53 skylark on craigs list

pphil

Yes, I agree, one car worth putting some money into, and if you can do some of the work yourself, you could be ahead on this one......a great project......

"if you can do some work yourself" being the key word indeed.

I don't follow these cars too much but do pay attention to any 53 Skylark I hear about since they seem to be the Holy Grail. If this car is complete and in the condition stated, his asking price is very reasonable. Its not going to last long. $32k is chump change for the guys who have the bank account to restore these.

So anyone have a line on what market value is today on a properly restored 53?

I want to see what a 60k restoration looks like on a 53 Skylark. There is 30k worth of chrome alone on that car. I assume a restoration at this price would be by a hobbyist. Keep in mind, when you see crazy prices for these cars it is for perfect professional jobs. Very few of us can pull that off at home.

That said, if the car runs and drives and is semi-presentable, that is a very reasonable price for someone to have a car like that to bomb around in.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

60K if you did virtually all the work yourself. We did one a few years ago and the chrome, including the 5 original wire wheels was near 30K. Difficult cars to restore with their labyrinth of hydraulic lines, Dynoc dash and garnish mouldings and complicated interiors.

60K if you did virtually all the work yourself. We did one a few years ago and the chrome, including the 5 original wire wheels was near 30K. Difficult cars to restore with their labyrinth of hydraulic lines, Dynoc dash and garnish mouldings and complicated interiors.

I've very proud of myself :). I pulled the 30k number out of thin air.

I remember the wheels were $1000 each to plate plus we then had to buy, polish and install the stainless spokes. I'm guessing a complete interior, top and trunk lining would be at least 6k now for just the kit. We paid $1200 for what I think was the last '53 Skylark

windshield on earth though I understand they are now available again at a lesser price.