First Dodge

Guest Jeffholderman

Welcome! Try this for photos Jeff. It is good to know. We LOVE photos! >>>

- Some instructions for putting "Thumbnail" style photo attachments on your posts. It is really pretty easy! You just have to be in the "Advanced" posting mode to be able to see the right icons. And you have to have the photos previously saved in a correct size (more on that later) on your computer in a place that makes sense to you so you can find any particular shot later.

1) Click on either the "New Reply" button to the left or the "Go Advanced" button below. (If this is a new thread you are starting, be sure to give it a "Title:" that identifies the subject of your thread and the year of your car.)

2) On the top row of your reply "Message:" box you will see a paper clip icon. Click on it or on the “Attach Files - Manage Attachments" button down in the Additional Options section below.

3) The "Manage Attachments" window will appear.

4) Click on the "Browse" button for that window.

5) A browse dialog will appear. Browse to the location of the file on your computer.

6) Click on the file twice to select it

7) From the "Manage Attachments" window click on "Upload" button.

8) Slide down a bit in this window and confirm all the attachments were successful.

9) Close the "Manage Attachments" window.

10) Click the "Preview Post" button to see what the message will look like.

11) Submit your reply when your message text construction is complete.

One thing to keep in mind when preparing your photos before attaching, is to make sure they are under 2MB in size each and that their dimensions are not over 2000 pixels in both vertical and horizontal directions. That will mean the max resolution for a photo will probably be from 150 ppi to not over 300 ppi.

Hope all this helps! ;)

How to Add Photos to AACA Posts.pdf

Guest Jeffholderman

have ran in to my first bump the crank spindle (not sure of proper termanology this is my first "crank" start) going through the frame how the heck do i get it out is it pressed or is there a mechanical connection im missing?

Guest Jeffholderman

the place where you put the engine crank in goes through the frame and into the engineblock/cam i cannot get this piece out to allow me to pull engine,,,,,question being is this pressed in???

Hi Jeff,

Yes the hand crank goes through a hole and engages at the front of the crankshaft. The hole cover screws in with right hand threads. The cover should have a 1/2 inch square hole to put the opposite end of the hand crank in to unscrew it (or a 1/2 drive rachet). If it's buggered up, you may have to grip it on the edges with channellocks or vice grips. Good luck!

Guest Jeffholderman

mike yup learned my second lesson first was posting pictures. Next question the box shown on the back was that a option or someones attempt at a trunk? has anyone else seen one of these before i like it very functional but wanna make the car correct

Jeff, it appears from the first photo (in your last post) that you still have the front valence on. In order to undo the front engine mount you need to remove the crank hole cover, remove the valence and then you will see the 3 bolt heads that secure the ball socket-style front motor mount. With he engine supported by lift, pull the ball looking part out of the crank hole. Sorry I don't have pics of doing this.

Guest Jeffholderman

ya i got it mike that pic was before i read your post i went out and took it off a few minutes ago the cover and valence are now off body comes off tomorrow...whats the best source for engine rebuild kits and transmission parts

mike yup learned my second lesson first was posting pictures. Next question the box shown on the back was that a option or someones attempt at a trunk? has anyone else seen one of these before i like it very functional but wanna make the car correct

Your trunk was an accessory but looks like a period correct accessory so I personally would say its correct for the car, much like step plates or wind wings.

Thanks Pete. Those do help. Can you get one shot from the other side of engine showing how the pivot is installed (near the exhaust manifold big nut). It's where the motion of the advance 'cross over' rod transfers to the rod going to distributor.

Hey Jeff! I would love a close-up photo of your wiper motor when you have a chance! It's for another thread.......

Bill

Bill your making me proud

Guest Jeffholderman

I posted the Willard tag hoping to get some feedback I search and found nothing not sure what it is will post wiper motor in a few

Edited by Jeffholderman (see edit history)

Guest Jeffholderman

the willard tag must have been the model of battery the only thing i can find would be willard batteries from the 19020s

Guest 1930

Willard did supply the batteries for thes early Dodge Brothers cars but that still dosent explain he tag

Brilliant detective work Jeff! If Willard supplied batteries to Dodge Brothers, perhaps they did a deal on price to advertise their name on the cars? If this was the case, would we not have seen these tags more often? I don't know.

About the wiper motor, Yours is like others we have seen; it is mounted upside down - presumably it will not fit the other way up? That's in no way a criticism; just another observation on the way to a better undestanding of these things. Thanks.

Ray

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Hi Jim, that was my first thought but as Jason has confirmed that Willard supplied batteries to Dodge Brothers and the advertisement shown in Jeff's post has the same font as the tag, then unless Willard were also distributors, it is looking like an ad for the battery suppliers having done some sort of deal with Dodge Brothers.

(I know this sort of thing went on in England, for example, when William Lyons was running Jaguar during the production of the 'E' type, he did a deal with Dunlop so that only their tyres were used on the new car. He not only got the tyres for free but took a fee for every one fitted !!)

Guest 1930
Could be that the Willard tag is from the dealer that originally sold the car. I have a couple tags that are similar and they were from the original dealership that sold DB's

Jim

I think this opinion is more plausible, we would have seen or read something in literature before now if there were a special deal. Hard to say though I guess