also a new oil radiator of which two were used in the medium M3 tanks, one for the transmission and one for the Wright Whirlwind R975 radial engine. All this would at least enable you to grade your drive and continue a bit of contracting; while to drive it to meets might be the best way to find a correct one. ( This is often the case.) Remember, "In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is King". You are welcome to this if it helps. Come to think of it, Phillip Asdown has ( I think ) three very early Cat D8s, of which one is the earliest known surviving D8 and one of the first few built. The one that he has greatest attachment for is that one, and he has recently obtained the original multiple drum logging winch when my father's family timber company owned and worked it until sometime in the 1950s. His father and my father were friends. If you give him dimensions he may be able to help, or know whereabouts, because that is the sort of gear he is interested in. You will be able to speak to him on 61-3-5160 1209, but check our time zones because the best time to catch him is evening here, or his wife Shirley can tell you when to ring back.

Thanks for the offer Ivan. The machine is apart at this time and I have been gathering parts to put it back together as it broke a differential gear case a while ago. I have a replacement case and have had the starter and generator rebuilt last year. Also purchased paint, and a new set of front tires and rims at an auction a while back. Like all this old stuff, it is a labor of love. Loosing this Radiator is a real kick in the nutz..... I really hurts my heart. There are only about 3 of this model know to exsist. I think the Diesel version radiator will interchange. I have posted a reward in the local papers and also in some other publications for it's return. Maybe something will come up. Will keep looking on this side of the pond for now. Dandy Dave!

D.D., with something that heavy some sort of "tire" tracks had to be left behind. Did the police do any castings of what was found to try to indentify what type of vehicle might have been used to haul the radiator away? Were any footprints found?

Dale Smith in Indy

My ex wife's aunt in New York did something similar during the great garbage strike. A couple of times a week she would wrap her garbage in a box with birthday wrapping paper. Then when she arrived at her destination she would take the box out and set it on the roof of the car while she pretended to fumble with other things. Then she would "forget" the box and go to her destination. It was always gone when she returned to her car.

D.D., with something that heavy some sort of "tire" tracks had to be left behind. Did the police do any castings of what was found to try to indentify what type of vehicle might have been used to haul the radiator away? Were any footprints found?

No foot prints. The ground was hard around where the radator was standing. I have been moving around the yard so much that I may have covered them before I actually noticed it missing. I'm certian it was there on Sunday the 13th as I was working on my lawn mower right next to it. It has since rained. Dandy Dave!