A Class Question

60FlatTop

I am looking forward to the 2012 season of Buick events and just printed out the registration for the Northeast Nationals.

My 1986 Electra Park Avenue left the factory as a coupe and was delivered to the first owner as a convertible. I have restored the car mechanically as original. Would registering for BCA events as Class G (1975 to Current) be appropriate?

Bernie

010s.jpg

011s.jpg

We would accept your car in that class or in Class I, Modified. It's pretty much a stock car, and since this is peer judging, there are no rules for how you have to display the vehicle. It's gonna be a mostly visual thing for most judges. The more unique and the better the workmanship, the better your chances of winning an award.

Bernie,

Just as a side note, I was browsing the EZ-on auto tops catalogue last week, and I noticed they had a top available for the 86-89 Electra PA.

IMO, cars like yours (of which a quite few were made I'm assuming) should be judged as their hardtop counterparts would be.

While it's not a "Factory Option", it was still a car that was converted in a decent amount of volume. Therefore, I don't think any points should be taken off for the convertible conversation.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the comments. Now I can finish the Northeast Regional application for sure. :)

I have never been much of a "points" guy. My concern was having it sitting out of context, if you will, with a wide range of very different styles of car. It is pretty neat to compare the changes that were made. Here is a stock coupe quarterwindow, quite a difference.

Coupe6.PNG

Bernie

John, Mine was done by Car Craft:

car22.bmp

in Lima, Ohio, the same town as Hess & Eisenhardt. I think a lot of left over parts from the Riviera/Eldorado conversions found their way into these cars. I had an H&E 1982 Eldo and this job shows more attention to detail.

I have been researching info online for a couple of years. It appears mine is the only PA in the US and their a red PA in Ontario. I would like to learn more.

Bernie

If you're talking about my BCA # Bernie, I started with the BCA in 1974. I did drop out for a while around 1984-1988, but when I re joined I asked if I could be reinstated to my original number, and I was.

Sorry abut the confusion. I was referring to John Scheib which looked like 10093 to me earlier today. Sixth week after the double bypass, home alone with no hot food. Makes the world a little blurry.

Bernie

Bernie,

If you were entering the Nationals, Class "S" is where your car would go. It is a new class set up for modified cars that look like a factory vehicle. Hearses and ambulances for example, go into this class.

Kevin,

Thanks for the info on the new class. That is the kind of thing I am trying to avoid. Imagine my innocent little car parked between that real nice black '50 ambulance and a red and white '58 ambulance. People would be attracted to cars like that from across the field and trip over mine getting to them. The same would happen in the "I" modified where big engines are exposed and viewer's priorities are based on a whole different flavor.

I would just like to have it parked in a row with it's contemporaries.

Bernie

Bernie,

As noted, the S Class was new last year and this will be the second year. At this point, there is nothing written in an addendum to the judging manual as best I can determine. Last year I believe there were only a few cars, and they were both, I think, Professional Vehicles. While that may be the majority of the cars in this class, there may also be a number of custom made convertibles, stretch limos also, so I would think your need not worry about your car would blending with an ambulance.

As a note to Kevin and others, it might be good to post some guidelines somewhere as to what constitutes this "S" Judging Class and the new Racing Class until such time as the Judging Manual is revised and re-published.

John

There are already a few 1990's Riviera convertibles registered, and they are in the 'S' class as Special vehicles. They are the same situation, they left the factory as coupes and were professionally converted to convertibles afterwards. So your car should feel right at home there.

Guest my3buicks

How would these cars differ or be looked at differently than lets say a Brunn or Brewster Buick, or an Iona bodied wagon. A custom built/ordered Buick is a custom built/ordered Buick.

I doubt a Brunn or Brewster would be tossed in the new class ? ! ?

I am sure the key is who & when the changes were ordered.

Keith,

I think the later companies who emulate the work of Brunn or Brewster have better tools and equipment to work with. Various types of available welding processes and a more flexible supplier network actually leads to higher quality. I have worked on Fleetwood bodies and found lap joints just oozing body solder around brazing.

Many times I have thought how amazed the workers at Brunn, Brewster, or Fleetwood would be if they saw what some home hobbyists equip their garages with. Even an Eastwood catalog would blow them away!

Cars like Kevin's Rivieras, my little convertible, have some special construction and design considerations; features which are best appreciated when displayed with their peer models, like the older Special models. They are the things a Riviera or Electra aficionado would check out.

Bernie

Guest my3buicks

I would agree as long as the car in question was done before delivery to customer or by a known conversion documented conversion company when car was new.

John, Mine was done by Car Craft:

car22.bmp

in Lima, Ohio, the same town as Hess & Eisenhardt. I think a lot of left over parts from the Riviera/Eldorado conversions found their way into these cars. I had an H&E 1982 Eldo and this job shows more attention to detail.

I have been researching info online for a couple of years. It appears mine is the only PA in the US and their a red PA in Ontario. I would like to learn more.

Bernie

Hess & Eisenhardt was located in Blue Ash, Ohio which is a northern suburb of Cincinnati. I was in their facility in the late 1980's.

Guest my3buicks

Larry, not only for this meet, but also future events an clarification - I would submit copies of all documentation( letters, brochures, invoices, picture of door label), anything that you have on the car, on Hess & Eisenhardt to the Nationtion Chief Judge for consideration for entry into it's normal judging class.

My intent is to go to a Buick Club meet and enjoy the day with owners of similar cars where there is some continuity among the owners parked near me and what the spectators are viewing.

Bernie

You should be able to do that, no matter what class they put it in. The actual show is on Saturday inside the racetrack. Before then (Wednesday thru Friday), the Buicks can be parked in a reserved area of the hotel parking lot, open to everyone, with no definitave place to park, so you can park it anywhere in there. Find a similar Buick and park next to them.