1952 Pontiac Catalina

Guest GaWajn

Ouch! Well ... I am not separating the trunk lid parts, that's for sure. I will remove what I can ... clean as best I can ... and refinish. I will probably apply some new sound deadener material. What are you guys using on this vintage of GM cars?

I had the same issue with my '41 Buick. The construction is pretty much the same, the deadner is sandwiched between the two trunk sections. I did what you're doing, cleaned off the visible material, and painted it, as the parts that were peeling showed rust underneath.

I would like to replace it with some new pieces, cut to shape, but I haven't found the right stuff, yet.

Keith

39-Trim-15.jpg

One of these is straight ... the other is bent ... I will be looking for one ...

39-Trim-14.jpg

I thought this was kinda neat ... an oil change sticker from 1969, with 48K miles aprox ...

39-Trim-13.jpg

I removed the sill trim plates and underneath was very crusty ... both inner and outer rockers will need replacing ...

39-Trim-12.jpg

One sill plate good ... the other bad. I will be looking for a pair I guess, because the ones I have seen for sale don't have quite the same motif on the plate ...

39-Trim-02.jpg

The interior sun visors are in great shape and probably will only need a good cleaning ...

38-Trunk-21.jpg

Underneath the jute trunk liner was glue, the colour of red oxide primer over body schutz ... at least that is what it looks like ...

SCHUTZ - PAINT - GLUE (red oxide colour) - a tar like FELT LINER - then a JUTE LINER. that seems like the original sequence or materials applied in the trunk.

38-Trunk-22.jpg

Edited by GaWajn (see edit history)

39-Trim-25.jpg

I got the interior stainless removed ... along with painted panels ... in preparation for headliner removal.

39-Trim-24.jpg

Most everything is held by screws except the front most upper moldings ... they are held on with spring clips.

39-Trim-26.jpg

I gently removed then with slight pressure using this plastic tool. I was afraid of bending the molding, but it came out nicely.

39-Trim-20.jpg

Most all painted parts on the inside will just need paint stripping and repainting ...

As far as the trunk SCHUTZ goes ... I have a mind to keep it there and just apply paint over it (after a good cleaning). From there ... I could just apply the felt paper and jute just like they did at the factory.

It was a different story under the hood, because the rust proofing material was sprayed on after market. This stuff in the trunk looks like factory applied to me ...

Time to remove the rear bumper ...

DSCF1337.jpg

Of course ... every bolt broke ...

DSCF1343.jpg

I decided to drop the gas tank while I was at it. The one remaining tank strap came off very easily, but to cut the wire and gas line, I had to remove the back wheel. Well after 30 minutes of trying ... I finally called my buddy up to ask his opinion on the matter. The answer ... try reversing the impact gun ... in this case ... righty loosy ... Well I don't know if you guys ever get that ''I'M SO STUPID'' feeling ... but I had it today ... wheel came right off ... cut the lines ... dropped the tank in a matter of minutes.

DSCF1352.jpg

At first inspection ... the tank looks quite good. I will eventually bring it to the local gas tank guys and see what's really the situation.

Next up ... removing the rear apron/splash pan.

DSCF1345.jpg

It came off easily enough ... just sheet metal screws holding it on. It is a bit crusty, but reusable I think.

DSCF1349.jpg

I do have a bit of metal patching to do in the trunk rear corner floor area ...

DSCF1351.jpg

DSCF1350.jpg

I also removed the doors.

DSCF1342.jpg

The door jack tool is a godsend. It makes the door removal so much easier. If you can beg/steal/borrow one ... do so! In my case ... i borrowed it :)

The answer ... try reversing the impact gun ... in this case ... righty loosy ... Well I don't know if you guys ever get that ''I'M SO STUPID'' feeling ... but I had it today ... wheel came right off ....

Ah yes, a Pontiac quirk that has been long forgotten and certainly new to a new owner. Pontiacs up to 1963 had left hand lug nuts on the left side. If you look at your hub and axle you will see there is an "L" stamped on the end of the stud. It is lucky that unlike many you did not get a big cheater bar and twist them off--good to be careful, Todd C

Time to strip the seats and carpeting ...

40-Interiorremoval-05.jpg

Just four bolts holding the seat down on each side ...

40-Interiorremoval-14.jpg

Two baffles/heating deflectors ... pretty neat system ...

40-Interiorremoval-21.jpg

40-Interiorremoval-28.jpg

On the hump where you check and fill auto trans fluid ...

40-Interiorremoval-23.jpg

40-Interiorremoval-27.jpg

A few mice nests in the back seat ... gotta remove all that muck. I wore a face mask and gloves ... you never know if stuff like that is bad for you.

40-Interiorremoval-29.jpg

The remains of a couple of long term residents ...

On to the trim and window removal

42-Interior-07.jpg

43-Windows-03.jpg

There are a lot of hidden screws ... reading the body manual helps ...

42-Interior-08.jpg

Some are held by clips ...

43-Windows-08.jpg

43-Windows-04.jpg

Rear out ...

43-Windows-05.jpg

Channels in fair shape ...

43-Windows-01.jpg

It took some finagling and wiggling to get the quarter windows out ... but out they are ...

43-Windows-02.jpg

Front winsheilds out ... channels also in fair shape ...

43-Windows-07.jpg

Wiring removed up to the dash ...

42-Interior-16.jpg

I now only have the dash to remove and the body will be completely stripped ...

Yep ... going with original colors. I just got a formula for the Seamist Green today. i can't get it in the ATX basecoat. I can only get it in the genesis line from Sherwin Williams. This paint is a heavy duty long wearing commercial paint. Of course ... it has to be expensive. But at least ... it's a match. I will be able to use the same clearcoat on both types of paint.

I bought a Brooklands book at Hershey this year, a compilation of road tests of Pontiacs from 1946-1963. I'm up to 1961 so almost near the end. Lots of tests of '49-'54 models and they were all very complimentary to these Pontiacs. They were solid, durable cars. I have to laugh at how all of the tests remarked about the location of the ash tray and lighter. They were also criticized for the large round speaker grille in the middle of the dash because it could present a hazard to the middle seat passenger in the event of a panic stop. I remember my paternal grandfather's '49 2 door sedan, black with grey interior, straight 8, 3 speed. My maternal grandfather had a '46 sedan, '49 2 door sedan, '53 4 door and '58 4 door - which was his last car when he stopped driving in 1970. And one of my uncles had a '54 sedan, so I remember many rides in Pontiacs of this vintage.I will be very intereted in seeing your progress.