1952 Pontiac Catalina

Guest GaWajn

Guest GaWajn

I got a call from my engine rebuilder's shop today. I was told the carburetor is restored and ready to go. His take on it was that the carb was in very good condition. It was extremely dirty though ... probably never been done. The bushings were all good etc ... his opinion was the carb is off a low mileage car. That supports my theory that this car is an original 67,000 mile car.

He used an untrasonic tank cleaning system to get the carb clean ... sourced a new kit ... and restored the unit. The cost ... $200. Not too bad I think. I will have pictures when I go pick it up in a few ...

Running total = $7377

I spoke to him about the heat riser valve in the manifold. He told me to cut it out, since it was seized, and make sure that the shaft holes are air tight, and I should be good to go. He adjusted the choke for summer driving only, which is what this car will be doing 100% of the time ... so that is fine by me.

Edited by GaWajn (see edit history)

Guest Al Brass

Some oxy-aceteylene heat will free that heat valve and parts, like the springs are available for other vehicles. It wouldn't be that difficult to fix.

Al

• 2 months later...
Guest GaWajn

I got some free cabinetry from a local shop that was remodeling ...

Shop-01_zps2630b0cf.jpg

Installed them in my shop ... it cleaned up the place nicely ...

ShopFinished_zps1728ce24.jpg

I sold my 3HP compressor and I am on the lookout for a 5 to 7.5 HP unit. I need that to be able to run my blasting cabinet inside my shop ...

DSCF1709_zps84ff1550.jpg

... that's a picture of the unit I sold. It was a good unit ... but not enough CFM for my purposes ... I want to get a used compressor because the new ones are well over $2000 in my area, and I want to spend more money on the restoration ... and less on a compressor ...

Guest GaWajn

You are correct Landman ... I can't find anything anymore ... and just when I start to know where everything is ... it will time for another makeover ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GaWajn

Finaly got the compressor in the shop ...

DSCF1720-2_zps8ebb958a.jpg

... now the wiring ... and piping ... then I will be set to go ...

It is a rebuilt 7.5 HP four cylinder two stage ... 32 CFM at 125PSI, 600 RPM, with a new Leeson electric motor ... If this is not enough to run my blasting needs ... I give up;)

Guest GaWajn

What!!! I need an airbrush now too??? ... :rolleyes:

... got the piping done tonight ...

DSCF1721_zpsd66f2a06.jpg

... I wanted to get at least 50 feet of hard pipe, to help the water vapor condense before it gets to the water trap. Since I have a smallish shop ... I made some pipe zig/zags ... kind of like a radiator without the cooling fins ...

DSCF1724_zpsc0c67520.jpg

Hopefully, most of the condensed water will gravitate back to the tank ... which I plan to drain daily ...

DSCF1723_zpsbd73543b.jpg

I have 2 air circuits ... A filter/water trap and a regulator on the main line ... the first leg will supply the basting ... tire filling etc ... the second leg has an oiler in it to supply oil for the air tools ...

... tomorrow the wiring ...

Guest GaWajn

Wiring done ... everything works as planned ... so far ...

I learned something about wiring a compressor yesterday ... a lot of electricians have no clue how to go about wiring a compressor to correct specs. I asked four different electricians how they were going to do the job ... and got four different answers. That got me to thinking ... the compressor place just had a chart and didn't know much more ... or any reasoning why things were done they way they were. So I read up on the subject ...

Seems like they correct way (as per the code book) to size the wire for an electric motor on a compressor (more than 1 HP), is to consult a chart in the code book to find the amperage needs of the motor based on horse power. The code says not to use the rating on the data plate because the motor might be replaced with another unit in the future and the wiring needs to be safe for any 7.5 HP motor. The chart states that for a 7.5 HP motor ... the running amperage is 40 Amps. Multiply that number by 1.25 and you get 50 amps. That is the amperage that you have to allow for ... in this case ... it translates to 6 gauge wire. Good enough ... that makes perfect sense to me ...

Now for the breaker ... that is what had me confused. The compressor place said I needed a 100 amp breaker ... as per their chart. That didn't sound right to me. I did a little checking, and it seems that for the motors to be CSA approved (Canadian code), they have to have the protection built in. I assume that it is a similar situation in the USA. In this case ... there is a rule in the code that states that you need to size the breaker ... not to protect the wire ... but so that the unit will start. The formula for the maximum breaker allowed is running amps (40 amps from the chart) times 250% ... that gives us 100 amps ... max .. for the breaker. Seems that the breaker is there just as a ground fault/short circuit protection.

Don't shoot me ... I am just the messenger. It sounded weird to me at the start ... but after checking with multiple sources ... it seems like that is the way to do it. You don't need an 100 amp breaker ... but you are allowed up to 100 amps for the breaker. We have some pretty cold weather up here in the winter, so starting amperage might be a little higher in the winter months compared to someone in the southern parts of the continent. I chose a 70 dual pole breaker because a friend of mine is using that rating with his 7.5 HP unit and has had to problems with tripping the breaker. It works just fine now. We will see if I have problems in the winter ... if I do ... I just need to upsize the breaker ... up to the allowed maximum of 100 amps.

I just thought I would share my findings ...

Guest GaWajn

OK ... enough about shop stuff ... back to work!

I will be starting the restoration of sheet metal parts that just need to be cleaned and painted.

DSCF1726_zps400cf0f6.jpg

This is the subject this morning ... the radiator shroud. Here you see it in the condition it came off the car.

DSCF1727_zpsfa13a610.jpg

... here you see the part after it was glass beaded in the cabinet.

DSCF1728_zps41c41877.jpg

... this is the stuff I use for rust converting. Supposedly ... it transforms the remaining rust to a black primer like substance. After 24 hours of drying time ... it can be worked with filler, primer ... in other words ... normal body work can be done to the piece.

DSCF1729_zpsb201859f.jpg

DSCF1731_zps6ab09b25.jpg

DSCF1732_zpsc16031c3.jpg

DSCF1730_zps9d430592.jpg

... as you can see ... some pits are turning black ... in fact ... converting the remaining rust, which was not too visible after the glass beading. Tomorrow ... I will be applying an etching primer surfacer. This is like ... sprayable putty. It works like an extreme high build primer, and it has etching properties to grab onto the metal ...

I do not propose that my methods are the only or best methods to use ... it is the method mostly recommended by my body shop supplies shop. I am using Sherwin Williams products. I will not get into a debate on which company makes better products ... I am using these products because I got the best information/help from the Sherwin Williams people. They went the extra mile to be helpful to me, and that counts for a lot in my book!

Guest GaWajn

Here is another piece from the same area of the car ...

DSCF1733_zps243fc741.jpg

... as you can see, it is very rusty and full of pits ...

DSCF1734_zpscaf321a9.jpg

... cleaned up in the cabinet ... as best I could ...

DSCF1735_zps896bc3ee.jpg

... we will see what the sprayable putty will do on this tomorrow ...

Guest GaWajn

DSCF1735_zps896bc3ee.jpg

... this piece needed to be bent back into shape I think ...

DSCF1737_zpsad26fded.jpg

... I just used a vice as a bending machine ...

DSCF1738_zps8d71fd30.jpg

DSCF1741_zpse2719871.jpg

... almost good as new ...

• 2 weeks later...

More cleaning ... same process ... different parts ...

45-DSCF1783_zpse66e6676.jpg

45-DSCF1788_zpsdf83ceff.jpg

I wonder if you can get the air cleaner decals from somewhere? Anyone have any ideas where they could be sourced?

45-DSCF1790_zps54836b53.jpg

I masked the inside of the cleaner because it did not need any blasting ... and since it is left bare metal ... it looks nicer if it is not blasted ...

45-DSCF1791_zpsbcd45174.jpg

One more for the semi gloss black painting pile ... :)

45-DSCF1794_zps4870909e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

... I spent the afternoon making a cart for the body.

DSCF1804_zps821b27ef.jpg

... started with an old boat trailer that was rotting out in the back lot ...

DSCF1805_zpse53c6515.jpg

DSCF1806_zps03fa6865.jpg

... obviously ... this is a yard trailer ... for light loads ... no way this contraption is ever going back on the road, with tandem loads ...

DSCF1807_zpsd4448914.jpg

... I just used old parts ... metal that was laying around ... the setup is good enough that I will be able to wheel the body around until I get a rotisserie made to start the body work. The goal is to get the body off the frame and onto the trailer, then wheel the frame into my shop and start working on that.

DSCF1808_zpsa9d28968.jpg

pulled the car into the big shop to start the body off the frame stage of this project.

DSCF1809_zps95b7c3f9.jpg

... once the splash guard was removed, this puller worked to get the pitman arm away from the steering box/column ...

DSCF1810_zps958c9941.jpg

... column out of the car ... half the body mount bolts came out ok ... some broke ... some need to cut off with a torch ...

DSCF1811_zpsfba9eda3.jpg

lift back ... support ... lift front ... support ... rinse and repeat till the tires are clear to roll under the body

DSCF1814_zps408b9188.jpg

... frame rolled out from under the body ...

DSCF1818_zps8f5dc491.jpg

... body dropped onto the modded boat trailer ...

DSCF1819_zpsddb6cea5.jpg

... frame rolled into my shop ... now I have something to do for the next few weeks/months. Now that was a good days work!

I couldn't believe it ... there were 24 body mount bolts!

DSCF1847_zps1591e5f3.jpg

I am amazed how easy the brake drums were to remove ... I needed to remove them because the emergency cable needed to be released from the rear brakes ... to be able to remove the rear end from the frame.

DSCF1853_zpsf4e535cf.jpg

... here you see what needs to be removed from the rear brakes ...

DSCF1855_zps2ec1be11.jpg

... rear end is free ... just needed to remove the shackles and front leaf spring mounting bolts ... everything came apart easy ...

DSCF1856_zps7a3fa65c.jpg

... except ... these bushings. I hammered on them a bit, but I didn't want to break anything. Do they just need to be hammered out? Are these bushings still available? The rear shackle mount is riveted to the frame. How do you guys go about restoring that part ... just remove and replace? I don't have access to a riveter so if I replace the unit with bolts ... it will not be correct ... any ideas/experience with this out there?

DSCF1858_zps3c41cdf5.jpg

DSCF1859_zps468e8894.jpg

... these two pics show the driver side rear most part of the X member ... bent. I have no idea how this could have happened ... the rest of the frame is straight as an arrow. We can't find any evidence of it being hit ... or any other bending ... hmmmm ....

... on the bright side ... there are no holes in the frame ... just surface rust/scaling. It looks like clean and paint ... after I fix the bend in the X member ...

Got most of the front end/brake lines/gas lines off ...

DSCF1863_zps347f3908.jpg

Shocks are out as well ...

DSCF1862_zps27ac2841.jpg

Now i need to borrow some kind of coil spring compressor to remove the control arms etc ...

DSCF1860_zps8e3e8d83.jpg